Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged] Kari Lake Files Lawsuit in Bid to Overturn Arizona Election Defeat

Portre

14 minutes ago, the13bats said:

And you earned it ! :tu:

I  made a lot of sacrifices for it, and it sure wasn’t an easy road to walk my friend!:tu:

Thanks for the kind words there much appreciated, when I hear that said about any of our soldiers it always makes it all seem worth it! :tu:

This is my motto when life gets me down!

Edited by Grim Reaper 6
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2022 at 8:33 PM, Paranoid Android said:

That's the democrats talking points, most of which is bunk. 

Quite false.

Restrictions on voting hours in Virginia - Republican led.

Restrictions on mail in voting proposed in many states because Democratic voters by far favor mail in ballots.

All you have posted are the conservative talking points which have been shown time and again to be false.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2022 at 9:53 PM, Paranoid Android said:

Depends on the reasons for all these things. For example, many places changed/amended the rules during the Pandemic to institute extra drop boxes. Then the Republicans walked back that particular rule after the Pandemic was over, and democrats claimed that removing these boxes was voter suppression when it was really just reverting rules back to pre-pandemic normalcy. 

Other times, the democrats simply lied about the closing of polling stations early.

I'd have to look at each individual claim you have alleged to have demonstrated voter suppression, and get back to you about the nitty-gritty. 

The Republicans care about freedom in a way that the democrats simply have not shown they care. If the democrats could have chosen a better candidate than Joe Biden I could have easily found myself supporting them instead. If they ran with either Tulsi Gabbard or Pete Buttigieg as president I would have supported them over the Republicans in 2020. But they chose Joe Biden! 

The Republicans today do not care about freedom. Trump tried to stop the election process on Jan 6. Republicans brought so many knowingly false suits to court that some lawyers were disbarred.

At one time the Republicans were very different than the party they re today.

It is not true that Repubicans have reduced the number of ballot boxes to pre-pandemic levels. These boxes have made voting easier and better especially during the pandemic. What started the removal of the boxes was Trump. He didn't want them for the 2020 election. His supporters have continued to demand the removal thinking that the boxes led to Trump's loss in 2020. Republicans wanted to remove the drop boxes completely or to levels making them not useful.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/elections-and-campaigns/rise-in-use-of-ballot-drop-boxes-sparks-partisan-battles-magazine2020.aspx

Controversy over drop boxes stems from unease over the huge ramp-up in absentee voting during the pandemic and the unproven idea—fomented mostly by Republicans and President Donald Trump—that “if you have drop boxes it would be easier to do nefarious things,” said Charles Stewart III, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology political science professor who has studied election mechanics extensively and found no evidence of drop box misuse.

Bolding mine

Texas Governor Greg Abbott (R) has been accused of trying to stifle Democratic votes by issuing a directive limiting ballot drop boxes to one per county. That strikes some Democrats as an effort to make voting harder for residents of the state’s sprawling metropolises, which tend to vote Democratic. Harris County, home to Houston, has a population of more than 4.7 million people and covers 1,777 square miles.

Notice that this is October 202. This is not reducing the boxes to pre-pandemic levels.

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 4:26 AM, bmk1245 said:

If you can't manage to get ID/passport, you can't vote. Simple.

How hard is to call taxi and drive to department that issue ID/passport? Why asking ID/passport to board the plane is mandatory, and is ok, but asking ID/passport during voting is some sort of racisism, agephobia, whatever, etc? If elderly can't get ID/passport by themselves (don't have kids), I'm pretty sure social workers (or even neighbors "Hi, Maggy, I'll drive you to get/renew your ID") can help with that.

Driving a car is not a right. It is a privilege.

Voting is a constitutional right.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

How many US states actually have ID requirements that force people to pay for a licence in order to vote? If there is even one,  I don't know of it.  But if it's there,  I will agree that this is a form of vote suppression,  and whichever State has this rule should abolish it immediately.  If they have Photo ID rules for elections and this ID is free, or they have alternatives (eg, in Georgia,  you can use your social security number if you don't have a licence, or even a utilities bill will work for ID), then that's not any kind of voter suppression and is, in my opinion, entirely acceptable (maybe even preferable). 

It is illegal to charge anyone any amount of money to be able to vote.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

So what's the argument about, then? We agree that forcing people to pay for ID is voter suppression,  and lo and behold there are no States that force people to pay for ID to vote! I'm unaware of any Republican push to change this and force voters to pay for ID in order to vote!

