Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kirstie Alley death and my near Mandela experience


the13bats
 Share

Recommended Posts

First off my heart felt well wishes go out to KAs family and loved ones.

I will admit the later part of my subject line could be construed in a different way as i dont believe Mandela effect is anything more than a colorful name given to false memory to make profit off of it. That said i just had a pretty cool very wrong memory.

The last year has been hard ive been feeling poorly and down more than good and sick a lot with covid , cold, flu type issues that drives up my nervious problems so this little memory flaw is fun and for an OCD detail addict i like being wrong.

here goes, tina told me earlier the KA died i said oh thats sad remember her in star trek movie she was bald a Vulcan or some alien, i think, truth is i saw that first star trek movie once when it came out in 79 it didnt do much for me.

As usual Tina wasnt paying atrention to me and didnt reply but i jumped to find a pic of KA bald, there is none and while there is a bald lady in the first star trek its not KA who is in the next star trek movie but with hair, yet in my minds eye i see her on the bridge bald and i found it odd since she had great hair like blair from "facts of life" ( great late 70s early 80s hair )

I wanted to share this one to show papaG im not above admitting i can be wrong i have a flawed memory, woohoo! Also it would be a hoot if anyone else recalls it as i do.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Funny.  When I heard she'd passed, that Star Trek movie was my first thought too.  But I just remembered how hot she was in that.  Lt.  Saavik, IIRC.  She was a cool lady and I wish her family well.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, and-then said:

Funny.  When I heard she'd passed, that Star Trek movie was my first thought too.  But I just remembered how hot she was in that.  Lt.  Saavik, IIRC.  She was a cool lady and I wish her family well.

 

I have zero clue why i picture her bald and the actress who is bald in the first ST flick isnt what i remember at all, 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

 

I wanted to share this one to show papaG im not above admitting i can be wrong

 

 

By the way papaG also realizes he can be wrong.

Well speaking of the Mandela Effect there was a twitter controversy that a word in Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road has changed. Bruce himself seems to be on board that something is wrong here that he can't understand. Skip to 3;00

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

By the way papaG also realizes he can be wrong.

Well speaking of the Mandela Effect there was a twitter controversy that a word in Bruce Springsteen's Thunder Road has changed. Bruce himself seems to be on board that something is wrong here that he can't understand. Skip to 3;00

 

Please research past twitter.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Please research past twitter.

I did, Five or six places all say 'sways' on the internet lyrics. Just search on 'Springsteen's Thunder Road lyrics. Springsteen himself can't explain it.

But yes it's not proof of anything.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I did, Five or six places all say 'sways' on the internet lyrics. Just search on 'Springsteen's Thunder Road lyrics. Springsteen himself can't explain it.

But yes it's not proof of anything.

The lyrics on the net simply reflect what the man is singing and how it sounds in the song. "Sways".

A 73? Yo goes to an orginal copy of lyrics 50 yo and its  "The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves." Yet he says he has sang it

 "The screen door slams, Mary's dress sways" all this time, i believe him.

To me this isnt at all an example of Mandela its partly faulty memory but more something else. Take the two versions and sing them out loud, listen to flow the 3 words flow oddly "mary's dress xxxxx" i believe he sang it in the way that flowed best for his brain and ear.

Singing it and many other songs for 50 years of course its not odd a word in a song changed. Many times too a singer will embellish on the other hand perhaps he just slurred it up.

Look at the countless misunderstood lyrics of countless songs.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

I have zero clue why i picture her bald

Maybe it was Kojak in that Star Trek movie, but you just imagined him as a bald KA.  :D

P.S RIP Kirstie Alley :(

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, the13bats said:

The lyrics on the net simply reflect what the man is singing and how it sounds in the song. "Sways".

A 73? Yo goes to an orginal copy of lyrics 50 yo and its  "The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves." Yet he says he has sang it

 "The screen door slams, Mary's dress sways" all this time, i believe him.

To me this isnt at all an example of Mandela its partly faulty memory but more something else. Take the two versions and sing them out loud, listen to flow the 3 words flow oddly "mary's dress xxxxx" i believe he sang it in the way that flowed best for his brain and ear.

Singing it and many other songs for 50 years of course its not odd a word in a song changed. Many times too a singer will embellish on the other hand perhaps he just slurred it up.

Look at the countless misunderstood lyrics of countless songs.

