Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New York City to Remove Mentally Ill People From Streets Against Their Will

Michelle

Mayor Eric Adams directed the police and emergency medical workers to take people they deemed too mentally ill to care for themselves to hospitals, even if they posed no threat to others.

Acting to address “a crisis we see all around us” toward the end of a year that has seen a string of high-profile crimes involving homeless people, Mayor Eric Adams announced a major push on Tuesday to remove people with severe, untreated mental illness from the city’s streets and subways.

Mr. Adams, who has made clearing homeless encampments a priority since taking office in January, said the effort would require involuntarily hospitalizing people who were a danger to themselves, even if they posed no risk of harm to others, arguing the city had a “moral obligation” to help them.

“The common misunderstanding persists that we cannot provide involuntary assistance unless the person is violent,” Mr. Adams said in an address at City Hall. “Going forward, we will make every effort to assist those who are suffering from mental illness.”

cont...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/29/nyregion/nyc-mentally-ill-involuntary-custody.html

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I expect those of the opposite political persuasion to the mayor will be making Nazi allusions shortly. 
I sy good on him IF it’s an attempt to genuinely help and not just to “clean up the streets” 

• Like 9

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I expect those of the opposite political persuasion to the mayor will be making Nazi allusions shortly. 
I sy good on him IF it’s an attempt to genuinely help and not just to “clean up the streets” 

I agree.   Too many citys are putting people on buses to other cities, and in Albuquerque the previous mayor set up a tiny homes village with 60 homes and room for more but the current mayor has made it almost impossible for anyone to qualify to occupy those tiny homes.  He designated a park for them to camp in to keep them out of other parks all over the city, then he shut that park down due to crime and violence with no alternatives offered for the people who need a place.   We have people camping under the freeway over passes and in culverts close to the freeway, and more arriving from Denver and other cities every day.   Someone has to have some kind of sane solution, like getting the venture capitalists out of real estate, and not allowing housing costs to balloon.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I agree.   Too many citys are putting people on buses to other cities, and in Albuquerque the previous mayor set up a tiny homes village with 60 homes and room for more but the current mayor has made it almost impossible for anyone to qualify to occupy those tiny homes.  He designated a park for them to camp in to keep them out of other parks all over the city, then he shut that park down due to crime and violence with no alternatives offered for the people who need a place.   We have people camping under the freeway over passes and in culverts close to the freeway, and more arriving from Denver and other cities every day.   Someone has to have some kind of sane solution, like getting the venture capitalists out of real estate, and not allowing housing costs to balloon.

Imagine the irony if he started sending them to Florida and Texas.

The true solution would be to treat/incorporate them where they are instead of treating people like cattle and shipping them off.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Gromdor said:

Imagine the irony if he started sending them to Florida and Texas.

The true solution would be to treat/incorporate them where they are instead of treating people like cattle and shipping them off.

The reasons people are homeless is not simple, there are almost as many reasons as people, and the problem is lumping them all into one category of "useless" does not help anyone, not them or the community they are living in.   Mental health is a big problem and maybe the NY city Mayor has the start to a solution.   I hope the hospitals aren't overloaded due to lack of staff there like they are here with covid and RSV patients sitting in the ER waiting room for hours or days.   

There has to be a more humane way to help the homeless people (not deal with them, HELP them).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

The ones Govenor Gregg Abbot is  shipping off are  illegal aliens, not homeless.  Those who are homeless and want to work, should be allowed to go and  live in that tiny home community. Then they have an address to give social services, employers etc. For the others, maybe have a place like that too, BUT if they have alcohol or other drug issues, work on rehab and maybe  have them  help keep up the grounds or other things. For the homeless who are no danger to anyone, they could also go to some place like that. However, alot of these people  don't like the rules that places like the Salvation Army, Society of St.Vincent De Paul and other religious or civic groups have in place at their homeless shelters. Those who are a menace to not only the general public as well as even other homeless  should be placed in a hospital. Yes the asylums of old were snake pits, but many of these folks who attack or kill innocent people  regardless of their social circumstances would in the old days be locked up.

• Like 3

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

The reasons people are homeless is not simple, there are almost as many reasons as people, and the problem is lumping them all into one category of "useless" does not help anyone, not them or the community they are living in.   Mental health is a big problem and maybe the NY city Mayor has the start to a solution.   I hope the hospitals aren't overloaded due to lack of staff there like they are here with covid and RSV patients sitting in the ER waiting room for hours or days.   

There has to be a more humane way to help the homeless people (not deal with them, HELP them).

Here in Iowa our old Governor Brandstad closed down two of our mental health facilities back in 2015.  We have issues now Western Iowa providers struggle to bring timely mental health care amid staffing shortage | Iowa Public Radio 

“If you don't have a provider that's willing and able to take that individual, what do you do?” Walter asked. “I hate to admit it, but there have been situations where we've had to take people to the homeless shelters, in Sioux City or Sioux Falls, just for somewhere for them to be.”- from the article.