Talk about mountains out of mole hills

Republicans push laws to (very incomplete list):

• Restrict drop boxes
  • Restrict mail in votes
  • Restrict voting hours

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2021/voting-restrictions-republicans-states/

In 43 states across the country, Republican lawmakers have proposed at least 250 laws that would limit mail, early in-person and Election Day voting with such constraints as stricter ID requirements, limited hours or narrower eligibility to vote absentee, according to data compiled as of Feb. 19 by the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice. Even more proposals have been introduced since then.

• Thanks 1

Now they are pursuing sanctions against her lawyers: ‘Enough really is enough’: Arizona county seeks sanctions for Kari Lake’s lawyers over election denial (msn.com)

The lawyers also noted that Ms Lake had made public statements pledging to only accept the results of the 2020 election if she won, and said the “entire purpose” of Ms Lake’s failed lawsuit was “to plant baseless seeds of doubt in the electorate’s mind about the integrity and security of the 2022 General Election in Maricopa County”.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

No, I agree the Republicans are not pushing to force voters to pay for an ID, however they are pushing not allow people to vote without one, kind of a forced double standard isn't it. The easiest solution to the voter ID issue is explained in the Article below, its being adopted by states that recently adopted voter ID laws. Its, a simple fix that will solve the problem that is a mole hill because of foolish political rhetoric by both Parties is becoming an unnecessary Mountain. 

States Dispute Criticism of New Voter Laws, Move to Offer Photo ID Free of Charge:States Dispute Criticism of New Voter Laws, Move to Offer Photo ID Free of Charge | Fox News

Hi Grim Reaper 6. The article you linked to is from 2015. I took a look around to see if any of the complaints came to be.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1030430564/new-laws-have-basically-ended-voter-registration-drives-in-some-parts-of-the-u-s

Davis Hammet, president of the Kansas civic engagement group Loud Light, says that subjective standard would probably include work his volunteers do, which includes approaching people with clipboards and registering them to vote.

"So, if someone accuses you of being an election official or saying they were just confused and thought you were one, and you were arrested, you would be charged with a felony," Hammet says. "And so, a felony means you lose your right to vote. So, you could lose your right to vote for trying to help people vote."

As a result, Hammet suspended his organization's voter registration drives just as they would ordinarily be ratcheting up to register hundreds of incoming college freshmen. Other organizations, including the League of Women Voters of Kansas, have shut down in-person registration drives too.

That was 2021. BTW, a Republican law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/interactive/2021/voting-restrictions-republicans-states/

In 43 states across the country, Republican lawmakers have proposed at least 250 laws that would limit mail, early in-person and Election Day voting with such constraints as stricter ID requirements, limited hours or narrower eligibility to vote absentee, according to data compiled as of Feb. 19 by the nonpartisan Brennan Center for Justice. Even more proposals have been introduced since then.

Here is a place talking about what gets younger people to vote and it does not match up with Republican plans

https://circle.tufts.edu/latest-research/impact-voting-laws-youth-turnout-and-registration

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I  made a lot of sacrifices for it, and it sure wasn’t an easy road to walk my friend!:tu:

Thanks for the kind words there much appreciated, when I hear that said about any of our soldiers it always makes it all seem worth it! :tu:

This is my motto when life gets me down!

Thats my fav tune by them.

My dad was navy started as a plane tech then went into photo analysis stayed 21 years so his experence was very different to yours and my dad would have placed you higher than himself or at least different.

Military wasnt for me or maybe i should say i was too defective and thats okay but i do have a very great respect for people like yourself whose career is protecting others by putting their own lives on the line.

It might sound weird but i feel to run for potus to hold that office a person should have served military duty its not a job for people who have sore feet.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stereologist said:

Hi Grim Reaper 6. The article you linked to is from 2015. I took a look around to see if any of the complaints came to be.

https://www.npr.org/2021/08/23/1030430564/new-laws-have-basically-ended-voter-registration-drives-in-some-parts-of-the-u-s

Here is a place talking about what gets younger people to vote and it does not match up with Republican plans

https://circle.tufts.edu/latest-research/impact-voting-laws-youth-turnout-and-registration

IMO , This is the kind of thing that Republicans do , instead of doing what the people want and make things more attractive to vote for them , they instead do what they want and try to sidestep the voting laws . Again IMO , they seem to forget that they represent the people , like to them , getting voted in is a license for them to do whatever they want. Which in a way , it is kinda that way since they are voted in , but they still represent the people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, stereologist said:

It is illegal to charge anyone any amount of money to be able to vote.