 

 

Adding, i just listened to what i believe is the original recording he sings "waves" then i listened to a later live version and its "sways" so zero Mandela here just a singer who changed a word in a song which is rather common. I dont care enough to hunt and listen but i would bet early live versions have "waves" .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

Maybe it was Kojak in that Star Trek movie, but you just imagined him as a bald KA.  :D

P.S RIP Kirstie Alley :(

Nah, there was a bald female character (Ilia) in the first Star Trek movie played by an actress named Persia Khambatta, killed off in that same movie. The concept for the character (minus the baldness) was later re-purposed for Deanna Troi in TNG (geddit? Ilia/Troi hurhurhur) 

Kirstie Alley appeared in the second (and much less painful to watch) Star Trek movie as a Vulcan named Savvik who,  as @the13bats writes, had luxurious 80s hair. The character was meant to appear in future films, but Kirstie Alley didn't want to reprise the character and so she only appeared one more time, played by a different actress and sporting an 80s perm.

Yeah... I'm a Trekkie 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Nah, there was a bald female character (Ilia) in the first Star Trek movie played by an actress named Persia Khambatta, killed off in that same movie. The concept for the character (minus the baldness) was later re-purposed for Deanna Troi in TNG (geddit? Ilia/Troi hurhurhur) 

Kirstie Alley appeared in the second (and much less painful to watch) Star Trek movie as a Vulcan named Savvik who,  as @the13bats writes, had luxurious 80s hair. The character was meant to appear in future films, but Kirstie Alley didn't want to reprise the character and so she only appeared one more time, played by a different actress and sporting an 80s perm.

Yeah... I'm a Trekkie 

Ty,

I liked the second flick saw it several times but oddly and unlike me and my ocd i just dont recall much about it.

The 79 first movie with Persia Khambatta i only know i saw because it came out about the same time as a few other flicks and i felt it was a must see to look cool but i dont recall it at all and again oddly when i look at pics of Persia Khambatta in it thats not the bald lady in my minds eye memory.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

Ty,

I liked the second flick saw it several times but oddly and unlike me and my ocd i just dont recall much about it.

The 79 first movie with Persia Khambatta i only know i saw because it came out about the same time as a few other flicks and i felt it was a must see to look cool but i dont recall it at all and again oddly when i look at pics of Persia Khambatta in it thats not the bald lady in my minds eye memory.

 

The first Star Trek movie is notorious for nothing much happening in it and what little does happen seems like it tries to rip off 2001: A Space Odyssey. As to Khambatta not matching your memory, well there we are at the source of the Mandela Effect; Memory is often not precise, gets confused and merged with other things etc. Especially with things that aren't especially important to us.
As I sometimes write in these Mandela Effect threads; I can remember reading about Shelley Duval when I had seen the Shining for the first time, and I remember reading that she had died in the 1980s due to substance abuse that began with how badly she was treated on the Shining set.. But no she's still alive today.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

The first Star Trek movie is notorious for nothing much happening in it and what little does happen seems like it tries to rip off 2001: A Space Odyssey. As to Khambatta not matching your memory, well there we are at the source of the Mandela Effect; Memory is often not precise, gets confused and merged with other things etc. Especially with things that aren't especially important to us.
As I sometimes write in these Mandela Effect threads; I can remember reading about Shelley Duval when I had seen the Shining for the first time, and I remember reading that she had died in the 1980s due to substance abuse that began with how badly she was treated on the Shining set.. But no she's still alive today.

What i believe happened was i had alleys hair in my mind of being a reach to have shaved it and it mixed up in my mind with an interview sigourney weaver did about aliens 3 when asked if she would shave her head she replied back how much extra do i get?

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, the13bats said:

What i believe happened was i had alleys hair in my mind of being a reach to have shaved it and it mixed up in my mind with an interview sigourney weaver did about aliens 3 when asked if she would shave her head she replied back how much extra do i get?

 

That makes a lot of sense, both is 1980s science fiction related and, while they don't look especially similar, Sigourney Wave and Kristie Alley were similar in that they both have/had a certain masculinity to their persona. For similar reasons I often mix up Kristie Alley with Linda Hamilton.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, the13bats said:

 

I have zero clue why i picture her bald and the actress who is bald in the first ST flick isnt what i remember at all, 

Maybe the first star trek movie was so badly bland that you merged it with the second.    The mind does do weird stuff like that.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

The lyrics on the net simply reflect what the man is singing and how it sounds in the song. "Sways".

