Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neuralink Shows Sake the Monkey Typing With Its Brain Chip

Grim Reaper 6

Neuralink, the Elon Musk startup that hopes to get our brains to link directly to computers, on Wednesday demonstrated how a monkey named Sake could type by using just its mind to control a virtual keyboard. The monkey didn't know how to spell, but it could track the keys Neuralink spotlighted in yellow on the screen. An N1 chip, embedded in the monkey's skull, registered the brain activity to control how the monkey moved a cursor around the screen. 

It's a step beyond the Mind Pong game Neuralink showed in 2021, but so far it still only listens to neural activity. Ultimately, the company's plan is to send signals to the brain too. That'll enable the two first medical uses cases: helping the blind to see and helping quadriplegics to walk. We're confident someone who has no other interface to the outside world would be better to control their phone better than someone who has working hands," Musk said at Neuralink's "show and tell" event. "Sake the monkey is moving the mouse cursor using just his mind."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/neuralink-shows-sake-the-monkey-typing-with-its-brain-chip/ar-AA14Lfng?cvid=35ee337fe7cc4819a11dafcc3fc1ba49

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Ya, I can't see how this tech could possibly be misused.

Well anything can be, however if it helps people walk again or the blind to see it’s served it intended purpose. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hankenhunter said:

Ya, I can't see how this tech could possibly be misused.

Example?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Example?

I can think of a negative use for this technology, possibly mind control or it could be used to control peoples ability to react. I suspect that whatever gift this can give or take away. I can’t say it’s technically possible but I did think about as I was posting this thread. 

• Like 2

I can see the good and the bad.  A brain implant combined with his everything app could let you buy or sell things online with just a thought, enter the internet (Zuckerberg's Metaspace), cure blindness, let the paralyzed walk, etc.  It's a start to true cybernetics.

The downside of course is that it could be used as a police measure too.  If you commit a crime and don't turn yourself in, it could shut off your vision, paralyze you, or perhaps even kill you. 

Granted this is all stuff beyond current technology, but we are headed that way. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, odas said:

Not sure why this is news. There are so many monkeys typing already on various SM sites.

Oh, It's because Musk said they might try the technology on people as early as six months from now: Elon Musk showed off updates to his brain chips and said he’s going to install one in himself when they are ready (msn.com)

• Like 2

Musk likes to hype his stuff up. In 2021 he also claimed they planned to start human trials by the end of 2022.

So I take what he says with a grain of salt. Whenever it starts though I welcome it. There is the potential for great medical advancements 

• Like 3

Some are terrified that Bill Gates put mind control ships in vaccines.  Others are open to Elon to implant chips in their minds.  Some don't trust a mask or vaccine but based on Elon's word they would accept a mysterious chip planted  into their heads?

How do we trust the source of the chips; the government, a billionaire, or some hackers that build a virus into it? 

The potential is great.  So are the realized potential of science and medicine which so many seem to discount.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If this tool can be used to actually help those who are very disabled to get to live a better life, I don't have an issue. HOWEVER it's not going to end well, because then this fool and all the mad scientists out there are going to implant this into or try to put into all of us.. Not to sound preachy, but the Bible in Revelations talks about the Mark of the Beast, and this would certainly qualify .Tateopa, you are correct, how can we, if it ever gets to that point, trust these chips?
  • Confused 1

Adverts straight to the brain.  Personally I'd like less time with computers and not more.  My phone is an annoyance as it is.  The last thing I want is one with direct access to the only privacy I have left.

Edited by Gumball
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Some are terrified that Bill Gates put mind control ships in vaccines.  Others are open to Elon to implant chips in their minds.  Some don't trust a mask or vaccine but based on Elon's word they would accept a mysterious chip planted  into their heads?

How do we trust the source of the chips; the government, a billionaire, or some hackers that build a virus into it? 

The potential is great.  So are the realized potential of science and medicine which so many seem to discount.

Wait until we have the same attitude to the "unchipped" as we do to the unvaxed. Thats the way we're heading, hatred for being different or making different "dangerous" personal decisions 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Example?

Anything connected to the internet has, and will be used for nefarious purposes. Military, politics, advertising, commerce, all have used the net to control people.

You want someone like Musk controlling a chip in your head? Sure he dresses it up with altruistic ideas, but you don't hear about any, and all  drawbacks involved.

• Like 1

Sure there are drawbacks. There is always resistance when science explores new pathways. But without we would still be living in the paleolithic age.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2022 at 7:48 PM, Knob Oddy said:

Wait until we have the same attitude to the "unchipped" as we do to the unvaxed. Thats the way we're heading, hatred for being different or making different "dangerous" personal decisions 

[applause] - good eye, Oddy.

Wait until we get a president that says - "if you don't get chipped, you lose your job"

Whaaaa... we didn't learn our lesson? 

On 12/1/2022 at 8:34 PM, Hankenhunter said:

Anything connected to the internet has, and will be used for nefarious purposes. Military, politics, advertising, commerce, all have used the net to control people.

You want someone like Musk controlling a chip in your head? Sure he dresses it up with altruistic ideas, but you don't hear about any, and all  drawbacks involved.

I wouldn’t want a chip in my head controlled by anyone. But what do you mean someone like Musk? 

This is actually great news. This could eventually be used to cure certain incurable conditions, like Dementia and Glaucoma. The fear mongering needs to stop. 

If evil people want to control everyone, they don't need anything like this. The tech is already in place and very simple. All they have to do is make a cashless society, we're almost there already, and then turn off the chips in your card when they don't like what you do. This will probably be tried. Elon Musk is not going to put a chip in your head and play you like a computer game avatar, lol, just stop it already. 

Edited by Hyperionxvii