Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Street harassment: Wolf whistling to be banned in crackdown

pellinore

Sexual harassment on the street will be made a crime with jail sentences of up to two years, the government has said.

Wolf-whistling, catcalling and staring persistently will be criminalised in England under plans backed by Home Secretary Suella Braverman.

Sexual harassment is already illegal but it is hoped creating a new offence for street harassment will encourage more people to report it to police.

"Every woman should feel safe to walk our streets," Ms Braverman said.

"We are putting the needs of victims at the heart of our decision, which will mean the criminals who commit these acts face the consequences they deserve," the home secretary added.

Street harassment: Wolf whistling to be banned in crackdown - BBC News

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, pellinore said:

face the consequences they deserve,

These people have lost the plot totally.  I can see it now.  A scantily-clad bimbo walks past a construction site, some guy hoots and hollers and the next scene is a SWAT team raiding the building and lining up a dozen potential offenders :lol:  

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, and-then said:

These people have lost the plot totally.  I can see it now.  A scantily-clad bimbo walks past a construction site, some guy hoots and hollers and the next scene is a SWAT team raiding the building and lining up a dozen potential offenders :lol:  

Well, nobody is ever going to stop me shouting out stuff like "Get them out for the boys!" when I drive past a fit bird in the street, because fit birds like that sort of witty banter!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

"shouting out stuff like "Get them out for the boys!"

Yes, why would lads even do that??

KXGPJISZMBQPOXP7WFPACHRB4Y.thumb.jpg.8a8c4261139bb73eb248e3e884ee0219.jpg

article-2214538-1567B478000005DC-481_634x461.jpg.c50d029355a24ce480dd068fc7bd5971.jpg

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 3

• Like 1

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

"shouting out stuff like "Get them out for the boys!"

Yes, why would lads even do that??

KXGPJISZMBQPOXP7WFPACHRB4Y.thumb.jpg.8a8c4261139bb73eb248e3e884ee0219.jpg

article-2214538-1567B478000005DC-481_634x461.jpg.c50d029355a24ce480dd068fc7bd5971.jpg

Those poor young ladies, someone must have stolen some of their clothes. I do hope some gentlemen offered them their jackets to cover themselves up. 

• Haha 2

Dang it now i can't ooogle at women during the summer anymore.  :-P

Edited by 'Walt' E. Kurtz

1_KNOLLNEW.thumb.jpg.bd6025e83b2faa601d307e80d142bf97.jpg

"Fans caught taking photos of the World Cup's 'sexiest fan' were doing so in order to report her to the country's authorities, it's been claimed."  :rolleyes:

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, pellinore said:

Young ladies behaving with dignity! How outraged they would be if someone wolf whistled at them!

I have just realised that this video, which is of an ordinary High Street, with normal behaviour on a night out, is shown as age restricted on YouTube. And if you were to be heard commenting on the behaviour and someone took offence, you could get two years! So you can see and hear this behaviour, but can't publicly comment on it! What a strange country we are becoming!

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 1

So a woman who dresses in sexy clothing so that men will ogle her can have those men arrested?     Stupid law.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

So a woman who dresses in sexy clothing so that men will ogle her can have those men arrested?     Stupid law.  

Agree with that, however, I do not think that this law is directed to "protect" the women who do like to attract other males. This has something to do with the mentality of europeans and especially eastern, europeans, balkan europeans and middle easterners.

Regardles of my critics of Northamericans for many things, ordinary women are much safer in the US, especially here in Canada, than they are in Europe. Unfortunately it happens many times that guys are starring at women even when they are dressed modestly and in their Husband's/Boyfriend's company. Besides that they also throw deragotary insults for no reason, trying to touch....I know, have seen it all and knocked a few of those out myself.

So, the law makes sense and is overdue but unfortunately with flaws that can get a decent guy in trouble for no reason.

• Like 1

Since Offense it taken, not given (no matter how hard you try)  it seems stupid to legislate behavior like this.  Most women know this kind of behavior only deserves to be ignored, as long as it is just noise and no one getting too close.  And most men KNOW it is inappropriate, insluting and for some women, terrifying, but for some immature reason they think it is funny.   So Everyone needs to just act like an adult and take responsibility for your bad behavior (whether that be cat calling women, or taking offense at every corner).

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

1_KNOLLNEW.thumb.jpg.bd6025e83b2faa601d307e80d142bf97.jpg

"Fans caught taking photos of the World Cup's 'sexiest fan' were doing so in order to report her to the country's authorities, it's been claimed."  :rolleyes:

Yeah, like the people who only visit P---hub for "research purposes".

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 1

This is a bit ridiculous. What man is guilty of looking at a pretty woman except every man that ever lived. You're all going to be lined up on the side of the road.

As long as what's being said isn't personally insulting and no one is touching, just keep on walking. A few more steps and it's all over.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 3