Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Four people dead after two helicopters collide near Sea World on Gold Coast

Still Waters

Four people have died and three are in a critical condition after two helicopters collided near Sea World on the Gold Coast.

More than a dozen people were assessed by the Queensland ambulance service after the helicopters came into contact on Monday afternoon. Police later confirmed four people were killed and three critically injured when the helicopter they were travelling in crashed to the ground, landing upside down.

The other helicopter managed to land near the Sea World theme park after the collision which occurred about 2pm local time (3pm AEDT). Passengers in that helicopter sustained minor injuries from glass shrapnel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/02/two-helicopters-collide-gold-coast-queensland-broadwater

• Sad 5

17 hours ago, Still Waters said:

Four people have died and three are in a critical condition after two helicopters collided near Sea World on the Gold Coast.

More than a dozen people were assessed by the Queensland ambulance service after the helicopters came into contact on Monday afternoon. Police later confirmed four people were killed and three critically injured when the helicopter they were travelling in crashed to the ground, landing upside down.

The other helicopter managed to land near the Sea World theme park after the collision which occurred about 2pm local time (3pm AEDT). Passengers in that helicopter sustained minor injuries from glass shrapnel.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/jan/02/two-helicopters-collide-gold-coast-queensland-broadwater

Absolute tragedy. The Gold Coast is littered with theme parks with no rules regarding safety and regulation for equipment or procedures. This is just one of many that have caused fatalities due to mechanical failure 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Absolute tragedy. The Gold Coast is littered with theme parks with no rules regarding safety and regulation for equipment or procedures. This is just one of many that have caused fatalities due to mechanical failure 

Nothing of the sort can be said at the moment.

Seaworld are a licensed operator.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2023/report/ao-2023-001

I heard that the collision occurred while one aircraft was taking off and another landing.  

• Like 1

Australia helicopter collision: Passenger tapped pilot before crash, footage shows

A survivor of a deadly helicopter collision in Australia had tried to warn a pilot of impending danger, a video appears to show.

In the footage, a passenger in the backseat of the aircraft is seen tapping the pilot's shoulder.

Pilot Michael James turns his head in response, while the passenger then grips his seat.

The helicopter and another collided a moment later, killing a UK couple and two Australians on the other aircraft.

The footage - obtained by Australia's 7 News - was filmed on board a Sea World sightseeing helicopter that was descending on the Gold Coast on Monday afternoon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-64171191

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 6:36 PM, Golden Duck said:

Nothing of the sort can be said at the moment.

Seaworld are a licensed operator.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2023/report/ao-2023-001

I heard that the collision occurred while one aircraft was taking off and another landing.  

Tell me ... Buses, trains and taxis have to be mechanically inspected by a tmr approved mechanic at least 1-2 times a year. Who inspects these rides?

43 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Tell me ... Buses, trains and taxis have to be mechanically inspected by a tmr approved mechanic at least 1-2 times a year. Who inspects these rides?

Trained tradesmen and operator's. They open parks early and do test runs every day and often during a shift change. There is also a national standard that has to be met before a ride can be commissioned. Every ten years rides have to be shutdown and inspected (including x-rays of and joins) by an official REPQ engineer and reports submitted. 

If you pull up outside of movie world like 8 in the morning you will see the roller coasters going around empty. 

We've got Sea World, Movie World, Dreamworld and wet and wild on the gold coast. The coast isn't littered with theme parks. And they are all north of the populated areas. They have actually been pretty diligent after the dreamworld accident. There's a lot of heat in them lately.

Also pays to note that this tragedy was a helicopter accident. Official causes haven't been released but it looks like pilot error. Not faulty equipment, or even within the actual boundary of the park. One chopper was landing, the other taking off. They collided.

2 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

You know it's not a ride, don't you?

The link I gave you shows Seaworld is an operator.

https://www.casa.gov.au/search-centre/supporting-resource/aircraft-inspections-proposed-part-43#

7 hours ago, psyche101 said:

Trained tradesmen and operator's. They open parks early and do test runs every day and often during a shift change. There is also a national standard that has to be met before a ride can be commissioned. Every ten years rides have to be shutdown and inspected (including x-rays of and joins) by an official REPQ engineer and reports submitted. 

If you pull up outside of movie world like 8 in the morning you will see the roller coasters going around empty. 

We've got Sea World, Movie World, Dreamworld and wet and wild on the gold coast. The coast isn't littered with theme parks. And they are all north of the populated areas. They have actually been pretty diligent after the dreamworld accident. There's a lot of heat in them lately.

Also pays to note that this tragedy was a helicopter accident. Official causes haven't been released but it looks like pilot error. Not faulty equipment, or even within the actual boundary of the park. One chopper was landing, the other taking off. They collided.

