Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists simulate a wormhole and send a message through it

UM-Bot

Read, read, read...

Well, it's only mildly interesting. It was a simulation. I didn't see a link to the study, but even if I read it, I am supposing they didn't put in the full deals of how they "created" two tiny stable, unmoving, black holes. And then magically linked them together. Then sent a message through the linking "tunnel". We may just as well accept that The Enterprise is going to pop out of warp and bring us to a far off planet.

I thought I had read that Quantum Computers were not stable enough yet to do anything like simulations. 

• Like 2

Interesting that we understand more and more how our universe is working so we can create more and more accurate simulations. Wonder if we can simulate a whole universe eventually. Maybe our laws of physics make it impossible, maybe we wouldn't be able to have enough storage space etc even if we utilize everything that is available. Maybe we are living in a simulation too but maybe the host universe has other laws of physics that make it possible to do such a simulation. Fascinating.

• Like 1

Brings to mind certain people here that question whether we would simulate universes if we could.  Yes, obviously we would/will.

Edited by OverSword

On 12/4/2022 at 3:51 AM, UM-Bot said:

Using quantum computers, the researchers simulated a working 'baby' wormhole without rupturing space and time.

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/362390/scientists-simulate-a-wormhole-and-send-a-message-through-it

Oh. I thought they'd done this about a decade ago.  Is this supposed to be new?

I suspect we'll never be able to simulate a universe. Because you'd need to simulate, and keep track of changes in, the trillions of galaxies, each with hundreds of billions of stars. And the planets around each star, and the individual elemental particles of each planet....

Smaller planets are roughly 10^10 atoms.

So, given all that to simulate a universe using regular computing, it would need to track 10^34 to 10^35 individual particles (not including the stars themselves) (and not including photons).

Conservative estimates online are 10^80 particles if you include all the stars, planets and non photon radiation. 

As far as I found online... the largest simulations are on the scale of billions (10^9 to 10^10). Going bigger then that requires assuming areas are representative of other areas, and thus moving into statistics, rather then direct simulation.

The sheer scale of what is to be represented, with every particle having a X, Y, Z, history, and velocity... Is beyond daunting.

news-hq-wormhole.jpg

Edited by MyOtherAccount

I wonder what would happen if they sent half a qubit through it. Would the other half remain entangled and/or would there be any kind of observable reaction? would the other half get displaced or pulled through as well? Perhaps a half-qubit can't even be portal-ed through at all.

Okay, bear with me here. I have accomplished the same, but in real life. I kid you not. Using my less than Devine knowledge, I temporarily opened a worm hole without destroying anything. Wirelessly, the keyboard I'm using typed these letters on my screen. I am about to hit "Submit Reply." The message will be shot from my computer to this post. 

BOOM!

On 12/7/2022 at 4:08 AM, DieChecker said:

I suspect we'll never be able to simulate a universe.

That must be thé understatement of this year.

• Like 1