A 73? Yo goes to an orginal copy of lyrics 50 yo and its  "The screen door slams, Mary's dress waves." Yet he says he has sang it

 "The screen door slams, Mary's dress sways" all this time, i believe him.

To me this isnt at all an example of Mandela its partly faulty memory but more something else. Take the two versions and sing them out loud, listen to flow the 3 words flow oddly "mary's dress xxxxx" i believe he sang it in the way that flowed best for his brain and ear.

Singing it and many other songs for 50 years of course its not odd a word in a song changed. Many times too a singer will embellish on the other hand perhaps he just slurred it up.

Look at the countless misunderstood lyrics of countless songs.

 

 

Sure but watch the video and he takes great pain to explain that he went over those lyrics with a fine tooth comb (his words) and that he was a detail fanatic. Speculation would be that the original for him said 'sways' but changed to 'waves'. At the end he says he cannot explain that. He seems to believe something he cannot explain occurred.

Papameter Reading

60% Mysterious Effect     30% Memory Error     10% Hoax

Edited by papageorge1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

Sure but watch the video and he takes great pain to explain that he went over those lyrics with a fine tooth comb (his words) and that he was a detail fanatic. Speculation would be that the original for him said 'sways' but changed to 'waves'. At the end he says he cannot explain that. He seems to believe something he cannot explain occurred.

Papameter Reading

60% Mysterious Effect     30% Memory Error     10% Hoax

No fine tooth comb needed its one word and the 2 possibilities show up in various versions of the song,

You are such a dear true believer, i read what he said and i listened to recordings and he simply changed a word nothing mysterious singers do that a lot and sometimes like he is doing add dramatics for flare.

Listen to the original vs later versions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Maybe the first star trek movie was so badly bland that you merged it with the second.    The mind does do weird stuff like that.

Very possible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, the13bats said:

No fine tooth comb needed its one word and the 2 possibilities show up in various versions of the song,

You are such a dear true believer, i read what he said and i listened to recordings and he simply changed a word nothing mysterious singers do that a lot and sometimes like he is doing add dramatics for flare.

Listen to the original vs later versions.

I guess you are not understanding what he is saying in the supplied video. He ends with 'how does that happen?'. It is an unexplained mystery to him. Mandela Effect? Quite possibly he's suggesting.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

I guess you are not understanding what he is saying in the supplied video. He ends with 'how do you explain that?'. It is an unexplained mystery to him. Mandela Effect? Quite possibly he's suggesting.

I read what the man said, he can look ridiculous all he wants to but both versions appear on various recordings so its no mystery.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, the13bats said:

I read what the man said, he can look ridiculous all he wants to but both versions appear on various recordings so its no mystery.

He didn't look ridiculous to me. Looked very competent and confidant. But the Mandela Effect is unprovable, so each gets their own take on this. He can't understand it normally.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

He didn't look ridiculous to me. Looked very competent and confidant. But the Mandela Effect is unprovable, so each gets their own take on this. He can't understand it normally.

Now you jump to this is mandela effect,

Stop being in weird denial go listen to various versions of the song and get past it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Now you jump to this is mandela effect,

Stop being in weird denial go listen to various versions of the song and get past it

I have no memories myself. Bruce tells us he’s only sang it one way for 50 years.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

I have no memories myself. Bruce tells us he’s only sang it one way for 50 years.

I didnt ask about your memories we know from past threads you are human with flawed memory.

I dont give ono obese rodents rectum what a 70s something pop rocker claims he did for 50 years fact is he sang it both ways the glaring undeniable proof is on youtube in the form of many recorded versions of that song where both "sways" or "waves" is used and can clearly be heard. Doesnt matter how much he used one or the other fact is he did use both now PG i know and respect your ego issues about admitting you are wrong but in this case its open and shut no grey area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

I didnt ask about your memories we know from past threads you are human with flawed memory.

I dont give ono obese rodents rectum what a 70s something pop rocker claims he did for 50 years fact is he sang it both ways the glaring undeniable proof is on youtube in the form of many recorded versions of that song where both "sways" or "waves" is used and can clearly be heard. Doesnt matter how much he used one or the other fact is he did use both now PG i know and respect your ego issues about admitting you are wrong but in this case its open and shut no grey area.

Wait, are you sure you've heard a version where Bruce himself sings 'waves' and not a cover artist? I'm seriously curious now, not provoking you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.