Again I reinforce, self regulation is not the same as meeting exact government safeguards. I was at Movie world with my 12 year old boy at the time saw the carriage of the green lateen ride broke free from its rail and hang precariously by a single strut. All the people on the ride were teenagers. Luckily no one died. Trucks and all public transportation in Queensland have to carry log book but not rides. Same with the EKKA. We give over our kids and love ones to a bunch of toothless carneys to go on rides that sit openly in the elements for 9 months of the year. These are my observations 

6 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

You know it's not a ride, don't you?

The link I gave you shows Seaworld is an operator.

https://www.casa.gov.au/search-centre/supporting-resource/aircraft-inspections-proposed-part-43#

Makes no difference. It’s a theme park and the helicopters are part of it. Does tmr inspect the rides?

22 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Makes no difference. It’s a theme park and the helicopters are part of it. Does tmr inspect the rides?

Transport and Main Roads? Why would they?

You were just told who inspects the rides.  And it is covered WHS Regulations.

None of that is relevant in this case.  Seaworld is Regustered Operator under CASA.  So, as you were shown already, it's subject a completely different set of legislation. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

Transport and Main Roads? Why would they?

You were just told who inspects the rides.  And it is covered WHS Regulations.

None of that is relevant in this case.  Seaworld is Regustered Operator under CASA.  So, as you were shown already, it's subject a completely different set of legislation. 

Then CASA messed up

• Confused 1

Just now, Golden Duck said:

How?

Read the article the original poster posted 

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Read the article the original poster posted 

OK, what part of "the ATSB will release a preliminary report in six to eight weeks" implies "CASA messed up"?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

Again I reinforce, self regulation is not the same as meeting exact government safeguards.

Yes it is, it's part of the standard. AS 3533.  Regulation is how you maintain ISO compliance. 

I was at Movie world with my 12 year old boy at the time saw the carriage of the green lateen ride broke free from its rail and hang precariously by a single strut. All the people on the ride were teenagers. Luckily no one died.

One wheel broke. Let's put some perspective on it.

The inspectors said it was the first time the had seen that type of failure. 

Trucks and all public transportation in Queensland have to carry log book but not rides.

Yes, they have signed logbooks. And planned maintenance schedules. 

Same with the EKKA. We give over our kids and love ones to a bunch of toothless carneys to go on rides that sit openly in the elements for 9 months of the year. These are my observations 

You're observations are short.

Those rides travel the entire country when not at the EKKA. Where do you think all the rides for the royal Easter show in Sydney and all the other EKKA like celebrations? 

They also are under a different Australian Standard to permanent theme parks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psyche101 said:

Yes it is, it's part of the standard. AS 3533.  Regulation is how you maintain ISO compliance. 

No it’s not. As an example: Opal Towers in Sydney. Building regulations were deregulated and all hell broke loose. The same in transport.

One wheel broke. Let's put some perspective on it.

Agh, don’t think so because we saw the whole thing unfold. We were walking from the car park to the entrance when we saw a block of some sorts on one of the railings. The cart hit the block and 3 of the 4 wheels broke off leaving the cart almost upside down. That’s when my boy commented ‘hope the little girl with the piggy tails doesn’t die’. 

The inspectors said it was the first time the had seen that type of failure. 

yeah first time and then they dismantled the ride.

. Yes, they have signed logbooks. And planned maintenance schedules. 

Lol, I know a little bit more than you do about log books and maintenance schedules 

You're observations are short.

I’ve had season passes for every theme park for about 15 years. 

Those rides travel the entire country when not at the EKKA. Where do you think all the rides for the royal Easter show in Sydney and all the other EKKA like celebrations? 

No they don’t. Moving those rides is a major headache and they’re very lucrative. The wind for the south east corner are mostly found in Willawong and Palara areas. Take a drive

They also are under a different Australian Standard to permanent theme parks. 

They should be all under 1 standard if you ask me. And I wouldn’t allow they to sit outside in the elements, only tested and prepped before a show. They should be subjected to on the spot inspections beforehand by a seperate contractor or government department. Have kids and we can talk again

1 hour ago, Unusual Tournament said:

No it’s not. As an example: Opal Towers in Sydney. Building regulations were deregulated and all hell broke loose. The same in transport.

No they weren't, design regulations weren't adhered to.

That's why it cost the builder (Icon) $42 million in repairs and relocations. Went to court they were in breach. 

https://www.supremecourt.justice.nsw.gov.au/Pages/sco2_classaction/Opal-Towers-Class-Action.aspx

Agh, don’t think so because we saw the whole thing unfold. We were walking from the car park to the entrance when we saw a block of some sorts on one of the railings. The cart hit the block and 3 of the 4 wheels broke off leaving the cart almost upside down. That’s when my boy commented ‘hope the little girl with the piggy tails doesn’t die’. 

