Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tory’s defection to Reform UK - trickle could become a flood if Farage takes over

pellinore

It is little surprise that many of these disaffected Tory supporters are falling into the welcoming arms of Reform UK, which emerged from the ashes of the Brexit Party after the 2019 general election.

Richard Tice, the party’s leader, strongly hinted that he is in talks with other councillors and even Tory MPs about defecting. “More discussions are ongoing across the board,” he said.

If this sounds familiar, that’s because it is – Nigel Farage ran a similar operation when the UK Independence Party was causing headaches for David Cameron, the then-Tory leader, a decade ago.

Reform UK has been polling at around nine per cent for several weeks now as voters have warmed to its offering of lower taxes, more secure borders and cheaper energy.

But how much more would the party be polling if Mr Farage could be persuaded to put his career at GB News on ice and re-enter the political fray?

Is Tory’s defection to Reform UK the beginning of a trickle – or a flood? (msn.com)

Edited by pellinore
  • Like 4

• The title was changed to Tory’s defection to Reform UK - trickle could become a flood if Farage takes over

7 hours ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The apparent slow recovery of tory polling might deter potential party defectors a bit. ;)

https://order-order.com/2022/12/09/savanta-records-lowest-labour-poll-lead-since-september/ 

It is a shame you quoted Guido Fawkes (aka the British Breibart) because lots of normal outlets are reporting the Tories are closing the gap too. So far, every by-election since Jan 2021 has been lost by the Tories (2 under Boris, Chester a few weeks ago), and there is almost 2 years to go. I'm sure you will admit there is a growing majority who think Brexit is going badly. What is being disputed is why-  Remoaners/Rejoiners say it was flawed as a concept, Brexiters say it hasn't been 'done properly' and we are still too closely tied to the EU. That's why the Reform Party is gaining traction. It will be interesting to see if Farage re-enters politics- he can steal votes from any Party as he is seen as "Mr Brexit".

The Tories need to stave of the predicted recession- no political party has been forgiven for making their voters poorer- Truss failed with her Brexit mini-statement, so Hunt is going to try to reverse the losses of the City with his deregulation (the City has lost it's equity market to Paris and it's share trading prominence to Amsterdam).

Personally, I have no interest in Brexit, I never felt enslaved to the 'EUSSR' or 'EUrinal', or whatever Brexiters like to call the EU (in fact I quite like the EU as an institution), and I don't feel any freer today than I did in 2019, in fact I feel less free with regards to travel in Europe. I feel a bit poorer, though.

Edited by pellinore

8 hours ago, pellinore said:

It is a shame you quoted Guido Fawkes (aka the British Breibart) because lots of normal outlets are reporting the Tories are closing the gap too. So far, every by-election since Jan 2021 has been lost by the Tories (2 under Boris, Chester a few weeks ago), and there is almost 2 years to go. I'm sure you will admit there is a growing majority who think Brexit is going badly. What is being disputed is why-  Remoaners/Rejoiners say it was flawed as a concept, Brexiters say it hasn't been 'done properly' and we are still too closely tied to the EU. That's why the Reform Party is gaining traction. It will be interesting to see if Farage re-enters politics- he can steal votes from any Party as he is seen as "Mr Brexit".

The Tories need to stave of the predicted recession- no political party has been forgiven for making their voters poorer- Truss failed with her Brexit mini-statement, so Hunt is going to try to reverse the losses of the City with his deregulation (the City has lost it's equity market to Paris and it's share trading prominence to Amsterdam).

Personally, I have no interest in Brexit, I never felt enslaved to the 'EUSSR' or 'EUrinal', or whatever Brexiters like to call the EU (in fact I quite like the EU as an institution), and I don't feel any freer today than I did in 2019, in fact I feel less free with regards to travel in Europe. I feel a bit poorer, though.

It is a shame you quoted Guido Fawkes (aka the British Breibart) because lots of normal outlets are reporting the Tories are closing the gap too.

So what's the problem ? 

Suggesting some news outlets are less worthy tends to be frowned upon in this place and I am sure it would be in this instance. 

• Like 1