Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists claim short man syndrome is real

Eldorado

According to 2022 data, in the UK the average height for men is 178.2cm – that’s equal to 5ft 9in – putting the likes of Tom Holland, Tom Cruise and Mark Wahlberg in the ‘short man’ category. Now, that’s not to say there’s anything wrong with being short. Studies suggest that shorter men have faster reaction times, stronger muscles in proportion to body weight and are less likely to break bones when falling.

You’d think short men would be happier, right? Well, according to a new study, apparently not. The study claims that ‘short man syndrome’ is a very real thing with those affected by it displaying more narcissistic tendencies to appear more powerful.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/mindandbody/scientists-confirm-short-man-syndrome-is-real/ar-AA150DKG?

In this study (N = 367; 62.53 % men) we reconsidered the Napoleon complex that suggests shorter people—men in particular—may compensate for their shortness with antagonistic behaviors. We conceptualized antagonism as individual differences in the Dark Triad traits (i.e., psychopathy, narcissism, and Machiavellianism) and found they were associated with not only being shorter but also with the wish to be taller; these associations were similar in the sexes. We discussed our results from an evolutionary (i.e., calibrating formidability) perspective.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0191886922004950

• Like 3

Have to admit I've never met many short people to know if this is true.

For the record, I'm 5' 6" - which is perfectly normal height for an adult male human  :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I didn't need a study to tell me this was real.  Seen it too many times to question it's reality.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Essan said:

For the record, I'm 5' 6" - which is perfectly normal height for an adult male human  :P

In Cambodia. :lol:

• Haha 3

I was once described as '6 foot of dynamite with a 2 inch fuse'. I'm not sure what she meant. I'm hoping it was short-tempered.

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 6

8 hours ago, Essan said:

If you were here in Britain you would be seen as tiny.

When it comes to what determines a persons height its a fascinating topic. Most ironic is that while women often like taller men, they dont know that its themselves who set the height of their offspring. So breeding with a tall man doesn`t fix the problem for their offspring. This is because genetic transcription factors (the bit extra that determines if genes are turned on or off) can only be passed on by women to the next generation. They don`t get encoded into sperm.

I`d say out of every 100 men here maybe 3 are 5 foot 6 and 1 is 5 foot 5. Then every thousand you get a really short one like 5 foot 2.

I disagree with the research, I think they are more aggressive because its an obvious thing to target. Like fat people get it for being fat.

Edited by Cookie Monster

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I didn't need a study to tell me this was real.  Seen it too many times to question it's reality.

Me too.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

If you were here in Britain you would be seen as tiny.

I am in Britain.  I'm as British as Stonehenge!  Wot was built by normal sized people.  None of these alien hybrids wot is over 5' 8"  :P 

Doubt me?  Visit a house bullt before 1900 and notice how anyone over normal height has to stoop to go through the door ;)   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Essan said:

I am in Britain.  I'm as British as Stonehenge!  Wot was built by normal sized people.  None of these alien hybrids wot is over 5' 8"  :P 

Doubt me?  Visit a house bullt before 1900 and notice how anyone over normal height has to stoop to go through the door ;)   

Maybe your area of the country is smaller.

Up here (up north) I dont even think the average height is 5 foot 9. I think it might be 6 foot 2.

3 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Maybe your area of the country is smaller.

Up here (up north) I dont even think the average height is 5 foot 9. I think it might be 6 foot 2.

Well t has been suggested that Tolkien based The Shire, and its inhabitants, on my part of the country - the Vale of Evesham :D   (although I originally come from East Anglia)

1 minute ago, Essan said:

Well t has been suggested that Tolkien based The Shire, and its inhabitants, on my part of the country - the Vale of Evesham :D   (although I originally come from East Anglia)

Mine is an old Viking settlement, and most people here look like them.

11 minutes ago, Essan said:

Some of my british relatives are are very tall, the Lavenders especially.  All over 6ft tall, usally more than 2 inches over 6 ft. The scottish relatives, on the other hand, are not tall, they would still consider 5'6" short.   The northern european relatives are taller than the british relatives.  

You make a good point about houses before 1900, but I always thought it was due to lack of building materials or the weight of the rocks being used to build the walls.  

I've found short guys to be smart asses, they know if you beat them up you will look the bad guy, in the pub, in court and to the ladies. They are akin to evil gnomes, imo they should be exterminated :devil:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Essan said:

Rome conquered the world with soldiers that height.

13 hours ago, openozy said:

I've found short guys to be smart asses, they know if you beat them up you will look the bad guy, in the pub, in court and to the ladies. They are akin to evil gnomes, imo they should be exterminated :devil:

Here's a whole village of oompa-loompas:

Edited by pellinore
  • Sad 1

On 12/8/2022 at 7:21 PM, OverSword said:

I don't like their little cars that go 'beep beep beep':

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not sure about it being a 'syndrome' but better nutrition these days has a lot to do with height and the way women and men are influenced is also related to the way media magazines portrays beauty and this varies between countries.  So it's probably more a 'preference' to assimilate a model standard, similar to women wanting to look skinny (ier).

A couple of generations ago the normal average height in most western countries was around 5' 9". Years ago an Australian WW2 war veteran I used to work with told me when he was stationed in occupied Japan he was almost a head above most males.  He was about 5' 10" - 5' 11".  Going by these stats Japanese average around 5' 7" now so still not tall by western standards but average high by theirs.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, openozy said:

:gun::lol:

I was shocked like most people when I first read about it, and it is exploitation, like the freak shows 100 years ago, making them dress up in "cute" clothes for tourists, but it is what it is in a country with few equal opportunities.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pellinore said:

I was shocked like most people when I first read about it, and it is exploitation, like the freak shows 100 years ago, making them dress up in "cute" clothes for tourists, but it is what it is in a country with few equal opportunities.

If I was that little I'd try to use that to fleece people, lol.