Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Now CHARITY workers are going on strike!

pellinore

More than 600 workers at the housing and homelessness charity Shelter are beginning an “unprecedented” fortnight of strike action on Monday in a dispute over pay – coinciding with one of its busiest times of the year.

The Unite union said a 3% pay increase this year had left some of Shelter’s staff unable to pay their rent and very worried about the possibility of becoming homeless themselves.

Shelter said some of its services would be “temporarily impacted” during the strike, but added: “We are making every effort to continue to serve those in need of our help.”

The two weeks of strike action will see its staff join postal and rail employees and workers across a number of other sectors who are taking part in industrial action over pay in what has been called “the December of discontent”.

Homelessness charity Shelter’s staff start ‘unprecedented’ two-week strike | Charities | The Guardian

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I work for a charity.  Been doing so for over 30 years.  It's only part time but I sometimes need to put in several hours work a day, often working well into the evening.   And in all that time my pay has gone up from £0.00 per hour to £0.00 Per hour .... ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Essan said:

I work for a charity.  Been doing so for over 30 years.  It's only part time but I sometimes need to put in several hours work a day, often working well into the evening.   And in all that time my pay has gone up from £0.00 per hour to £0.00 Per hour .... ;) 

I paid for my own medical supplies and plane tickets on numerous adventures with the AFSC. Paid for food and hotels too.

My salary was also 0.00 a hour.

• Like 1

"The Unite union said a 3% pay increase this year had left some of Shelter’s staff unable to pay their rent and very worried about the possibility of becoming homeless themselves."

Nah....that can't be right, we're obviously swimming in money.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60249130

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1

It is understood the £1.2m is to accommodate Afghan refugees and another £3.5m a day is spent on asylum seekers.

I have some sympathy for the Afghans if they are ones who assisted the Brits during the war there and who are now at risk from being killed by the Taliban because of that.

I have little sympathy for the people crossing in boats across the Channel- the arguments in support of them- they speak better English than other European languages, and they might have family here seem a bit hollow to me. And the family connection irritates me- why should we host a whole extended family because someone has gripe with their government? 

When war broke in Ukraine, President Zelensky declared a state of emergency, imposed martial law and stopped men between the age of 18 and 60 leaving Ukraine- that's what you have to do when there is conflict, so why are so many young men seeking asylum anyway?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

so why are so many young men seeking asylum anyway?

The BBC photo expose showing them posing without shirts and showing muscles p***ed me off.

Take back what was yours you bloody cowards.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

It is understood the £1.2m is to accommodate Afghan refugees and another £3.5m a day is spent on asylum seekers.

I have some sympathy for the Afghans if they are ones who assisted the Brits during the war there and who are now at risk from being killed by the Taliban because of that.

I have little sympathy for the people crossing in boats across the Channel- the arguments in support of them- they speak better English than other European languages, and they might have family here seem a bit hollow to me. And the family connection irritates me- why should we host a whole extended family because someone has gripe with their government? 

When war broke in Ukraine, President Zelensky declared a state of emergency, imposed martial law and stopped men between the age of 18 and 60 leaving Ukraine- that's what you have to do when there is conflict, so why are so many young men seeking asylum anyway?

I agree with you 100%. Even during the balkan war Croatian and Bosnian men stayed to defend their countries and in some cases, like mine, we left the country we were working to join the ranks to defend. That said not eveyone was able to fight or be there.

However, in cases like migrants from Afghanistan, Syria, Africa...one must realise that the west has mostly contributed to such a scale of migrant influx to Europe. We screwed up their countries, imposing our puppets as their leaders, forceing them to sell their oil, diamonds, gold....for a fraction of the cost, forcing child labour....of course it had to burst one day. It had to come to bite us.

All this is just the reaction of our decades long actions in their countries. The worst thing is that the ordinary people in Europe are not at fault for the actions of their governments but they are the ones paying the price. The leaders just resign as they please with no consequenses but it is left to the population to deal with it.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, odas said:

I agree with you 100%. Even during the balkan war Croatian and Bosnian men stayed to defend their countries and in some cases, like mine, we left the country we were working to join the ranks to defend. That said not eveyone was able to fight or be there.

However, in cases like migrants from Afghanistan, Syria, Africa...one must realise that the west has mostly contributed to such a scale of migrant influx to Europe. We screwed up their countries, imposing our puppets as their leaders, forceing them to sell their oil, diamonds, gold....for a fraction of the cost, forcing child labour....of course it had to burst one day. It had to come to bite us.

All this is just the reaction of our decades long actions in their countries. The worst thing is that the ordinary people in Europe are not at fault for the actions of their governments but they are the ones paying the price. The leaders just resign as they please with no consequenses but it is left to the population to deal with it.

Er...what 'decades long actions' have we been doing in Albania?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63473022

Edited by itsnotoutthere

54 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Er...what 'decades long actions' have we been doing in Albania?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/explainers-63473022

To be honest I did not know that so many Albanians are trying to get into Britain. I know that Bosnians are moving to mostly Germany, Austria and Switzerland as legal guestworkers but that with Albanians shocks me a bit. They do have a nice coast that could bring in a lot of money but seems like the government is not letting it happen. Thousands of good paying jobs could be created.

• Thanks 1