Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Metal signature of Roman 19th Legion identified at Teutoburg battle site

Eldorado

Using a new chemical analysis method, researchers in Germany have identified the metallurgic signature of the Roman 19th Legion in artifacts recovered from the site of the Battle of Teutoburg Forest in Kalkriese, Germany.

Mass spectrometer analysis of non-ferrous metals like bronze and brass can pinpoint the characteristic composition of trace elements in an artifact. Because every Roman legion had its own blacksmiths who worked constantly on campaign to repair and replace weapons and equipment, even legions that were fighting together have a distinctive chemical signature in their metals.

That this method can be used to conclusively link an object to a specific legion is a major archaeological breakthrough when dating and identifying complex battlefield remains like the ones at Kalkriese.

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/archives/65834

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I only recently became aware of the story of the ambush in the Teutoburg forest.  I read the low brow sci fi of BV Larson and one of his series is called UNDYING MERCENARIES.  Anyway, the concept includes mercenary military units arranged on the idea of the old Roman Legions.  One of them is named Legion Varus.

Apparently, Publius Quinctilius Varus was not only the quintessential political hire, he was also an idiot.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, and-then said:

Apparently, Publius Quinctilius Varus was not only the quintessential political hire, he was also an idiot.

As was most of them.

• Like 3

Very interesting. Wonder if anyone on my dad's side took part in the battle, quite possible , since they were german, not sure of exact tribe though. Family is mainly found in Bavaria and  The Schwarzwald, so they could have been Bavarii or Suebis or some other group. Would be cool to find out.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HollyDolly said:

Very interesting. Wonder if anyone on my dad's side took part in the battle, quite possible , since they were german, not sure of exact tribe though. Family is mainly found in Bavaria and  The Schwarzwald, so they could have been Bavarii or Suebis or some other group. Would be cool to find out.

There could have been Celts who lived there earlier or Magyar and Slavs who entered later in your mix too.

A lot of Quaker sponsored Germans in Pennsylvania and New Jersey came from the Schwarzwald area.