Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Don't say 'pub crawl' or 'happy hour' this Christmas - it's not inclusive

pellinore

Apparently it may upset 'differently-abled' people who can't crawl and people who are unhappy:

Drinkers should avoid saying “pub crawl” and “happy hour” to be more inclusive, the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), has said as they try to end “lad culture”.

Members should instead say they are embarking on a “pub tour” where they will “savour a pint”.

Other phrases such as “join the lads for a swift few after work” have also come under fire as they risk putting off women from joining in.

It marks a fresh attempt by CAMRA to shed its image as a boys only club and instead “welcoming to all”, The Sun reported

Don't say 'pub crawl' or 'happy hour' this Christmas - it's not inclusive (msn.com)

Edited by pellinore
  • Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Is CAMRA a brand of beer?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Is CAMRA a brand of beer?

CAMpaign for Real Ale- they are actually quite good at promoting small local breweries who brew traditionally as opposed to large mass produced beer companies.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pellinore said:

CAMpaign for Real Ale- they are actually quite good at promoting small local breweries who brew traditionally as opposed to large mass produced beer companies.

Oh ok.  It is still funny.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, godnodog said:

well this thread offended me

It confused me. When I was a regular pub goer, I didn't recall anyone saying "I think I shall partake of a fine pint this evening", or "I rather think this lager has a fine bouquet, it would pair nicely with a kebab later on". It was more like "This lager is ****, I'll be glad when I've had enough" and "A few more and she'll start to look alright".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, pellinore said:

“happy hour”

"Attitude adjustment" hour.

(Although there is something strange, IMO, about accommodating unhappy people who are offended that other people might be having a good time.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, eight bits said:

"Attitude adjustment" hour.

(Although there is something strange, IMO, about accommodating unhappy people who are offended that other people might be having a good time.)

I don't see how anyone could take that whole ad campaign seriously.   It must be a joke.

I know language is important and shapes thought, but it might be better to confront the obvious insults and cruelties first, and leave the musty old euphemisms to age out on their own.   The lads and I have had some bloody good rows over this.   What I mean to say is that my esteemed associates and I have devoted some exhaustive and enlightening discussions to this topic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I know language is important and shapes thought, but it might be better to confront the obvious insults and cruelties first, and leave the musty old euphemisms to age out on their own.   The lads and I have had some bloody good rows over this.   What I mean to say is that my esteemed associates and I have devoted some exhaustive and enlightening discussions to this topic.

I agree. And they will disappear, like the 'Black and White Minstrel Show', sitcoms mocking overweight people and black people like 'On the Buses', and careless insults about race generally. And CAMRA have a practical economic interest - as traditional men-only bars decline, pubs that serve families and discourage drunkenness and laddish behaviour will maybe survive.

Which reminds me of a joke- a steak and a salad walked into a bar. The barman said "Sorry, we don't serve food here, only snacks."

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I don't see how anyone could take that whole ad campaign seriously.   It must be a joke.

I wondered the same thing about the Stanford list the other day, still being unable to work out who takes offense at the phrase Phillipine Islands.

(Phew! The offensive words made it through the UM language filters :) )

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

And there was I - a 'lad' - not having been offended by being invited to join a pub 'crawl'?

What did my mates think I was? An insect!!

Admittedly, though, there were some pub crawls where we did end up crawling on all fours into the last establishment to benefit from our custom. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

And there was I - a 'lad' - not having been offended by being invited to join a pub 'crawl'?

What did my mates think I was? An insect!!

Admittedly, though, there were some pub crawls where we did end up crawling on all fours into the last establishment to benefit from our custom. 

I can remember us giving up on a pub crawl after the first pub, no one wanted to give up valuable drinking time walking to a new watering hole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Members should instead say they are embarking on a “pub tour” where they will “savour a pint”.

I don't like the word "tour", it implies I don't already know something. And that triggers my anger and is not inclusive.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, eight bits said:

I wondered the same thing about the Stanford list the other day, still being unable to work out who takes offense at the phrase Phillipine Islands.

(Phew! The offensive words made it through the UM language filters :) )

I still am having trouble realizing "Anglo Saxon" to be bad words. Supposedly they mean "racist" now.

Likewise... "Anglo" and "Saxon" made it through the filter. :geek:

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 2

Do they know that to the British the word lad can refer to a person of either sex? since the feminine form for the word is Lass?, Pub crawl just means a person who visits multiple pubs. I don't get the uproar.  

• Like 2

I would have believed this was satire if someone told me.

This is the dumbest political correctness with language I have seen in a while. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 6

From time to time "pub crawls" have hit clubs ive worked at many times by the nights end some of those folks are crawling, staggering etc.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

This is the dumbest most remarkable political correctness with language I have seen in a while. 

Your unconscious ableism was showing. I fixed that for you ... well, not only for you personally, but for the greater good on behalf of which I shoulder the thankless burden of continual vigilance.

• Haha 4

And telling someone to “feck off” is offensive to asexual people, I’m sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, eight bits said:

Eureka. Google really is my friend. (Starting with correcting my spelling - so that's how it made it through the language filters.)

