Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Knock at Night

Stormy_at_Night

I have a 2nd floor garage apartment that is rented to a young lady.  a couple of months go she told me she heard three knocks on the door in the night.  I dismissed it as imagination, water pipe expansion, etc.  She only mentioned it a couple of times.

On the night before Thanksgiving (I was out of town) she told me her grandmother was staying with her and heard the knocks.  She then told me that she heard them all the time.  At 0200 she would here three slow knocks on the door (some nights she would sleep through the time, so not sure if it occurs every night.

A couple nights ago, since I could not sleep, I went to the garage downstairs (a common area) and waited from 0155-0210. It was dark in the room. She did not know I was down there.  I heard nothing, except for her getting up shortly after 0200.  The next day she said that she heard them at 0200.  I did the same thing the next night, I heard nothing (the light was on at the top of the stairs, so I could see the door). She said that she slept through the night.

She has a dog that does not appear to react to anything unusual.  I have spent a few nights in the apartment as a dog sitter and heard nothing.

I am skeptical of supernatural cause (could be an elaborate practical joke by tenant(?) - we are coworkers).  Does anybody have any suggestions on how to continue to investigate?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I've seen this reported at other times.  My father-in-law had the same thing occur for several years and we never found the answer.  He was a WWII vet with serious hearing loss so when he began telling me about being awakened in the night by three LOUD knocks on the door, it was baffling.  We even installed a trail camera outside his apartment to see if there was someone pranking him.  We never found the answer.  That leads me to believe that the phenomenon is likely a physical manifestation from the brain of the individual.  A "phantom" noise.

• Thanks 1

That is correct, and-then.

Our mother was deaf for low tones. She told us that every night when she went to bed she heard a man singing. There was no man: her brain made it up.

• Like 1

What could be the source of her hearing sounds? Imagination? A psychic connection? There's no way I know to tell the difference. It might use my judgment on her overall mental state as a starting point.

Hypnopompic/Hypnagogic hallucinations (one happens upon falling asleep and the other upon waking). It’s weird state between being fully awake and asleep where you can hear, see, feel and even smell things that aren’t really there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/3/2022 at 11:05 AM, and-then said:

That leads me to believe that the phenomenon is likely a physical manifestation from the brain of the individual.  A "phantom" noise.

^ very likely because i have it happen to me, in my case i will hear a loud sound knock , bang door knock even my name called but it doesnt effect my pets or wife and no its not paranormal its mental, and yes, its when im waking up or crashing out.

On 12/3/2022 at 8:23 PM, Stormy_at_Night said:

What is baffling is that her grandmother also heard the knocks

No, thats not at all baffling, she told you granny heard it granny didnt tell you herself and guess what even if granny said she heard it it doesnt make it true ive seen countless people go along with bs, hoaxes , or just to keep a person happy like an enabler.

You stalked around and never heard it so either the girl has issues like i do or shes messing with you, had someone been messing with her you would have heard it. Its not a very elaborate joke to tell your landlord you heard a knock. Whats the punchline?

• 1 month later...

I would not continue to investigate. The 'knock at night' when no one was every by the door is a form of auditory illusion that the alien invaders are able to perform. They are testing you. Do not investigate. If you do so, the invaders may show an interest in you and then you might start hearing voices. Once you start hearing voices, it is almost impossible to stop. I would not recommend it.