Agreed. I asked how many places did this. The answer appears to be "zero"! 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2022 at 6:26 PM, Paranoid Android said:

How many US states actually have ID requirements that force people to pay for a licence in order to vote? If there is even one,  I don't know of it.  But if it's there,  I will agree that this is a form of vote suppression,  and whichever State has this rule should abolish it immediately.  If they have Photo ID rules for elections and this ID is free, or they have alternatives (eg, in Georgia,  you can use your social security number if you don't have a licence, or even a utilities bill will work for ID), then that's not any kind of voter suppression and is, in my opinion, entirely acceptable (maybe even preferable). 

In Pennsylvania, the first time you vote after you register you must show your ID...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

In Pennsylvania, the first time you vote after you register you must show your ID...

Exactly, Orange, exactly. You've made my point better than anyone else could have. The big question to ask is "Which ID" are you talking about? 

According to Pennsylvania's website: 

When voting at a polling place for the first time, you must show proof of identification, either with photo or not. Learn more about the types of ID you can show.

Approved forms of photo identification include:

• Pennsylvania driver’s license or PennDOT ID card
  • ID issued by any Commonwealth agency
  • ID issued by the U.S. Government
  • U.S. passport
  • U.S. Armed Forces ID
  • Student ID
  • Employee ID

If you do not have a photo ID, you can use a non-photo identification that includes your name and address

• Confirmation issued by the County Voter Registration Office
  • Non-photo ID issued by the Commonwealth
  • Non-photo ID issued by the U.S. Government
  • Firearm permit
  • Current utility bill
  • Current bank statement
  • Current paycheck
  • Government check

https://www.vote.pa.gov/Register-to-Vote/Pages/Voter-ID-for-First-Time-Voters.aspx

In other words, voter ID laws are entirely acceptable in Pennsylvania! 

4 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Exactly, Orange, exactly. You've made my point better than anyone else could have. The big question to ask is "Which ID" are you talking about? 

According to Pennsylvania's website: 

In other words, voter ID laws are entirely acceptable in Pennsylvania! 

I think the main issue is that I had no idea I had to show ID when I voted.  And I had no idea there were alternatives to showing ID..

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, the13bats said:

Thats my fav tune by them.

it’s one of my favorite songs of all time.:nw: Bats you may enjoy the thread I started on this very subject today!:D

My dad was navy started as a plane tech then went into photo analysis stayed 21 years so his experence was very different to yours and my dad would have placed you higher than himself or at least different!

I always do the same thing you Dad would have concerning others Veteran’s no matter what branch or their job you Dad and would certainly have gotten along if I had ever meet him Bats!:yes:

Military wasnt for me or maybe i should say i was too defective and thats okay but i do have a very great respect for people like yourself whose career is protecting others by putting their own lives on the line.

It might sound weird but i feel to run for potus to hold that office a person should have served military duty its not a job for people who have sore feet.

Bats the military certainly isn’t for everyone, however whether they can’t serve or choose not to since the end if the draft is a personal choice which I sincerely respect.:tu: I am certainly not one of those fools who think if you don’t serve you’re less or a man or a woman but those idiots are out there when I encounter another Veteran like that I break contact quickly and avoid all further contact with the individual.

My only pet peeve is with those who avoided the draft for what ever reason, with one exception  if they were truly religious and due their beliefs they could not kill and they became  a conscientious objector I can respect that choice.:tu: However, those who were physically and mentally able to serve and became draft dodgers from the Vietnam Era and before are the lowest for of feces on the planet in my opinion and if it were up to me they would loose their citizenship and be expelled from our country. You, know those entitled individuals who would use school, leave the country, or faked medical conditions like out favorite politician Diaper Don.:angry:

I agree that it should be a requirement that that the President of the United States and the Vice President should have served either in the reserves or on active duty. But, realistically that will never happen and we both know it because the representatives who are have need to meet that requirement would lose bladder and bowel control during their political melt downs if faced with that requirement.:lol:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stereologist said:

Thanks for the post and the information you added, I always try to be accurate but we all know it’s not possible so I appreciate the help by adding the sources here. It’s certainly a shame more people don’t try to help each out when expressing points whether they agree or disagree like this.

