Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Date Set For Historic Cornwall Rocket Launch.

ouija ouija

The first ever orbital space launch from the UK is expected to take place on the night of Wednesday 14 December.

Entrepreneur Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit company will run the mission out of Newquay, Cornwall.

It will see a repurposed 747 release a rocket over the Atlantic to take nine satellites high above the Earth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63836495

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

EXCELLENT!  As competition grows, the prices go down ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, OverSword said:

They are launching Cornwall into orbit?  About time.

Why? What have you got against Cornwall?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Why? What have you got against Cornwall?

That's where Lord Cornwall lives.  Can't stand that guy.

31 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That's where Lord Cornwall lives.  Can't stand that guy.

If you mean the Duke of Cornwall, he doesn't live there.

28 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

If you mean the Duke of Cornwall, he doesn't live there.

He did when Uther was King and I hold grudges for a long time. :gun:

• Haha 4

I doubt if this satellite launcher will ever be allowed off the ground, TBH.

I expect we'll see a never-ending dispute between Devon and Cornwall over which stage of the rocket belongs at the bottom.

:hmm:

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, acute said:

I doubt if this satellite launcher will ever be allowed off the ground, TBH.

I expect we'll see a never-ending dispute between Devon and Cornwall over which stage of the rocket belongs at the bottom.

:hmm:

:unsure2: I don't honestly think that rocket parts are as important to the Cornish/Devonians as are jam, cream and scones . . . .

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/cornwall-cream-tea-scone-advert-locals-outrage-jam-cream-devon-lanhydrock-house-garden-a8251516.html

• Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 5:50 PM, OverSword said:

He did when Uther was King and I hold grudges for a long time. :gun:

Damn Uther...I'm with you! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

We're going to have to wait a little longer to see the first ever orbital space launch from UK soil.

Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit company had pencilled in next Wednesday for the historic Cornwall flight, but it is now going to slip until after Christmas.

The firm has cited technical and regulatory challenges in getting ready for the launch.

Neither Virgin Orbit nor its passenger satellites have yet been licensed.

Everyone involved in a launch has to seek permission for the activity from the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63895835

• Sad 1

:( I'm beginning to think it will never be launched. This is the third postponement.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

:( I'm beginning to think it will never be launched. This is the third postponement.

Branson has done the same thing at Spaceport New Mexico.   Someone else finally launched a test rocket there but nothing like Branson promised.

• Thanks 1

Meanwhile, I haven't heard two words about the ship we sent to orbit the moon.  Did NASA bring it back okay?  Crickets...but then...I don't get around that much...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The final remaining licences required for Virgin Orbit to launch from Spaceport Cornwall have been issued by the UK space regulator.

The Civil Aviation Authority has granted the launch operator and range control licences, which have been signed off by the Transport Secretary.

The CAA said it was "another major milestone" towards the first orbital space launch from UK soil.

A launch from the spaceport at Cornwall Airport Newquay is expected in January.

Earlier in December the launch was pushed back due to technical issues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-64049483

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I think Cornwall, I think menhirs.

When I think menhir, I think Obelix.

So, a rocket launch from Cornwall would look something like this:

url(32).jpg.ef24e9c41bb50147b1f27cd03e645b65.jpg

url(31).jpg.0ef86fdc4afb1a60eab26915647ef950.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I LOVE Obelix! :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cornwall space launch: Virgin Orbit targets Monday for UK mission

The first ever orbital space launch from the UK is back on and scheduled for the night of Monday 9 January.

The Virgin Orbit company says it's now ready to proceed with the historic mission, which will be run out of Cornwall Airport Newquay.

It will see a repurposed 747 release a rocket over the Atlantic to take nine satellites high above the Earth.

Virgin stood down an attempt before Christmas for late additional testing, but the firm says it's now good to go.

Its jumbo jet, nicknamed Cosmic Girl, together with the booster, known as LauncherOne, came through a "wet dress rehearsal" this week - a practice run at getting both vehicles fuelled and ready to make the charge down Newquay's runway.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-64179472

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How to spot the first rocket launch from UK soil

LauncherOne will be the first orbital rocket to launch from UK soil when it's carried skyward from Spaceport Cornwall, and will be visible across the country. Not only that, but people in Ireland, Spain, Portugal, and France will also be able to spot it in the sky.

Continued:

https://news.sky.com/story/start-me-up-how-to-spot-the-first-rocket-launch-from-uk-soil-12779170

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rocket debris warning to boats off Irish coast

The Irish government has warned all boats to avoid an area off the Irish coast during the Virgin Orbit space launch.

It warned of the low possibility of rocket debris falling from a height if anything goes wrong during the bid to release a rocket over the Atlantic.

A "marine hazard area" has been declared in an area of the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of counties Kerry and Cork.

The warning comes into effect at 22:00 local time on Monday.

The Virgin Orbit mission is due to take off from Cornwall in England on Monday night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn312y9ldleo

• Like 1

Off and on it's very stormy here. I hope it still goes ahead . . . I'll be standing in my garden to watch(if it isn't raining!) :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

I hope it still goes ahead . . .

With Cornwall being the crime capital of Britain, either the rocket will be stolen wholesale by metal thieves, or the plane will be drained of fuel by a local taxi company.

:innocent:

• Haha 3