No, one wheel was damaged. A bolted joint gave way. It was unpredictable. The car tilted approximately 30 degrees.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/bolt-joint-failed-on-movie-worlds-green-lantern-ride-inspectors-20151030-gkmuhb.html

Photo of people stuck

4b428faaca1070d77fcefee9b13f6a529d932d0e

No, they pulled the carts and and refitted them with a newly designed wheel assembly. As it wasn't safe to operate untill the design flaw had been addressed. 

Lol, I know a little bit more than you do about log books and maintenance schedules 

I bet you don't. 

I actually was an electrician on the original build and most rides since. I personally oversaw the Wild Wild West coaster installation which was originally to be called Rio Bravo. 

I've just stopped with the passes ad my youngest hit 18 end of last year. It makes you a visitor, not an engineer.

No they don’t. Moving those rides is a major headache and they’re very lucrative. The wind for the south east corner are mostly found in Willawong and Palara areas. Take a drive

Where exactly? I am visiting Sherbrook road for a site inspection on a proposed group of factories. Is it near that? 

Are you accounting for missed events due to Covid?

They should be all under 1 standard if you ask me.

Why? They are completely different situations. Travelling shows aren't anything like a permanent theme park. Temporary power setups, amenities, installation, everything is different. 

And I wouldn’t allow they to sit outside in the elements, only tested and prepped before a show. They should be subjected to on the spot inspections beforehand by a seperate contractor or government department.

Like maintaining ISO compliance?

What do you propose for the roller coasters? Very large pull over covers? 

Have kids and we can talk again

Mine are now grown up. Before then I had four step kids. Not to mention I know the world's better than most.

1 minute ago, Unusual Tournament said:

@psyche101one wheel was attached to the railing not three 

have a nice day 

From the above link citing the damage report:

"A bolted joint broke, causing one of the wheel assemblies to fall away from the car to the ground," a workplace investigator revealed in a statement this morning."

Mr Chan said the fact that all other cars on the ride stopped as soon as the under-carriage bolt failed - and did not ram into the stalled cars - showed the ride was safe.

"This ride has some very sophisticated safety features that - in that instance - prevented further failures," he said.

4 hours ago, Unusual Tournament said:

They should be all under 1 standard if you ask me. And I wouldn’t allow they to sit outside in the elements, only tested and prepped before a show. They should be subjected to on the spot inspections beforehand by a seperate contractor or government department. Have kids and we can talk again

You were told about the RPEQ in a previous post.  You were also told Theme Parks fall under WHS Regulations.  But, you just want to argue about trucks.

Major amusement parks

A major amusement park is a workplace which has at least four amusement devices including at least one class 3, class 4 or class 5 amusement device under AS 3533.1, or a high structure water slide at least 10m in height.

If all the rides at a workplace are for a temporary event like an agricultural show or school fete, it is not a major amusement park.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/laws-and-compliance/work-health-and-safety-laws/amusement-device-regulation#:~:text=A competent person for carrying,inspect this type of plant.

Trucks aren't Theme Parks.  And not all theme parks a CASA Registered Operators.

You seem to be calling for state aviation authorities. I doubt anyone would agree that is a sensible structure. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

You were told about the RPEQ in a previous post.  You were also told Theme Parks fall under WHS Regulations.  But, you just want to argue about trucks.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/laws-and-compliance/work-health-and-safety-laws/amusement-device-regulation#:~:text=A competent person for carrying,inspect this type of plant.

Trucks aren't Theme Parks.  And not all theme parks a CASA Registered Operators.

You seem to be calling for state aviation authorities. I doubt anyone would agree that is a sensible structure. 

You know I was prepared to let this go. The government has clamped down on all the illegal activities the last year. But I think you deserve this. 

The new world class regulatory framework improves the safety standard for amusement rides and theme parks in Queensland. As well as the annual audits of major amusement parks, 33 additional inspectors have been employed, including three engineers, to oversee new safety requirements. The inspectors receive specific training on amusement device safety on top of the comprehensive training they already do.

Ms Grace praised the industry for its level of compliance with the new safety laws and pledged to work with ride operators as well as other state safety regulators on consistent requirements and to address issues affecting the industry. Rising insurance costs, a shortage of qualified engineers, COVID-19, and exorbitant fuel costs have hit the industry hard.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/news-and-events/newsletters/esafe-newsletters/esafe-editions/esafe/june-2022/queenslands-world-class-amusement-ride-industry-going-from-strength-to-strength

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

From the above link citing the damage report:

"A bolted joint broke, causing one of the wheel assemblies to fall away from the car to the ground," a workplace investigator revealed in a statement this morning."

Mr Chan said the fact that all other cars on the ride stopped as soon as the under-carriage bolt failed - and did not ram into the stalled cars - showed the ride was safe.

