Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

HMS Quentin: Father's diary reveals horror of WW2 ship's sinking

Still Waters

Posted (IP: Staff) ·

A horrifying account of the sinking of a British battleship on 2 December 1942 has been rediscovered after having lain unread in a diary for almost 80 years.

Written by 21-year-old Navy medic Alfred Kirkham, the diary tells how HMS Quentin went down during a World War Two sea battle in the Mediterranean.

Before his death in 2003, he passed his diary to son, Frank, who finally read it and typed it up during lockdown.

Mr Kirkham, from Sheffield, said it was "emotional" reading his dad's journal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-63824339

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It is always encouraging to see people take the time to transmit history.  The names and places are ever-changing but the humanity stays true.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, and-then said:

It is always encouraging to see people take the time to transmit history.  The names and places are ever-changing but the humanity stays true.

So true!

But why are people in the UK so obsessed with World War II? Is it because there are still people alive who remember it? Are they as fixated on the Great War/WWI? They never speak as much of the Falklands War, the Irish War of Independance, the Boer War, or any other of the dozens of military conflicts that involved the UK in the twentieth century like the Gulf War, Afghanistan, Aden, etc.

It seems to me there is an unhealthy preoccupation with war in general and with WWII in particular. It borders on glorification. I remember as a lad growing up in Dublin reading British comics and other boys' books. They heavily emphasised war and military heroics. When you grow up, you leave that stuff behind. Even Al Murray, a contemporary comedian, bases his routine on how great the Brits are at winning wars and beating every other nation on earth. I know its comedy, but for comedy to work your audience has to believe and buy into it otherwise it is not funny. 

Of course, all countries need to defend themselves - look at Ukraine - but after WWII, Europe sought more peaceful ways of resolving conflict and the EU has gone a long way in promoting that situation. Not only has Europe turned away from military conflict between its constituent nations, but I am happy to see it going even further to unite in its own defence against outside aggression.

Just sayin'!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

So true!

But why are people in the UK so obsessed with World War II? Is it because there are still people alive who remember it? Are they as fixated on the Great War/WWI? They never speak as much of the Falklands War, the Irish War of Independance, the Boer War, or any other of the dozens of military conflicts that involved the UK in the twentieth century like the Gulf War, Afghanistan, Aden, etc.

It seems to me there is an unhealthy preoccupation with war in general and with WWII in particular. It borders on glorification. I remember as a lad growing up in Dublin reading British comics and other boys' books. They heavily emphasised war and military heroics. When you grow up, you leave that stuff behind. Even Al Murray, a contemporary comedian, bases his routine on how great the Brits are at winning wars and beating every other nation on earth. I know its comedy, but for comedy to work your audience has to believe and buy into it otherwise it is not funny. 

Of course, all countries need to defend themselves - look at Ukraine - but after WWII, Europe sought more peaceful ways of resolving conflict and the EU has gone a long way in promoting that situation. Not only has Europe turned away from military conflict between its constituent nations, but I am happy to see it going even further to unite in its own defence against outside aggression.

Just sayin'!!

I'm guessing a lot of it has to do with the Blitzkrieg.