Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Average IQ in Europe

jethrofloyd

In my experience, the average IQ in the UK is about 45 - slightly higher than the USA :P     Globally it's not much more though ;)  

• Haha 8

On 12/2/2022 at 7:07 AM, Ell said:

Probably because of their persecution of unmarried mothers.

I looked up Lynn and Vanhanen, because at first sight this map of IQ is nonsense. It turns out, not surprisingly, it is nonsense.

Earl Hunt cited this work as an example of scientists going far beyond the empirical support to make controversial policy recommendations, and as such as examples of irresponsible uses of science. Hunt argues that in their argumentation they both made the basic mistake of assigning causality to a correlation without evidence, and that they made "staggeringly low" estimates of Sub-Saharan African IQs based on highly problematic data. He considers that by their negligence of observing good scientific practice Lynn and Vanhanen are not living up to the basic responsibility of scientists to make sure that their results can function as reasonable empirical support for policy decisions.[19]

IQ and Global Inequality - Wikipedia

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2022 at 11:25 AM, Knob Oddy said:

Not sure what the Irish's excuse is? Whiskey?

Nah, Poitín.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 6:07 PM, Ell said:

Probably because of their persecution of unmarried mothers.

True, it has always seemed a bit counter-productive to oppress loose women to me.  But that's an outcome of stupidity, not a cause.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

that's an outcome of stupidity, not a cause.

So if you were a fertile female and all other characteristics of potential mates being equal you would not choose the smartest male to make love to you?

This is about evolution by sexual selection by the female. In populations that prohibit that process the result will be retarded individuals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ell said:

So if you were a fertile female and all other characteristics of potential mates being equal you would not choose the smartest male to make love to you?

TBH I don't think that is how women choose mates.  Let's be realistic here.  The assumption that all other characteristics are equal is extremely unlikely and most women don't choose intellect as their primary  selection criterion.  Mostly women select for wealth, as they are calculating the resources they will need to raise live young. Humans select for intellect because smart men solve life's problems better and wind up with more money.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

smart men solve life's problems better and wind up with more money.

It are usually the psychopaths and the narcissists that end up with the most money. High IQs - and totally without a conscience.

1 hour ago, Ell said:

It are usually the psychopaths and the narcissists that end up with the most money. High IQs - and totally without a conscience.

Perhaps that is why women keep selecting them?

• Thanks 1

Some lucky people have looks and intelligence. This young lady is smarter than she appears, she was asked if there were problems with the education system and she actually demonstrated that there were:

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 2

On 12/10/2022 at 4:17 AM, Ell said:

This is about evolution by sexual selection by the female. In populations that prohibit that process the result will be retarded individuals.

You forget that some cultures on this planet women are not the choosers, they are the chattel to do what they are told and mate with who pays the best price for them.   Not always money, sometimes political favors or what ever.    Even in the 1st world countries women don't always choose.  Evolution does not really apply to humans any more.   (proof is the Kardashians and Ye, and a lot of others of their ilk)

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

You forget that some cultures on this planet women are not the choosers, they are the chattel to do what they are told and mate with who pays the best price for them.   Not always money, sometimes political favors or what ever.    Even in the 1st world countries women don't always choose.  Evolution does not really apply to humans any more.

I do not forget that at all. My statement applies to all populations that prohibit sexual selection by the female.

• Like 2

On 12/10/2022 at 2:15 PM, Ell said:

ASPD is correlated with below average IQ in virtually all psychopaths and the vast majority of them cannot hold down a job long-term. 

On 12/2/2022 at 12:25 AM, Knob Oddy said:

Might explain some of the posts from our Balkan members.

Not sure what the Irish's excuse is? Whiskey?

A brain drain?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

ASPD is correlated with below average IQ in virtually all psychopaths and the vast majority of them cannot hold down a job long-term. 

Anti social personality disorder is a rather vague term.

So I looked up IQ and yeah...average is 100.  So I just had to know where I was in the 'range' having never had an IQ test that I was aware of....and I found this:

https://www.123test.com/iq-test/id=ZMDKNX221N3C&version=

So I of course took the sample test.  

Your IQ score lies within a range of 101 up to 117.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, joc said:

So I looked up IQ and yeah...average is 100.  So I just had to know where I was in the 'range' having never had an IQ test that I was aware of....and I found this:

https://www.123test.com/iq-test/id=ZMDKNX221N3C&version=

So I of course took the sample test.  

Your IQ score lies within a range of 101 up to 117.

@joc - you are above average then. Average IQ isn't really something to be proud of- it means half the people you meet are cleverer than you are.

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

@joc - you are above average then. Average IQ isn't really something to be proud of- it means half the people you meet are cleverer than you are.

There is more to the human mind than IQ.

Psychopaths and narcissists often have a high IQ. They are also severely mentally handicapped in other aspects. In my opinion there is a causal relationship: they have a high IQ because they are mentally handicapped.

1 hour ago, Ell said:

Psychopaths and narcissists often have a high IQ. They are also severely mentally handicapped in other aspects. In my opinion there is a causal relationship: they have a high IQ because they are mentally handicapped.

No they dont, the vast majority have low IQs.

The violent and aggression dimensions of ASPD are correlated with low IQs in extensive research. With narcissists their narcissism makes them claim to have high IQs but they dont. Whenever narcissism is present dont listen to their claims or fall for how they act. Look at their educational performance instead.

In psychology research into IQ levels their is a strong relationship between niceness, beauty, and intelligence. The nicer and more attractive someone is the higher their IQ levels tend to be. The intelligence leads to better than average interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence developing. The beauty is thought to be down to better genetics, making such people more likely to breed.

A lot of confusion arises from people throwing around the terms psychopath and narcissist without understanding much about the disorders. 

• Like 2

Highly intelligent people tend to have disorders such as bipolar and depression. Some are on the autism scales.

Thinking highly of yourself doesn't mean your smart. Most idiots think they're the smartest person in the room. They also tend to be the most entitled. When they are more than likely dumb as a brick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ell said:

IQ tests are problematic in themselves. It is well known that the more you do the better you score. So if you are used to doing them since childhood you have a considerable advantage. Also, there are cultural problems- one test for a developing country (I forget which one) used pictures to avoid bias due to language: one picture showed a silhouette of a man carrying an open umbrella, it was opened away from the driving rain, so not shielding him.The question was: what is wrong with this picture? Another showed silhouettes of people playing a trumpet, a guitar, a banjo and cello. The question was: which is the odd one out? The respondents got both wrong: with the umbrella they thought the  "wrongness" was it showed a man, it should have been a woman carrying the umbrella, because men did not use umbrellas in their culture as it was deemed effeminate; with the musical instruments, they recognised the trumpet, guitar and banjo, but had never seen a cello before so they chose that, even though the trumpet was the only non-stringed instrument (perfectly logical, who would play an oversized violin by holding it between your legs?)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Highly intelligent people tend to have disorders such as bipolar and depression. Some are on the autism scales.

Thinking highly of yourself doesn't mean your smart. Most idiots think they're the smartest person in the room. They also tend to be the most entitled. When they are more than likely dumb as a brick.

The Dunning-Kruger effect in a nutshell.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1