Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery surrounds spate of unexplained cattle deaths in Colorado

UM-Bot

Maybe it's similar to the case with the dead elephants in Kenya/Ethiopia(?).  It happened about a year and half ago. At first it was unclear what caused animals to die, but it was later determined that the cause was a poisoned water elephants drank from some water source.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ell said:

Maybe they got vaccinated against covid19?

Cowid - 19 :lol:

Edited by jethrofloyd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Prussic acid poisoning can be a lethal problem for cattle grazing sorghums....

In Colorado, plants most likely to cause HCN poisoning are sorghums. The potential is greatest for johnsongrass and least for true sudans.

https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/agriculture/prussic-acid-poisoning-1-612/
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An examination of stomachs contents would determine if sorghums, johnsongrass or poisoned water caused the deaths

• Like 3

Well, that article was poorly written. Here's the New York Post  New York Post link
-------------------------------

Dozens of cattle slaughtered by mystery creature that left no tracks

Dozens of cattle in Colorado have been slaughtered over the past two months by an elusive predator that has left no tracks.
In October, 18 dead cows were found just outside the town of Meeker. Some looked as though they were killed by wolves, but officials with Colorado Parks and Wildlife found no wolf tracks or evidence of the predator in the area.
In the two months that local wildlife experts have searched for a culprit, at least 40 calves have died.
------------------------------------------------- end quote

During the 1970's with cattle mutilations flaring, Colorado was - by far, the state most frequently hit. 

22 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, that article was poorly written. Here's the New York Post  New York Post link
-------------------------------

Dozens of cattle slaughtered by mystery creature that left no tracks

Dozens of cattle in Colorado have been slaughtered over the past two months by an elusive predator that has left no tracks.
In October, 18 dead cows were found just outside the town of Meeker. Some looked as though they were killed by wolves, but officials with Colorado Parks and Wildlife found no wolf tracks or evidence of the predator in the area.
In the two months that local wildlife experts have searched for a culprit, at least 40 calves have died.
------------------------------------------------- end quote

During the 1970's with cattle mutilations flaring, Colorado was - by far, the state most frequently hit. 

The NY Post article title is extremely misleading and exaggerated.

The article itself, I feel, is written more poorly than that in the OP link.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Timothy said:

The NY Post article title is extremely misleading and exaggerated.

The article itself, I feel, is written more poorly than that in the OP link.

How would you know it is "misleading and exaggerated" when all you have to compare it to is the OP? Mayve the OP was overlooking pertinent facts.
In other words, which is correct? They certainly are strikingly different. 

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

How would you know it is "misleading and exaggerated" when all you have to compare it to is the OP? Mayve the OP was overlooking pertinent facts.
In other words, which is correct? They certainly are strikingly different. 

I read the link you posted before my reply.

It’s got basically the same info, but with a solid dose of sensationalism.

• Like 1

Who knows. I seem to recall on the Curse of Skin Walker Ranch, which is i believe in Utah, they found on the ranch a dead cow, with no visible marks on it. You'll have to Youtube the video if it's out there.  The cows could have eaten something, a plant that was toxic.  Just like if people eat mushrooms that are poisonous. The article doesn't mention any mutilations, like back in what the 1960s, 70s in Colorado? Might just be something natural as the case of death.

This is very few cattle. There are plenty of plants toxic to cattle such as jimson weed and milkweed. I would think that would be easy to determine by a vet.

In the 60s and 70s the cattle were not mutilated. They showed signs of natural decomposition and consumption by animals such as flies.

It is interesting that the Clostridium bacteria has been ruled out by vets. This tells us that qualified people are taking a close look.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't work out if it's aliens or jabs from a minor virus called covid. 

One  is fictitious and the other is very real..hmm... 

On 12/24/2022 at 1:34 PM, OpenMindedSceptic said:

I can't work out if it's aliens or jabs from a minor virus called covid. 

One  is fictitious and the other is very real..hmm...

Love this false dichotomy. Despite that it makes more sense than most of the anti-vaxx rhetoric

So let's toss in the actual choice - a predator called wolves.

On 12/27/2022 at 3:33 AM, stereologist said:

So let's toss in the actual choice - a predator called wolves.

I understand they found no traces of wolves?

I 'have' to think of more evolved wolves, like the ones described in Whitley Strieber's book "The Wolfen".

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/29/2022 at 3:57 PM, Abramelin said:

I understand they found no traces of wolves?

I 'have' to think of more evolved wolves, like the ones described in Whitley Strieber's book "The Wolfen".

Not finding wolf tracks is like finding no bear tracks in my backyard and I have 4 different bears at least.

I see plenty of dogs crossing my yard and no dog tracks.

Tracks would have been nice to find, but they were not.

• Like 1