Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gary Lineker calls US ‘extraordinarily racist country’ and reignites row between BBC and Qatar

itsnotoutthere

Gary Lineker has branded the United States “an extraordinarily racist country” as the BBC became embroiled in a new row over the former England striker-turned-TV presenter's political pronouncements.

Lineker had already angered current World Cup hosts Qatar by voicing concerns over its human rights record. The Qataris hit back over what they said was the BBC's “very racist” coverage of the tournament.

Lineker responded by doubting whether Qatar's Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy had even been watching the corporation’s output and doubled down on his denial of accusations he had failed to engage with them before criticising the event live on air.

But in showing he was prepared to do the same with the next World Cup he took a swipe at co-hosts the United States, calling it “an extraordinarily racist country”.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment/tv/gary-lineker-calls-us-extraordinarily-racist-country-and-reignites-row-between-bbc-and-qatar/ar-AA15efiO?ocid=BingHp01&cvid=c7e4801aa56b41099caf4911bc076d8e

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

He does rather like to share his political opinions rather than stick to talking about football which is in fact what he is paid those vast amounts money to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

He is nothing but an overpaid attention seeking gobshite.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Who cares what a sports personality says?   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

The guy is not a smart man.  

Really.   It is so obvious.   :lol:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Who cares what a sports personality says?   

'personality' is a stretch.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

21 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

Gary Lineker has branded the United States “an extraordinarily racist country” as the BBC became embroiled in a new row over the former England striker-turned-TV presenter's political pronouncements.

The hilarious thig is, if the USA shut up about racism, it would no longer be considered a racist country.  Japan, Saudi Arabia, India and China (for example) are far more racist than the USA but they aren't white, and as we know, only white people can be racist.  Perhaps white people double down and get really really racist?  If you're going to do the time, you might as well do the crime...  I'm not advocating racism mind you, just decrying the ridiculous double standard.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Ell said:

I have considered the USA a racist culture since my childhood in the early sixties. The most racist of them in my opinion are the pretend anti-racists.

I am curious what part of the country you grew up in.  I grew up in New Mexico and all the "racism" I saw was against the natives, or it was the goofy wannabe cowboys fighting with anyone who didn't wear cowboy boots (not the guys who actually rode horses), or it was rich people hating on poor people, and a few like my ignorant uncle who hated anyone who didn't have pale skin, and guess who his favorite country music singer was, Charley Pride. :lol:  (he only listened to the radio)   So, I was pretty jaded by the time I left home to join the army.   I had heard those fake cowboys being called Honkeys all my life so when a black girl tried to bully me and called me a "honkey B***" because I talked back to her I told her "we are both wearing the same boots so if I'm a honkey so are you."   Needless to say I was finally labeled as crazy, instead of just weird.  

So, the other thing is, my mother experienced stuff as a child that made her angry so she made sure to let us know that she expected us to treat everyone as human first, and after that base it on their actions not what they looked like or who their family was.    Every country is "racist" to some extent or other.   

I agree that there are a lot of racists pretending to be against racism, it gets so twisted when you go on a rampage for someone you know nothing about concerning an issue you have never encountered.   It is attention seeking at the best and back stabbing at the worst.   Virtue signaling usually, and it is rampant because of social media, the "me me me me" of it is quite annoying.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ell said:

Noord-Holland.

Did you live in the U.S. in the 60's?

22 minutes ago, Ell said:

Noord-Holland is in The Netherlands. We listened to the news on the radio.

I know where Noord-Holland is,  I thought by your post that you had experienced racism in the U.S.  So you only base your opinion on what you hear on the radio.   Good to know.

Just now, Ell said:

It is good that you know what you know. It is less fortunate that you do not know what you do not know.

That's true for everyone, including you.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2022 at 8:24 AM, Ell said:

I have considered the USA a racist culture since my childhood in the early sixties. The most racist of them in my opinion are the pretend anti-racists.

That is a comparatively new problem in my experience.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

That is a comparatively new problem in my experience.

Anti-racists are characteristic of a racist culture: they are part of the problem.