Iowa doesn't have a huge homelessness problem mostly because if they stay here they willl freeze to death in winter so that forces them to move someplace warmer (or kinder).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Here in Iowa our old Governor Brandstad closed down two of our mental health facilities back in 2015.  We have issues now Western Iowa providers struggle to bring timely mental health care amid staffing shortage | Iowa Public Radio 

“If you don't have a provider that's willing and able to take that individual, what do you do?” Walter asked. “I hate to admit it, but there have been situations where we've had to take people to the homeless shelters, in Sioux City or Sioux Falls, just for somewhere for them to be.”- from the article.

Iowa doesn't have a huge homelessness problem mostly because if they stay here they willl freeze to death in winter so that forces them to move someplace warmer (or kinder).

We had 3 hospitals closed in 2019 in New Mexico.   And doctors and nurses have been leaving the state or quiting in droves since the 90's.  No one cares to figure out a way to recruit them.  The Navajo nation pays for all college for their people and expects them to come home and help their people but even they are having problems keeping doctors.  no one wants to be a doctor in such a remote area I guess.

• Like 3

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

We had 3 hospitals closed in 2019 in New Mexico.   And doctors and nurses have been leaving the state or quiting in droves since the 90's.  No one cares to figure out a way to recruit them.  The Navajo nation pays for all college for their people and expects them to come home and help their people but even they are having problems keeping doctors.  no one wants to be a doctor in such a remote area I guess.

That's our problem too.  I just got back from Florida and talked with the brother-in-laws golfing partners.  There are some doctors and dentists there and they make $400k a year in Miami.  Going to some rural clinic in Iowa for $96,000 doesn't motivate them at all.

• Like 3

That's our problem too.  I just got back from Florida and talked with the brother-in-laws golfing partners.  There are some doctors and dentists there and they make $400k a year in Miami.  Going to some rural clinic in Iowa for $96,000 doesn't motivate them at all.

Hmmm.  In the 90's when I worked for Cardiologists and something happened in the state (paperwork not filled out) so that medicare started paying 60% of what it had the doctors complained that they could no longer make 700,000 a year and were only getting 400,000 a year.   Things have changed so that private practice is not viable for a lot of doctors any more.  Part of it was the high mal practice insurance policies they have to pay.  Somehow our health care costs a lot more (starting with insurance) and we get less for our money.  I was better off in the 80's without health insurance than I am now with a high deductible insurance that pays nothing until the deductible is reached.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

This is how I feel too.

A homeless person walking through the stress talking to themselves with clearly active psychosis needs taken to the hospital and injected with long acting antipsychotics. They have shots now that last for a couple months. Giving them time to get lucid and be together a bit.

But if we do this without increasing hospital capacity than we will run into a problem.

If the intention is to help than help. If it's just to throw people in jail than it's bad 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Hmmm.  In the 90's when I worked for Cardiologists and something happened in the state (paperwork not filled out) so that medicare started paying 60% of what it had the doctors complained that they could no longer make 700,000 a year and were only getting 400,000 a year.   Things have changed so that private practice is not viable for a lot of doctors any more.  Part of it was the high mal practice insurance policies they have to pay.  Somehow our health care costs a lot more (starting with insurance) and we get less for our money.  I was better off in the 80's without health insurance than I am now with a high deductible insurance that pays nothing until the deductible is reached.

I imagine stuff like paying back ther student loans, malpractice insurance, and the like all factor in.  But honestly I believe we are just simply overpriced to ensure a maximum profit for the healthcare industry.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

This is how I feel too.

A homeless person walking through the stress talking to themselves with clearly active psychosis needs taken to the hospital and injected with long acting antipsychotics. They have shots now that last for a couple months. Giving them time to get lucid and be together a bit.

But if we do this without increasing hospital capacity than we will run into a problem.

If the intention is to help than help. If it's just to throw people in jail than it's bad 

That's just it.  We don't throw them in jail unless they commit a crime.  We usually just drop them off at a homeless shelter.

• Like 3

Just now, Gromdor said:

That's just it.  We don't throw them in jail unless they commit a crime.  We usually just drop them off at a homeless shelter.

Where do they take an involuntary commitment if the hospital is full? I assume some places would hold them in jail until their is an opening, but idk for sure. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Those people are being sent for a VERY specific reason and I'm sure you know what it is, you just disagree.  The BEST solution is to stop endless cross-border migration.  When enough of them begin to overrun an area, you can expect serious conflict, at least in some parts of the country.  That isn't going to be pleasant to be a part of or to handle once it begins.  EVERY MEMBER of the current administration should be tried for treason, IMO.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, and-then said:

Those people are being sent for a VERY specific reason and I'm sure you know what it is, you just disagree.  The BEST solution is to stop endless cross-border migration.  When enough of them begin to overrun an area, you can expect serious conflict, at least in some parts of the country.  That isn't going to be pleasant to be a part of or to handle once it begins.  EVERY MEMBER of the current administration should be tried for treason, IMO.

