Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California panel estimates $569 billion in reparations is owed to black residents

el midgetron

Just like the people who are like, "I spilled hot coffee on myself. Give me ten million dollars".

:lol:

• Like 1

On reparations -

The Church of England announced that it has committed £100 million in a reparations-style package to make up for its role in the historical slave trade – a practice which it helped abolish in the Western world.

The Anglican church, which was one of the first established churches to campaign for the abolition of slavery, announced a series of measures on Tuesday that it intends to embark upon to compensate for its historic links to the Transatlantic slave trade.

The move, which came in response to a report commissioned by the Church that detailed “shameful” ties to slavery, will see some £100 million from its coffers handed out on race-based initiatives such as an “impact investment fund” which will seek to create a “better and fairer future for all” but in particular families descended from victims of the slave trade.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/01/11/church-of-england-announces-100-million-reparations-style-fund-to-apologise-for-slavery-ties/

12 hours ago, el midgetron said:

On reparations -

The Church of England announced that it has committed £100 million in a reparations-style package to make up for its role in the historical slave trade – a practice which it helped abolish in the Western world.

The Anglican church, which was one of the first established churches to campaign for the abolition of slavery, announced a series of measures on Tuesday that it intends to embark upon to compensate for its historic links to the Transatlantic slave trade.

The move, which came in response to a report commissioned by the Church that detailed “shameful” ties to slavery, will see some £100 million from its coffers handed out on race-based initiatives such as an “impact investment fund” which will seek to create a “better and fairer future for all” but in particular families descended from victims of the slave trade.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2023/01/11/church-of-england-announces-100-million-reparations-style-fund-to-apologise-for-slavery-ties/

Given number of people affected worldwide, what does that come to? Like a quarter of a pound each? 

Still, hopefully some good comes of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, el midgetron said:

I say, let He who has the most guilt pay the most gold. I myself feel little or no guilt, and don't feel sorry for most welfare cases. 

Those l feel sorry for, are those who've been injured, and those who served in the military and got screwed in the end.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2023 at 6:15 PM, DieChecker said:

Just like the people who are like, "I spilled hot coffee on myself. Give me ten million dollars".

:lol:

You know she got like second and third degree burns from that coffee right?

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You know she got like second and third degree burns from that coffee right?

Yeah. And afterward there were dozens of copycats who didn't get burned, but wanted money.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

My god… who could have seen this coming?!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

California's reparations task force voted Saturday to approve recommendations on how the state may compensate and apologize to Black residents for generations of harm caused by discriminatory policies.

The nine-member committee, which first convened nearly two years ago, gave final approval at a meeting in Oakland to a hefty list of proposals that now go to state lawmakers to consider for reparations legislation.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/californias-black-reparations-panel-approves-payments-apology/

How much money will people receive?

Economists calculated preliminary estimates of monetary losses in three categories of community harms: health disparities, African American mass incarceration and over-policing, and housing discrimination.

The amounts each individual receives would be determined by the number of years they have resided in California for a minimum of six months. The money would be given to every eligible recipient and no one would need to provide proof that they suffered individual harms in each category.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-05-06/californias-reparations-task-force-recommendations-heres-what-you-need-to-know?.

Meanwhile, activists present at the gathering dismissed the current plan as insufficient.

Reverend Tony Pierce, an activist that addressed the audience spoke of the renowned pledge of "40 acres and a mule" made to ex-slaves.

"You know that the numbers should be equivocal to what an acre was back then. We were given 40 acres," said Pierce. "So, the equivocal number from the 1860s for 40 acres to today is $200 million for each and every African-American."

"$1.2 million is nowhere near enough. It should be starting at least $5 million like San Francisco," said a female activist at the gathering

"This million dollars we're hearing on the news is just inadequate and a further injustice if that's what this task force is going to recommend for Black Americans for 400-plus years and continuing of slavery and injustice that we have been forced to endure," she said. "To even throw a million dollars at us is just an injustice."

https://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2023/05/07/702929/Activists-urge-California-reparations-task-force-to-increase-payments-

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"You know that the numbers should be equivocal to what an acre was back then. We were given 40 acres," said Pierce. "So, the equivocal number from the 1860s for 40 acres to today is $200 million for each and every African-American."

40 acres back then is equivalent to 40 aches today. You can still buy 40 acres today for a tad less than 200M. Much less for the mathematically impaired. 

20 hours ago, Eldorado said:

"$1.2 million is nowhere near enough.

It turns out that you can get *up to* $1.2 Mill. That would be for a life-long male resident, age 71. A lot of people will be quite shy of that amount.

What's this package going to cost... $800 Billion? good luck, California, you will need it

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
reword
  • Like 1

This whole discussion is exactly what actual systemic racism looks like. Gobble it up. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, el midgetron said:

40 acres back then is equivalent to 40 aches today. You can still buy 40 acres today for a tad less than 200M. Much less for the mathematically impaired. 

Yeah. But the price of mules has gone through the roof.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, el midgetron said:

Hi El

Depends on where you live and likely most are urban dwellers. Here you couldn’t buy an empty 30’x125’ lot for that price and in some parts of town developers by lots with houses starting at a million to demo the house an build a infill.

I'd like to know how much they're going to pay each indigenous person for the land that was taken from them.

And how much they're going to pay each Spanish person for the land grants that were stolen by deceit.

And how much they're going to pay each Mexican for the land grants that were illegally taken from them and the discrimination they have suffered over the years.

Where does this end?

How much is each recipient going to have to pay in income taxes?

Doug

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

And these, all so we can feel virtuous driving our electric cars :-

child-slaves-cobalt-mines-550x308.jpg.c3b8963d138971cb133c923ccd066eec.jpg

456653-daily-mail-exposes-cobalt-mining-human-tragedy-behind-lithium-battery.3-lg.webp.ccc34c382de5936bbcfb7c98ed073460.webp

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

I'd like to know how much they're going to pay each indigenous person for the land that was taken from them.

And how much they're going to pay each Spanish person for the land grants that were stolen by deceit.

And how much they're going to pay each Mexican for the land grants that were illegally taken from them and the discrimination they have suffered over the years.

Where does this end?

Doug

Doug, I wouldn't worry about it until your legislators are contemplating reparations in your state.
The folks in CA are going to be hurting at some point

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Doug, I wouldn't worry about it until your legislators are contemplating reparations in your state.
The folks in CA are going to be hurting at some point

I don't expect to see that ever in Oklahoma.  A large part of the state is former Indian reservation and Osage County still is.  According to treaty, the Cherokees own about 2/3 of the state, excluding only easements for roads, etc.  Reparations would bankrupt Oklahoma.  Indeed, fiscal mismanagement may accomplish that without reparations.

Doug

• Like 3

On 5/9/2023 at 11:01 AM, Doug1066 said:

Where does this end?

Doug

I’d like to know how much white people are going to be paid by the countries that enslaved them. 

If you support reparations, explain why only the US is responsible for them.

Edited by el midgetron
  • Like 1

Where the hell is the money supposed to come from?  Bankrupt the state for people who were never slaves?  Slavery ended 150 years ago.  How many European descent citizens had family in the US at that time?  Why should they have to pay for something neither them nor their ancestors had anything to do with?  They like to spout POC, yet, the Asians are not white and their taxes would be paying for this? Just ridiculous