Philippine Islands was the official name of the place before it gained independence from the United States after WW II. Thus, the term perpetuates the legacy of colonialism ...

No, wait. The current official name of the place is The Republic of the Philippines. Philippines for Felipe, one-time King of Spain, which country subsequently colonized the um, islands so named by one of Felipe's subjects.

Why is the accurate geographic description of the place offensive, but its political name is peachy? (And what of the British Isles? The Republic of Ireland subtends a substantial chunk of them, how is that not offensive? Oh, wait, maybe only American (musn't forget that perpetual virgin Canada is also in the New World) only United States colonialism "counts." WTF? We were once British colonies - British counts, too, damn it!)

OK. So it's not much of an explanation. However, the complaint is attested from an academic source (U. of Hawaii - Hawaiian Islands? Anybody?) in 2016, thus well before the recent Stanford list.

https://www.hawaii.edu/cps/pi-is-politically-incorrect/

Conclude: the Stanford list isn't a hoax. That's a relief. Whether the beer campaign is or isn't, beats me.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Eureka. Google really is my friend. (Starting with correcting my spelling - so that's how it made it through the language filters.)

Philippine Islands was the official name of the place before it gained independence from the United States after WW II. Thus, the term perpetuates the legacy of colonialism ...

No, wait. The current official name of the place is The Republic of the Philippines. Philippines for Felipe, one-time King of Spain, which country subsequently colonized the um, islands so named by one of Felipe's subjects.

Why is the accurate geographic description of the place offensive, but its political name is peachy? (And what of the British Isles? The Republic of Ireland subtends a substantial chunk of them, how is that not offensive? Oh, wait, maybe only American (musn't forget that perpetual virgin Canada is also in the New World) only United States colonialism "counts." WTF? We were once British colonies - British counts, too, damn it!)

OK. So it's not much of an explanation. However, the complaint is attested from an academic source (U. of Hawaii - Hawaiian Islands? Anybody?) in 2016, thus well before the recent Stanford list.

https://www.hawaii.edu/cps/pi-is-politically-incorrect/

Conclude: the Stanford list isn't a hoax. That's a relief. Whether the beer campaign is or isn't, beats me.

Happy Holidays my friend, it appears your already enjoying the Christmas Cheer.

I sincerely hope the coming year is the best you have experienced yet!:tu:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, pellinore said:

Apparently it may upset 'differently-abled' people who can't crawl 

Tip them out of their wheelchairs.  They'll crawl all right.  We can race 'em. See I played the race card.:lol:

people who are unhappy:

**** 'em if they can't take a joke.:lol:

the Campaign for Real Ale (CAMRA), has said as they try to end “lad culture”.

What starts in a pub may well end in a hospital CAMRA.  You can't tell other people how to live. You can't legislate morality.

What about people who hate tourists?  What about people who have no working taste-buds and can't savour ?:lol:

Other phrases such as “join the lads for a swift few after work” have also come under fire as they risk putting off women from joining in.

Has it never occurred to women that perhaps they aren't welcome?  Putting up with them at work is quite enough, thanks.  They're just going to get into a drunken clawing fight with other women and that just encourages men into the vice of gambling on who will win.:lol:

IN any case, what are women doing out drinking when they're supposed to all be petrified of being within 20' of an adult male because all men are rapists according to the Feminists.  Go drink somewhere else wenches.

It marks a fresh attempt by CAMRA to shed its image as a boys only club and instead “welcoming to all”, The Sun reported

Welcoming to all except the actual patrons apparently :lol:  Go woke go broke.

16 hours ago, DieChecker said:

I still am having trouble realizing "Anglo Saxon" to be bad words. Supposedly they mean "racist" now.

Likewise... "Anglo" and "Saxon" made it through the filter. :geek:

Weird.  I remember feeling abused when the "race" choices included "anglo saxon" when a lot of us "white folks" were not from Saxony or what ever anglo means.   At the time I was just as ignorant as the people making those stupid lists.   But for years I have chosen "Other" in the category if I have to fill it out and if there is a box to describe other I put "Human".    If we all did that it would become obsolete to categorize people that way for any reason.  And eventually it would not even be a thing.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Weird.  I remember feeling abused when the "race" choices included "anglo saxon" when a lot of us "white folks" were not from Saxony or what ever anglo means.

The Angles, Saxons, Frisians and Jutes invaded/settled in England ("Anglo Land") many ages ago. I often use 'Angry Saxons' as an alternative name for the Anglo Saxons.

There was also a tribe called "Angrivares". The 'angri' part is etymologically related to 'anglo' or 'angli'. Hence Angri/y Saxons.

Btw., a way to p@@ off a Canadian is calling him/her an American. And that's because the USAns kind of hijacked the term 'American'.

Another btw.: a way to p@@ off a Frisian guy/girl would be by calling him/her a 'Hollander'. Holland is only part of The Netherlands, the part the Frisians were at war with for a very long time.

And me using 'him/her' or 'guy/girl' is also becoming offensive for some of the lgbtq community.

We're evolving: within a century our toes will have grown several inches... < sigh >

• Like 2