On 12/17/2022 at 8:38 PM, Ell said:

Anti-racists are characteristic of a racist culture: they are part of the problem.

I'm sorry, I disagree.  China is a deeply racist country, but it has precious few anti-racists.  The same goes for India, Japan, and Saudi.  The USA is not the model for comparison...

In fact the USA is now a post-racist country by my estimation. 

This is not to suggest that there are no racists, but rather that the situation has gone full circle, and the anti-racists have blotted their copybooks to the point where racism seems the lesser of the two evils.  For example, in today's version of US politics the KKK is a moderate and family friendly organization that doesn't really hate anybody, allows members of multi-ethnic and multi-denominational backgrounds, and is really more of a support network for the dispossessed in rural America.  The Left should be looking after the dispossessed in rural USA, but instead they wage unrelenting class warfare against them because they are all racist r*dn*cks.  Identity politics is toxic.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 3

On 12/17/2022 at 5:38 PM, Ell said:

I sort of know what you mean. Anti-racists as you call them (alternatively - the woke) tend to see everything through the prism of race even when race isn't really a factor, a classic example being the recent news item about changing the name of monkey pox to M-pox because of it's racist connotations!!!  Who the hell made that dumb connection? a vehement anti-racist no doubt. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alchopwn said:

I'm sorry, I disagree.  China is a deeply racist country, but it has precious few anti-racists.  The same goes for India, Japan, and Saudi.  The USA is not the model for comparison...

In fact the USA is now a post-racist country by my estimation. 

This is not to suggest that there are no racists, but rather that the situation has gone full circle, and the anti-racists have blotted their copybooks to the point where racism seems the lesser of the two evils.  For example, in today's version of US politics the KKK is a moderate and family friendly organization that doesn't really hate anybody, allows members of multi-ethnic and multi-denominational backgrounds, and is really more of a support network for the dispossessed in rural America.  The Left should be looking after the dispossessed in rural USA, but instead they wage unrelenting class warfare against them because they are all racist r*dn*cks.  Identity politics is toxic.

I think you're being a bit harsh with the bolded sentence above. Racism is generally an individual trait, I don't think you can really tar a whole country with the same brush. Those and many other countries are... shall we say... less diverse than others for cultural, religious and geographic reasons. 

17 hours ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I think you're being a bit harsh with the bolded sentence above. Racism is generally an individual trait, I don't think you can really tar a whole country with the same brush. Those and many other countries are... shall we say... less diverse than others for cultural, religious and geographic reasons. 

I utterly stand by what I wrote.  I have seen African American friends subjected to appalling racism in all these countries.  Not the mild "whoops didn't mean to say that" kind of apologetic racism you get in the post-racist USA, either, but full-on aggressive "Are you even actually a human, here let me wash that black off you." kind of racism.  That is why the USA is post racist and Saudi, China, Japan, and India are racist countries imo.  There is no apologizing for the treatment these truly racist countries dish out.  White people are, for the most part, not racist anymore, and we need to stop allowing ourselves to be lied about in that fashion anymore.  Real racism is alive and well the countries I have mentioned, and Russia.  Sheesh Russians are racist.

Edited by Alchopwn
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

I utterly stand by what I wrote.  I have seen African American friends subjected to appalling racism in all these countries.  Not the mild "whoops didn't mean to say that" kind of apologetic racism you get in the post-racist USA, either, but full-on aggressive "Are you even actually a human, here let me wash that black off you." kind of racism.  That is why the USA is post racist and Saudi, China, Japan, and India are racist countries imo.  There is no apologizing for the treatment these truly racist countries dish out.  White people are, for the most part, not racist anymore, and we need to stop allowing ourselves to be lied about in that fashion anymore.  Real racism is alive and well the countries I have mentioned, and Russia.  Sheesh Russians are racist.

Racism is a natural human behaviour. We evolved to primarily safeguard the survival of our family units, and secondarily our own kind in our wider community.

This is why no country is able to prevent it. They can make racism illegal, but they cannot change the way the human mind works.

• Like 1