Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Lady Susan Hussey involved in Royal race row

pellinore

The media is still full of the Royal race row, as Ngozi Fulani claimed she was subject to racial abuse. PM Sunak was prompted to speak out in her defence, and Lady Hussey has been sacked from the Palace.

Shocking really- Ngozi Fulani (real name Susan Headley) went to be presented to the Palace staff in appropriated African costume. When she was innocently asked which part of Africa was her heritage, she first said "Hackney, London", then became more difficult and defensive. She has since claimed this was a clear example of racism, as she was "made to feel she had no right to be in Britain". She is also suggesting on Sky news tonight that the Royal Family "needs to consider its position." 

Miss Fulani says she was left feeling ‘violated’ after Prince William’s godmother, who served as the late Queen’s right-hand woman for 62 years, ‘interrogated’ her about where she was from at a Palace reception on Tuesday, despite her making clear she was British.

Claims: Ngozi Fulani told Good Morning Britain she had not heard from the Palace since Prince William’s godmother, Lady Susan Hussey, 'interrogated' her about where she was from

She also accused Lady Susan of moving her hair in order to look at her name badge and asked her: ‘What part of Africa are you from?’ when she replied that she came from Hackney.

On Wednesday, after Miss Fulani published details of their conversation on social media, which was backed up by witnesses, Buckingham Palace announced that she was resigning her honorary post as a ‘Lady of the Household’ and expressed her profound apologies for the offence caused.

Late Queen's lady-in-waiting Lady Susan Hussey offers to meet black campaigner in racism row | Daily Mail Online

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to Lady Susan Hussey involved in Royal race row

"Help I've been mis-countried.....now who is going to resign"    what a joke. 

"We live in a time of rampant racial identitarianism. In the name of ‘anti-racism’, we are actively encouraged to talk about race 24 / 7 and to view people as products of their racial backgrounds. All too often, it is the same people who obsess over their own racial identities who will suddenly insist they are ‘just British’ the moment a white person asks about their ancestry. Indeed, Fulani today told the BBC that she is ‘very proud of my African heritage’, even if she was unwilling to discuss it with Hussey.

What the Susan Hussey row reveals is that too many ‘anti-racists’ are far more interested in whipping up confected outrage than in genuinely improving race relations in this country."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/12/01/its-not-racist-to-ask-where-someone-is-from/

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"We live in a time of rampant racial identitarianism. In the name of ‘anti-racism’, we are actively encouraged to talk about race 24 / 7 and to view people as products of their racial backgrounds. All too often, it is the same people who obsess over their own racial identities who will suddenly insist they are ‘just British’ the moment a white person asks about their ancestry. Indeed, Fulani today told the BBC that she is ‘very proud of my African heritage’, even if she was unwilling to discuss it with Hussey.

What the Susan Hussey row reveals is that too many ‘anti-racists’ are far more interested in whipping up confected outrage than in genuinely improving race relations in this country."

https://www.spiked-online.com/2022/12/01/its-not-racist-to-ask-where-someone-is-from/

She went to the Palace looking for trouble. Dressed up in tribal garb she appropriated, using a name she appropriated, and then pretended she misunderstood questions about her heritage. If, for example, a Native American went somewhere formal dressed in traditional clothes, first of all they would expect to be asked about their heritage, and when they were, they would not say "I'm from the Bronx, you racist". Unless they wanted to make some political point.

I'm not racist, but I would have fallen into the same trap. If you meet someone in traditional costume, after some idle chit-chat about the weather, it would just be polite conversation to ask them about their heritage. Lady Hussey kept asking questions because she probably thought Miss Fulani was just a bit thick. 

And this is so true: All too often, it is the same people who obsess over their own racial identities who will suddenly insist they are ‘just British’ the moment a white person asks about their ancestry. Indeed, Fulani today told the BBC that she is ‘very proud of my African heritage’, even if she was unwilling to discuss it with Hussey.

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 6

I wonder is Miss Fulani would have gone to the media if the person asking her the question were themselves of recent African heritage?  Or is she just a racist?  ;)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Essan said:

I wonder is Miss Fulani would have gone to the media if the person asking her the question were themselves of recent African heritage?  Or is she just a racist?  ;)

And indeed, what was / is her motivation for going to the press.

For what it's worth, I don't think the rest of the royal family have come out of this looking particularly good. Too quick to appease the mob over nothing at all.

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

If race and racism isn't an issue in the UK, why are we talking about this? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my opinion the real racist here is Fulani. Hussey just asked a question that anyone would ask in that situation, including me.

If you come dressed in a foreign folklor clothing you have to expect, AND PROVOKE, questions about your heritage. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Why indeed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

We have always enjoyed a bit of robust banter with our colonial friends:

Edited by Saru
Removed unsuitable video

If it been a man in a kilt, nobody would have worried if Lady Susan had asked what part of Scotland he came from. Are the rules different in this case?

Telling that the BBC push something like this to the front of the news but more reluctant to mention the astonishing number of black kids getting stabbed to death by other black kids.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/newslondon/teenager-stabbed-to-death-on-bus-home-from-school-in-dagenham-revenge-for-drill-track/ar-AA14MHOd?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=ba0e2f7ac0284ce0835af8ba8387aa94

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I`m against society running around hyper sensitives.

And it also undermines those encountering real racism.

• Like 4

Just been listening to the radio and a discussion on this very topic and a couple of good points were raised. 

This woman runs a refuge solely for Afro-Caribbean women, so at some point she may have to ask the very same question about heritage herself. 

Also isn't running a refuge just for Afro-Caribbean women a bit discriminatory, i.e. would a refuge run just for white women be allowed to operate? 

12 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Also isn't running a refuge just for Afro-Caribbean women a bit discriminatory, i.e. would a refuge run just for white women be allowed to operate? 

Although I agree with the other points you have made, there may be a case for ethnic-minority refuge centres, (I know you don't trust the Guardian as being honest): UK’s women’s refuges turn away victims who speak no English | Domestic violence | The Guardian

21 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

I`m against society running around hyper sensitives.

And it also undermines those encountering real racism.

I agree with CM, Fulani is undermining genuine racism complaints, which I believe does exist. Some of it is sort of understandable-there are well-documented cases of people applying for jobs, getting refused an interview if they use an ethnic name, but the same application being considered if they substitute an English name. But why not- why shouldn't an employer be able to choose staff he thinks he will 'get along' with? Which is one of the gripes I have about the new points-based immigration system- since 2020, legal immigration has slightly increased, but instead of East Europeans who come over for 6 months to make some quick money, we are now getting people from Africa, the Middle East and the Far East, who generally want to settle (and slightly over 1million have been granted settlement status since 2020).But Mr O’Brien said the UK was now seeing more immigration from “poorer” countries, rather than European areas or Canada, the US, New Zealand and Australia. The same very high immigration, but more from poorer countries wasn’t what people wanted from Brexit,” he said. Immigration has increased since Brexit, admits Tory MP | Evening Standard

I also don't fully understand why racial profiling is considered "bad"- if airport security has received a tip-off about a bomb plot, for example, surely it is sensible to concentrate on Middle Eastern men with backpacks and suspicious attitudes rather than a retired couple from Cornwall. 

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1

Why is no one taking a stand against the hyper sensitives?

Why resign, stand your ground Lady Susan and call it out for what it is.

• Like 2