Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

American Girl dolls pushes puberty blockers to address body issues

OverSword

The popular doll maker American Girl is facing backlash for its new girls’ guidebook that reportedly advises children struggling with body image issues to ask their doctors for puberty blocking medications and to seek transgender support without parental consent "if you don’t have an adult you trust."  

"A Smart Girl's Guide: Body Image Book" retails on the American Girl website for $12.99. 

The cover of the 96-page paperback penned by Mel Hammond shows four girls of varying body weights and skin colors. One’s in a wheelchair, while another has blue dyed hair. The subtitle reads, "how to love yourself, live life to the fullest, and celebrate all kinds of bodies." 

The details section for the book on the American Girl website reads, "Every girl needs to learn to live comfortably in her own skin, and this book will show the way! In these pages, a girl will find everything she needs to know about loving her unique self, staying confident through her body’s many changes, and appreciating her body for the life it lets her live. Full of activities, tips, crafts, and real-girl stories, this book is a feel-good reminder that all bodies are worthy of love and respect." 

Link

• Confused 3
  • Sad 4

Well this company will be on Santa's naughty list. :santa:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Disgusting corporate shills...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, and-then said:

Disgusting corporate shills...

Making that dolla makes them holla.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

I don't agree with this, but they decided on a quote from a journalist that called it permanent, catastrophic changes?  That's not the least bit true.  A puberty blocker is not permanent, and a puberty blocker does not cause catastrophic changes.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Agent0range said:

I don't agree with this, but they decided on a quote from a journalist that called it permanent, catastrophic changes?  That's not the least bit true.  A puberty blocker is not permanent, and a puberty blocker does not cause catastrophic changes.

Obviously neither one of us are medical professionals, but I’ve seen plenty of regretting transition videos where the person said they were absolutely permanently harmed. Were told by doctors that they may never have children. 

There are probably several factors here that could cause different outcomes. 

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 3

Another mountain out of a mole hill.

The article links an article with screenshots of the pages in quesiton

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11509601/American-Girl-accused-stripping-away-innocence-book-teaches-girls-change-gender.html

Seems pretty mild. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Obviously neither one of us are medical professionals, but I’ve seen plenty of regretting transition videos where the person said they were absolutely permanently harmed. Were told by doctors that they may never have children. 

There are probably several factors here that could cause different outcomes. 

Have you spent any time listening to stories of people who don't regret it?

If you keep your feed in a certain tunnel of information than of course you are going to feel the way you do 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Agent0range said:

To disrupt the natural development of a human being cannot possibly be a good thing.  Catastrophic?  I would say there is no definitive conclusions (yet).  Bad idea?  It must be.  

But regardless, who is American Girl that they should be giving medical advice to little girls or recommending ways to bypass their parents and legal guardians about life changing medical procedures?   Seems very inappropriate to me.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Absolutely inappropriate. Idk if they have a line of dolls for much older kids but these dolls are for very little girls. My girls love American Doll. Unbeknownst to them we been buying them knockoff versions their whole life. Now I feel even better about that. 

Who are these grown people who think it's their responsibility or that it's ok to accost other people's children with these heavy handed issues with underhanded tactics blindsiding parents with this stuff when all they wanted was to buy a doll for their girls and see them smile? Whatever happened to certain boundaries?

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1