Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists achieve mind-bending 'quantum time flip'

UM-Bot

1 hour ago, jethrofloyd said:

A great achievment. We are the one step closer to the time travel.

P.S I love the image above the article. :tu:

Quantum particles are too small to make a gravity dent in spacetime so you can flip them back and forth between states.

As for time travel. Trying to send something large back in time would tear spacetime and create a "big rip" destroying the Universe. 

@zep73 @Harte Do I have it right? :unsure2:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Piney said:

Quantum particles are too small to make a gravity dent in spacetime so you can flip them back and forth between states.

As for time travel. Trying to send something large back in time would tear spacetime and create a "big rip" destroying the Universe. 

The problem isn't "what will happen if", but making it happen in the first place. It's not doable.

I explained it in another thread a while back:

In order for time to move backwards, every single particle in the universe needs to be first stopped in its trajectory, and then get pushed backwards and follow its old trajectory precisely, so it ends up exactly where it came from. The amount of energy and manipulation that would require, is much more that the universe contains or is capable of.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Piney said:

Who knows? Nobody knows what would really happen if someone went back in time.
It's not like there's instructions on how to accomplish backward time travel. It's more like there are no known instructions that would prevent such a thing.

By the way, this finding has absolutely nothing at all to do with any form of time travel and will certainly not lead to any breakthroughs on that subject.

Harte

Edited by Harte
  • Like 4

Because the title contains the words "time" and "quantum," it makes it irresistibly alluring to the clickbait addicts.

Harte

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Of course there are virtual particles (quantum fluctuations), that are hypothesised to travel in time. But that's hardly provable.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Piney said:

In 1935 Einstein and Rosen developed a Theory known as an Einstein Rosen Bridge ( Wormhole ). Which also includes the theory that time travel into the past may also be possible. Now I am not saying I understand the entire concept, only adding additional information!.

The Einstein-Rosen Bridge: Einstein - Rosen Bridge (lege.net)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

In 1935 Einstein and Rosen developed a Theory known as an Einstein Rosen Bridge ( Wormhole ). Which also includes the theory that time travel into the past may also be possible, and that time travel / wormholes May linked. Now, according to the theory time travel into the past is only possible, not time travel into the future. Now I am not saying I understand the entire concept, but it’s the only time travel theory I am aware of. 

quantum time flip

Well,. there's another quantum concept I won't ever understand. grrrrrrr 

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 6:45 PM, Grim Reaper 6 said:

In 1935 Einstein and Rosen developed a Theory known as an Einstein Rosen Bridge ( Wormhole ). Which also includes the theory that time travel into the past may also be possible. Now I am not saying I understand the entire concept, only adding additional information!.

The truth is, the conditions required concerning the black hole Einstein and Rosen were talking about were very specific, and the existence of any such bridge relied entirely on the specific spacetime geometry that they associated with such a black hole.
Since Einstein's time, other solutions for that geometry (using the same conditions on the black hole) have shown that the geometry the bridge relies on is not the only possible one for the black hole - meaning such a thing may not even exist.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Harte said:

The truth is, the conditions required concerning the black hole Einstein and Rosen were talking about were very specific, and the existence of any such bridge relied entirely on the specific spacetime geometry that they associated with such a black hole.
Since Einstein's time, other solutions for that geometry (using the same conditions on the black hole) have shown that the geometry the bridge relies on is not the only possible one for the black hole - meaning such a thing may not even exist.

Harte

Thanks for your reply, I was not aware of this.

• Like 2

I'm in no way a scientist, nor have a functioning understanding of anything being said, but I have a question. Light appeared to flow forwards & backwards through time. How? If they tried the experiment & saw light moving in 2 directions, great. It's bouncing off something. That said, for them to have seen it flow backwards, they would have had to have seen the light before doing the experiment. Only then could they have realized the light traveling backwards through time was the result of the experiment. Sounds like somebody flicked on a light, it bounced off a mirror or prism, and they made up some results. That could just be ignorance speaking, but when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

• Thanks 1

"Time" used in title is a misnomer. They split and froze particles in a state of entropy but with the halfs mirroring their counterparts but not "traveling" in reverse. I would say this is a great example of quantum entanglement and may lead to some applications in say instant communication over great distances and such. 

I seriously doubt that entanglement will ever be used for communicating anything.

Harte

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Harte said:

I seriously doubt that entanglement will ever be used for communicating anything.

Harte

I was hoping for a visit from my favorite GIF from you on this topic if only for selfish laughs.

• Haha 1

On 12/8/2022 at 1:24 PM, jethrofloyd said:

A great achievment. We are the one step closer to the time travel.

P.S I love the image above the article. :tu:

Time travel to the future is easy.

Sit someone in the time travel chamber, charge the outside of its walls to a trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion volts. Sadly, I think Musk might be the only able to afford it.

23 hours ago, Trelane said:

I was hoping for a visit from my favorite GIF from you on this topic if only for selfish laughs.

Hasn't gone far out enough - yet.

Harte

• Thanks 1