Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK strike days calendar – the public service stoppages planned for December

Still Waters

19 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Would you if you were in the UK?   Considering how expensive it is, who ever can afford it probably does buy it.

The truth is considering how expensive the NHS is, it's crazy how difficult it is to even get an appointment with a trained medical professional. With the money I (& most people that pay into the 'system') could save from the tax taken from my wages & given to the NHS, I could quite easily pay for private health care.

832066341_R(5).thumb.jpg.3341cafa1578cd2d75c19904a73a038f.jpg

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Desertrat56 said:

Would you if you were in the UK?   Considering how expensive it is, who ever can afford it probably does buy it.

I have been to the UK and did have it- but I am American.  People who work for international companies that have it as a universal benefit also have it.

But I do get your point.  If the "common" British citizen didn't have NHS then they would be screwed as they would effectly have the same as the American system.

• Like 2

Just now, Gromdor said:

I have been to the UK and did have it- but I am American.  People who work for international companies that have it as a universal benefit also have it.

But I do get your point.  If the "common" British citizen didn't have NHS then they would be screwed as they would effectly have the same as the American system.

Yes, I could have worded that differently but you got my point.   

3 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

The truth is considering how expensive the NHS is, it's crazy how difficult it is to even get an appointment with a trained medical professional. With the money I (& most people that pay into the 'system') could save from the tax taken from my wages & given to the NHS, I could quite easily pay for private health care.

Oh man, I hate to break it to you...  1 pound sterling is $1.22 dollars.  If you made 60,000($73,000 American dollars)/yr and paid 3442 ($4199 American) you would be able to afford only 4 months of my insurance...  You could buy cheaper but the deductible would also be more than what you pay a year....

edit to add:  It costs $1200 just to ride an ambulance in America.

Edited by Gromdor
Edit to add
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gromdor said:

Oh man, I hate to break it to you...  1 pound sterling is $1.22 dollars.  If you made 60,000($73,000 American dollars)/yr and paid 3442 ($4199 American) you would be able to afford only 4 months of my insurance...  You could buy cheaper but the deductible would also be more than what you pay a year....

edit to add:  It costs $1200 just to ride an ambulance in America.

Yep, my insurance is high deductible, 8150.00 must be paid by me before the insurance kicks in for anything.   In January we are going with a different plan and the deductible is 5000.00 plus copays that are not applied to the deductible  (must be paid before any claim is paid by insurance)

Edited by Desertrat56

Just now, Desertrat56 said:

Yep, my insurance is high deductible, 8150.00 must be paid by me before the insurance kicks in for anything.   In January we are going with a different plan and the deductibel is 5000.00 plus copays that are not applied to the deductible  (must be paid before any claim is paid by insurance)

The chart is missing the employer side of National Insurance contributions (NICs).

NICs are used to fund healthcare. If they were paid to employees they would be earning a lot more. But of course what have to pay healthcare themselves then.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

The chart is missing the employer side of National Insurance contributions (NICs).

NICs are used to fund healthcare. If they were paid to employees they would be earning a lot more. But of course what have to pay healthcare themselves then.

That would be the same as our private insurance system, though.  My brother in law has a $40,000/yr health insurance plan mostly paid for by his company.  He was checking on the cost he would have to pay out to keep it and retire.

Edit to add: He didn't retire.

Edited by Gromdor
Edit to add
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Gromdor said:

That would be the same as our private insurance system, though.  My brother in law has a $40,000/yr health insurance plan mostly paid for by his company.  He was checking on the cost he would have to pay out to keep it and retire.

Edit to add: He didn't retire.

Yep, and UK prices are more monitored, there is no charging 1000% for a drug.

7 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Average US health insurance is $21342. 73% paid by employers so $5762 paid by employees (https://www.investopedia.com/how-much-does-health-insurance-cost-4774184).

Average UK income is ~£38000 (https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/pay-salary/average-uk-salary) so let's round up for the sake of giving you a fighting chance and use the 45k figure from your chart. That has employees paying £2253 ($2744). So UK citizens save >50% on the NHS compared to a US model.

Short version, stop talking **** and pretending you know what you're talking about.

7 hours ago, Setton said:

Average US health insurance is $21342. 73% paid by employers so $5762 paid by employees (https://www.investopedia.com/how-much-does-health-insurance-cost-4774184).

Average UK income is ~£38000 (https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/pay-salary/average-uk-salary) so let's round up for the sake of giving you a fighting chance and use the 45k figure from your chart. That has employees paying £2253 ($2744). So UK citizens save >50% on the NHS compared to a US model.

Short version, stop talking **** and pretending you know what you're talking about.

Well he is right, the average private healthcare policy cost here in the UK is £1115 per year.

Remember the NHS is paid for by employee NICs and employer NICs combined. That means the average Brit pays x3 more to fund the NHS than it does for private healthcare coverage, and their employer pays more. It ridiculous.

The NHS needs privatising and instead a healthcare component needs adding to low income and disabled benefits. It would work fine with just one extra measure - price control on medical treatments. Although there is also the counter argument that a top performing hospital should be able to charge more. Which I agree with.

On 12/15/2022 at 7:32 AM, pellinore said:

The NHS is a source of constant vociferous moaning from the small percentage of the population who either are lucky enough for them and their families not to need expensive care, or can afford private care.

The NHS should be scrapped. Seriously. Let private insurance companies fund healthcare, with their fees and excess discounts .Let people experience paying £500 per month for insulin if they have diabetes, a £1k bill for an ambulance ride to A&E, a choice in A&E whether they get a blood test for their child or pay £2.5k for it to be done and analysed. Dad has got cardiac stenosis?- cough up £30k to get his heart functioning properly again, or get a house extension?

Once people have experienced those choices, we could then have a vote on whether we want to return to paying a small percentage of our earnings each month in exchange for health care free at the point of need.

The NHS is a very broken system wrapped in its own political dogma that results change and perpetuates under performance given its budget. The alternative isn't private, the alternative is scrap and rebuild it properly.

Amazon workers at the company's warehouse in Coventry have voted to take strike action in what is believed to be a UK first.

The GMB union said hundreds of workers voted to walk out over a 50 pence per hour pay offer.

A majority of more than 98% of workers voted to strike on a ballot turnout of more than 63%, the union said.

Amazon has previously said it offered "competitive pay" and gave workers "comprehensive benefits".

The ballot shut on Friday, but any industrial action is likely to take place in the new year. Workers had wanted their hourly pay to rise from £10 an hour to £15.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-64007265