Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

MP Richard Drax being hounded to pay millions for sins of his slave-owning ancestors

pellinore

Many Barbadians regard Sir James Drax as the devil incarnate. For, around 370 years ago, he pioneered the importation of African slaves to cultivate his lucrative crop.

Though Drax Hall is advertised as a holiday attraction, one of his descendants is the target of an increasingly vindictive campaign, orchestrated by civil rights activists backed by the ruling Barbados Labour Party’s special envoy on reparations and economic enfranchisement.

They are demanding that South Dorset MP Richard Drax, who now owns the estate, must pay a vast sum to compensate for the historic sins of his forebears.

According to David Denny, a self-proclaimed Barbadian ‘revolutionary’, the Tory politician should donate ‘hundreds of millions’ towards the building of schools, roads, health centres and other community projects.

MP Richard Drax being hounded to pay millions to Barbados for sins of his slave-owning ancestors  | Daily Mail Online

Edited by pellinore
  • Sad 4

Your not guilty of the actions of your ancestors.

My slave ancestor, Cuffee Padgett Cuff was owned by my deceased friend Paul Padgett's ancestor. He was not responsible nor liable.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Piney said:

Your not guilty of the actions of your ancestors.

My slave ancestor, Cuffee Padgett Cuff was owned by my deceased friend Paul Padgett's ancestor. He was not responsible nor liable.

I agree, but should we now compensate them for being in the disadvantaged position black people are in?

In 1861, the value placed on cotton produced by enslaved Blacks was $250 million. Slavery enriched white slave owners and their descendants, and it fueled the country’s economy while suppressing wealth building for the enslaved. The United States has yet to compensate descendants of enslaved Black Americans for their labor. Nor has the federal government atoned for the lost equity from anti-Black housing, transportation, and business policy. Slavery, Jim Crow segregation, anti-Black practices like redlining, and other discriminatory public policies in criminal justice and education have robbed Black Americans of the opportunities to build wealth (defined as assets minus debt) afforded to their white peers.

Why we need reparations for Black Americans (brookings.edu)

Edited by pellinore

Just now, pellinore said:

I agree, but should we compensate them for being in the disadvantaged position they are now in?

Why we need reparations for Black Americans (brookings.edu)

Hood rats want to live that way. I have friends from Camden who went to West Point, Harvard and Penn. Then succeeded.

I also ran a friend and mentor's flower and plant shop in the hood. No Blacks ever applied for a job. Only Latinos from various places.

They want to stay disadvantaged and mooch.

"We have to close the ghettos and take the profit out of poverty" 

Martin Luther King quote you will never hear from Cory Booker's mouth.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, pellinore said:

I agree, but should we now compensate them for being in the disadvantaged position black people are in?

But isn't that the better way to do that for the government to prioritise investment into both primary and secondary education as well as job training programs?

Also raising minimum wage to a level where people can actually live on it would help too.

Edited by Orphalesion
  • Like 1