Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NYT demands England's Royal Family is dismantled

pellinore

The New York Times has been criticized over an opinion piece which accused the British Royal Family of racism and suggested Meghan Markle had to pay with 'her life' to marry into the institution.

Under the headline 'When Harry Met Meghan', contributing opinion writer Roxane Gay said Harry and Meghan were 'saving their lives' by leaving royal life and 'preserving what peace of mind they could salvage from the wreckage of the almost three years they spent trying to solicit support from the royal family'.

Gay suggests the privilege of the Sussexes 'could not shield them from racism which, ultimately, forced the wedge between them and the royal family'.

NYT opinion piece on Meghan demands 'racist' royal family is dismantled | Daily Mail Online

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 7

Hmmm I wonder if Roxanne Gay actually managed to give any evidence to support her claims of the dangers faced by the royal pair? Personally I doubt it. Its a shame that the source is the Daily Mail, a type of toilet paper with writing on it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like the opinion writer must have watched their Netflix documentary lol.

The harry and Megan stuff aside, having a royal family seems pretty archaic to me and if I was British I'd get rid of them.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

The harry and Megan stuff aside, having a royal family seems pretty archaic to me and if I was British I'd get rid of them.

Saves a lot of time.  At least people know who is in line to be the next symbolic buffoon.  They don't have to spend  effort electing someone to fill the role like we do.

• Thanks 3

These idiots seem to take themselves SERIOUSLY...seriously :lol:  I'm sure Charles is quaking in his boots...

• Like 1

I can't wait for the next generation of personal robots to come out.  I'm naming mine Charles!  

Charles, Charles...be a good little KingBot and go get me a cup of coffee please.  2 sugars and 3 creams...oh and Charles, please do that before you scrub the toilet!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

2 sugars and 3 creams...oh and Charles, please do that before you scrub the toilet!  

Better hope he likes you and has a good sense of timing.

• Haha 2

There was no racism. She's an actress.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

She is, and this row has certainly increased their earning power at least over the short term- she has had huge publicity. On the other hand, seeing bits of the documentary- there is NO WAY the English aristocratic establishment would have been able to accept black Gospellers into their ranks- no way!  They would have choked on their tea and cucumber sandwiches. Ned sums up their view- equal but different:

Edited by pellinore

1 hour ago, itsnotoutthere said:

She’s not even that good an actress… but there probably was ‘racism’, in so far as the entire Firm is ignorant of anything outside The Firm, and … well they’ve been white for a long time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

She’s not even that good an actress… but there probably was ‘racism’, in so far as the entire Firm is ignorant of anything outside The Firm, and … well they’ve been white for a long time.

:blink:

12 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

So have 99.9% of the British population up until the 1950s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Wasn’t Queen Charlotte black?

Have you been watching Netflix?

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It's not their Whiteness as much as it is their Churchness...Royal blood is holy.  The Crown becomes literally the embodiment of the Holy Spirit ... whatever that means...it's more church than skin tone.  But that as well.

Yes, the Royal family are racist.  Like everyone else in Britain ...... we consider Americans inferior :P

Seriously, if it wasn't for Meghan and Harry going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how everyone hates her cos she's "black" no-one would ever give a damn.   Maybe she should dye her hair blonde if she's that conscious about about it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Essan said:

Yes, the Royal family are racist.  Like everyone else in Britain ...... we consider Americans inferior :P

Seriously, if it wasn't for Meghan and Harry going on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about how everyone hates her cos she's "black" no-one would ever give a damn.   Maybe she should dye her hair blonde if she's that conscious about about it?

Edited by pellinore

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Wasn’t Queen Charlotte black?

Possibly.   Edward III's missus may also have been.   

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/mar/12/race-monarchy

But neither were whiny Americans off a reality TV show.   So we liked them.

• Like 4

Dozens of MPs have demanded The Sun newspaper take immediate action against Jeremy Clarkson after his comments about the Duchess of Sussex.

The Clarkson's Farm presenter faced a public backlash after writing in his column for the tabloid that the Duchess of Sussex ought to be paraded through the streets naked and have excrement thrown at her, adding: "Everyone who's my age thinks the same way."

A total of 65 MPs led by Caroline Nokes, the Tory chairman of the women and equalities select committee, have written an open letter to Victoria Newton, the editor of the Sun, in which they call for "definitive action".

The Sun must take action against Jeremy Clarkson for Duchess of Sussex comments, MPs demand (msn.com)

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 2

Being a life-long republican, I have never held a torch for the 'Windsors', or any royal family, but Harry is my hero. Respect to that man and his wife Meghan. The British royal family and the British media could not be more toxic or dysfunctional, yet they have thoroughly duped the British public. Their history is littered with shameful episodes which I hope it is unnecessary to list. As an outsider looking in, I see nothing but a soap-opera and an object of ridicule. There is nothing admirable there at all. I had quite a lot of respect for the late queen in her public role as a head of state, but even she left a lot to be desired in other quarters and many unanswered questions about her personally as a wife and mother. As for Charles III, the less said about him the better. I can't take him seriously at all. He's the epitome of entitlement and exhibits all the worst characteristics of someone of his privileged upbringing.

I might also add, regarding the issues covered by the six-hour Harry and Meghan documentary, that white Britain - that part that yearns to make Britain great again - seem to want their Commonwealth empire without the influx of immigrants from it. The same people thought that EU immigration was the problem when, in fact, the problem is coloured people from former British colonies and Brexit did not solve that. I think the documentary was correct to highlight the missed opportunity that Meghan represented for Britain to forge and consolidate its relationship with the Commonwealth going forward in the modern era. Partly as a result of the way Meghan was treated and also because of the modern move towards republicanism, Britain's role as head of an increasingly confident and independent group of former colonial countries is doomed. By failing to accommodate Meghan and their general treatment of her, the British monarchy, media and establishment have demonstrated their racist credentials and coloured people around the world have taken that lesson on board.  

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

if I was British I'd get rid of them

I must admit that the whole institution has no meaning for me. The whole thing just seems to be some form of soap opera.

2 hours ago, pellinore said:

Jeremy Clarkson after his comments about the Duchess of Sussex.

I did not know about this. Jeremy Clarkson is a creature I despise. I watched him once ranting against people who protect the environment."Here is a man who loves living in the city" I thought. Well I was wrong. He lives in a beautiful rural environmrnt. It seems to be ok to cover everything else in tarmac and concrete, just not his bit.

• Like 2

There are times perhaps that the Royals have there uses. I was taught at school that when the first Labour government took over they set about making various reforms. The house of Lords was all 'old school' and rejected every one. The Labour Prime Minister went to see King George V. The King asked for a list of senior people in the Labour movement and made them all Lords. Democracy was restored. Kind of a neat move I think.

• Like 1

The people who dislike the Royal Family the most are "them".  "The Powers That Be".  The "Elite".   People obsessed with money and power.   Because it's the one position of (perceived) power and global respect that the likes of Musk, Trump, the Rothchilds, Gates, etal cannot ever buy.

That IMO is the best reason of all to keep them :D 

• Like 4