Those, Them, They.  I wish they would come here.  We need workers in my state.  But I imagine the conservatives here would forever treat them as "Those, Them, They"s as well.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Another aspect of this that will likely cause the rule to spread in Blue cities will be the ability, without clear guidelines, to name an individual a threat to themselves and that be recognized as the same thing as "involuntary commitment for mental illness"

Once that little leap of logic is accepted, EVERY SINGLE one of those people will forever be restricted from purchasing a firearm.  Isn't it lovely the way the Democrats find solutions to those pesky rights of their citizens?

10 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

I imagine stuff like paying back ther student loans, malpractice insurance, and the like all factor in.  But honestly I believe we are just simply overpriced to ensure a maximum profit for the healthcare industry.

Yes, too many factors increasing the prices.   If we could get the for profit hospitals to sponsor doctors & nurses, pay their schooling, then require them to work for that hospital for 10 years we might be able to get more doctors where they are needed.   Too many CEOs lookig at the bottom line and their bonus to realize it is an unsustainable sytem unless they change things.

• Like 2

Just now, Gromdor said:

Those, Them, They.  I wish they would come here.  We need workers in my state.  But I imagine the conservatives here would forever treat them as "Those, Them, They"s as well.

Then the owners should come to TX and recruit.  You are covering for a government that has totally opened our borders to the tune of 2 MILLION per year that aren't even being vetted, or identified in most cases.  The idea is obvious.  As soon as they get here, the welfare system has to allow them goods and services and any ID they are given will eventually make them voters.  The funny part of this is that those who say they're so concerned for these poor people, will eventually GET what they're working for.  A single party government.  Look around, Cletus... it's been TWO YEARS and our nation is effing collapsing around us.  I have a name for people who work to cause that but I can't use it here.  Keep voting for them.  When it all begins burning down around you, enjoy your efforts...

1 minute ago, and-then said:

Another aspect of this that will likely cause the rule to spread in Blue cities will be the ability, without clear guidelines, to name an individual a threat to themselves and that be recognized as the same thing as "involuntary commitment for mental illness"

Once that little leap of logic is accepted, EVERY SINGLE one of those people will forever be restricted from purchasing a firearm.  Isn't it lovely the way the Democrats find solutions to those pesky rights of their citizens?

Seems like some fear mongering.

Florida for example already has red flag laws, which is a good thing. 

The newer criteria seems to be 

The city directive states that “unawareness or delusional misapprehension of surroundings” or “delusional misapprehension of physical condition or health” could be grounds for hospitalization.

Try involuntarily commiting someone who isn't experiencing psychosis and see what kind of lawsuit you get lol.

• Like 4

Just now, and-then said:

Then the owners should come to TX and recruit.  You are covering for a government that has totally opened our borders to the tune of 2 MILLION per year that aren't even being vetted, or identified in most cases.  The idea is obvious.  As soon as they get here, the welfare system has to allow them goods and services and any ID they are given will eventually make them voters.  The funny part of this is that those who say they're so concerned for these poor people, will eventually GET what they're working for.  A single party government.  Look around, Cletus... it's been TWO YEARS and our nation is effing collapsing around us.  I have a name for people who work to cause that but I can't use it here.  Keep voting for them.  When it all begins burning down around you, enjoy your efforts...

They moved the factory to Mexico..... John Deere is moving its tractor cab production from Waterloo to Mexico (yahoo.com)

Or are local small businesses without the resources to travel out of state to recruit: Brewery in Ankeny closes, citing labor shortages and rising costs (aol.com)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, and-then said:

Oh give me a break, are you making this about illegal aliens?   Have you ever been to south Texas, southern New Mexico, or sothern Arizona?    The homeless people in the area I live are mostly local or from the midwest.   The illegal aliens are not camping under the freeways, they find jobs and some place to live, and if they are trafficked they live 20 to a room with a coyote getting them jobs and taking their money.   

AND every state has different welfare laws and I will tell you, if you don't have an id or an address you don't get welfare, so your sillyness about illegals getting welfare the minute they step into the country is just buill*****t!

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, and-then said:

You are covering for a government that has totally opened our borders to the tune of 2 MILLION per year that aren't even being vetted, or identified in most cases.  The idea is obvious. 

All of the homeless people I have encountered are white native born Americans who speak English as their mother tongue.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

If good intention, hope they get the help needed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1