"This ride has some very sophisticated safety features that - in that instance - prevented further failures," he said.

Law expert from the University of South Australia, Emeritus Professor Rick Sarre told NCA Newswire the incident would likely be treated the same as the Dream World accident in 2016 when four people died on an amusement park ride.

In 2020, Dream World was deemed responsible for the incident after a court found a faulty part of the ride caused the deaths of Cindy Low, Kate Goodchild, her brother Luke Dorsett, and his partner Roozi Araghi.

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/victims-of-seaworld-helicopter-crash-eligible-for-compensation-through-legal-action/news-story/834b208326c9a21fe108ed90a4c28595?amp

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

No they weren't, design regulations weren't adhered to.

That's why it cost the builder (Icon) $42 million in repairs and relocations. Went to court they were in breach. 

https://www.supremecourt.justice.nsw.gov.au/Pages/sco2_classaction/Opal-Towers-Class-Action.aspx

No, one wheel was damaged. A bolted joint gave way. It was unpredictable. The car tilted approximately 30 degrees.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/queensland/bolt-joint-failed-on-movie-worlds-green-lantern-ride-inspectors-20151030-gkmuhb.html

Photo of people stuck

4b428faaca1070d77fcefee9b13f6a529d932d0e

No, they pulled the carts and and refitted them with a newly designed wheel assembly. As it wasn't safe to operate untill the design flaw had been addressed. 

I bet you don't. 

I actually was an electrician on the original build and most rides since. I personally oversaw the Wild Wild West coaster installation which was originally to be called Rio Bravo. 

I've just stopped with the passes ad my youngest hit 18 end of last year. It makes you a visitor, not an engineer.

Where exactly? I am visiting Sherbrook road for a site inspection on a proposed group of factories. Is it near that? 

Are you accounting for missed events due to Covid?

Why? They are completely different situations. Travelling shows aren't anything like a permanent theme park. Temporary power setups, amenities, installation, everything is different. 

Like maintaining ISO compliance?

What do you propose for the roller coasters? Very large pull over covers? 

Mine are now grown up. Before then I had four step kids. Not to mention I know the world's better than most.

Ms Grace said the proposed regulatory changes centred around four key areas, them being:

• Mandatory requirements for ride operators to be fully-trained and competent;
  • Mandatory major inspections of all amusement and theme park rides;
  • Major theme parks to develop and implement a comprehensive and integrated safety management system; and
  • Additional record keeping through detailed log books.

“Mandatory training and competency requirements will mean every amusement and theme park ride in Queensland will be operated by a person who has been properly trained and assessed as competent,” Ms Grace said.

“This means amusement rides at our big theme parks right down to a local show or fairs will be subject to major and comprehensive inspections every ten years, unless otherwise specified by the manufacturer.”

Ms Grace said these inspections may involve completely stripping down a ride to ensure its integrity, including the removal of paint and grease.

“These mandatory checks will be on top of our existing inspection and testing regime, which includes annual inspections and regular maintenance inspections,” she said.

https://www.mygc.com.au/queensland-announces-major-changes-to-theme-park-safety-following-dreamworld-disaster/

AN ENGINEERING consultant who declared the Thunder River Rapids mechanically and structurally sound weeks before four people were killed has told the Dreamworld inquest he was “surprised and disappointed” when he found the ride’s maintenance logbooks were blank.

External consulting engineer Thomas Polley was contacted by Dreamworld’s engineering general manager Chris Deaves on August 25, 2016 with a query about annual inspections for a number of their rides. 

Queensland Workplace Health and Safety legislation requires theme parks to have their rides inspected by a third party engineer ever year to maintain registration.

https://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/courts-law/dreamworld-engineer-tells-families-i-apologise-for-not-being-to-make-eye-contact-with-you/news-story/40545dc747c95eb96b0293c888d77d96?amp

14 minutes ago, Unusual Tournament said:

You know I was prepared to let this go. The government has clamped down on all the illegal activities the last year. But I think you deserve this. 

The new world class regulatory framework improves the safety standard for amusement rides and theme parks in Queensland. As well as the annual audits of major amusement parks, 33 additional inspectors have been employed, including three engineers, to oversee new safety requirements. The inspectors receive specific training on amusement device safety on top of the comprehensive training they already do.

Ms Grace praised the industry for its level of compliance with the new safety laws and pledged to work with ride operators as well as other state safety regulators on consistent requirements and to address issues affecting the industry. Rising insurance costs, a shortage of qualified engineers, COVID-19, and exorbitant fuel costs have hit the industry hard.

https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/news-and-events/newsletters/esafe-newsletters/esafe-editions/esafe/june-2022/queenslands-world-class-amusement-ride-industry-going-from-strength-to-strength

What point do you think you made there?

An amusement device is not an aircraft.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1