Far to many react in a sarcastic manner which serves no one’s purpose since posting comments is supposed to be about sharing, teaching and especially learn from others more knowledgeable than ourselves! This same group of individuals always have comments to make but more often than not will not or do not add sources to back up their comments. Then we have the foreign members who love to post on American political topics, not honestly 95% plus of those members research the subject and provide sources of information which is cool because I often learn from some of them myself. 

However, the 5% who don’t are very frustrating to deal with because of their complete and utter lack of knowledge, and when called upon it and given a source that proves them wrong they don’t act in a respectful manner and acknowledge their mistake. But, on the flip side of things they don’t know how foolish and ridiculousthey actually look or even that others are paying attention that their comments are regurgitations from like minded American member who are also wrong.:lol:

I mean why even participate at all if one’s give name is “ Dick “:lol:

Thanks again for post man I appreciate it!:tu:

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

I think the main issue is that I had no idea I had to show ID when I voted.  And I had no idea there were alternatives to showing ID..

I don't even live in your country and it took me all of ten seconds to find out the voter ID requirements. I think the main issue is describing such a situation as "voter suppression" when it's clearly nothing of the sort! 

• Haha 1

Showing that are the person is not just showing an ID, there is also the requirement that you have the right to vote in a particular place.

For example, a person must live in a political area to vote in that area. A person with residency in two A cannot vote for the mayor of town B. The same is true for elections at the county level, the state level, and the federal level.

Election restrictions are for wider ranging than have an ID to vote or being required to produce an ID to vote.

As my links showed there are two steps in voting:

• Registering to vote
  • Being able to vote

I produced a link that showed Kansas is trying to make it difficult for people to go out and register people to become voters.

I produced links showing that restrictions on voter drop boxes, voting times, early voting and mail in ballots is being done to restrict who can vote under the excuse of preventing fraud.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

I don't even live in your country and it took me all of ten seconds to find out the voter ID requirements. I think the main issue is describing such a situation as "voter suppression" when it's clearly nothing of the sort! 

Please support your statement.

The evidence that has been posted shows that it is voter suppression.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, razman said:

IMO , This is the kind of thing that Republicans do , instead of doing what the people want and make things more attractive to vote for them , they instead do what they want and try to sidestep the voting laws . Again IMO , they seem to forget that they represent the people , like to them , getting voted in is a license for them to do whatever they want. Which in a way , it is kinda that way since they are voted in , but they still represent the people.

Idk until several years ago i wasnt at all interested in politics i didnt know much about the parties or their differences, up until BOM rep and dem were pretty much equal in pros and cons and the reasons a person liked a party was to me akin to why people like chevy or Ford, its the one that appeals to them.

Imnsho when trump came aboard it really changed the GOP trump talks trash of rinos when he is a bigly one trump isnt gop he is trump its all about him but his branding as GOP has forever damaged that party it will take years of hard work for the GOP to remove that orange taint.

Magatrump isnt GOP isnt its own party its a parasite Lets see if GOP endorse that tangerine albertrose hanging around their necks 2024.

Edited by the13bats
added, to clarify
  • Like 5

I hope Hobbs is successful here because as we all saw Lake has a big mouth and nothing to back up her stories.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-gov-elect-katie-hobbs-213100947.html

On Monday, Hobbs requested the court award her $36,990 in attorneys’ fees and expenses for the court proceedings attached to Lake’s challenge.

Telling falsehoods should not go unpunished.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Well, gee, if I could have traveled to the future to the internet in the palm of my hand when I became of age to vote, I guess it wouldn't be an issue then, right?

On 12/27/2022 at 12:44 PM, stereologist said:

Please support your statement.

The evidence that has been posted shows that it is voter suppression.

I can't prove a negative! You're the one who is claiming that such voting requirements are suppression,  if your definition of voter suppression is so loose,  then anything can be voter suppression! Not allowing political parties to give out bottled water at voting stations is probably voter suppression to you too, with such loose definitions!

On 12/28/2022 at 7:59 AM, Agent0range said:

Well, gee, if I could have traveled to the future to the internet in the palm of my hand when I became of age to vote, I guess it wouldn't be an issue then, right?

Your "evidence" for voter suppression is over 20 years out of date! I'm talking about USA 2022, not what happened to you in the pre-internet era!

Edited by Paranoid Android