Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted History

Jake_the_Muss

The episode of "Haunted History" on the History Channel Saturday night was about the ghosts of Edinburgh, Scotland. I have seen the show before and I have that particular episode taped. It's probably my favorite in the series.

Anyway, one of the scariest segments was about the ghosts of a place called Mary King's Close, an old street that was built over. Some of the old building are now the basements for newer ones on top of them. A bunch of people died of the plague there and the city walled them up so the disease wouldn't spread.

I was wondering if anyone out there has been to this place? Perhaps some of the UK folks? I'd love to go there some time.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ScaryD

• Jake_the_Muss

• PurpleStuart

• Mystify

Haven't yet had the chance of going to the Uk.... Too bad... many haunted places to see there....

As for the show, the travel channel ( which I don't get) is having some pretty good episodes on ghosts this week. It looked very intresting...

Although I've never been down to Edinburgh, there has been a lot of news recently regarding experiments being undertaken in the Edinburgh Castle dungeon, which is alleged to be one of the most haunted places in the world. Volunteers were sent down and monitored, to record their reactions to any ghostly goings on.

One woman was asked to sit in a chair in the main dungeon area, and was filmed for an hour to see if anything would happen. She claimed that she kept feeling a presence in the room, and cold spots were recorded in several parts of the chamber.The woman eventually had to be let out of the room early as the activity increased to an exponential level. I can't remember all the details, but the experiments were meant to prove once and for all that ghosts existed, and I think they really did.

If I can find a site with information about the experiment I'll post it on the forum.

I was able to catch an episode of haunted places on the Travel Channel (thanks to Mystify's previous post).  One of them was a haunted plantation in Louisiana.  Another was a place in New England, where gangsters used to hang out, that has been turned into an inn. Both have had a lot of sightings.

NORA

• 2 months later...

I live in Edinburgh, and Mary Kings Close is very well known.  Although it was closed off  for a  long time, they've now re-opened it for guided tours around it and other famous haunted sites in and under the city.  [Of which there are plenty!]

For more information, have a look on these websites:

http://www.efr.hw.ac.uk/MaryKing/welcome.html

http://www.mercattours.com/

:o

It's absolutely beautiful Jake, even in the rain and cold!  The City is steeped in history and the skyline obviously dominated by Edinburgh Castle itself.  WOW!

:o ;D

If ever i grew tired of living in London, Edinburgh would be my next choice.

I used to live in Kilmarnock and we used to visit Edinburgh on weekend away it's a really beautiful place.

I've mentioned it b4 in another forum, but the really wierd thing about Edinburgh is walking down Princes St(?) - normal high street shops one side, bloody great big castle on cliff on the other!!

I know, it's great intit?!  you can sit in the top-floor Debenhams 'restaurant' on a Saturday afternoon and look through its glass wall directly at the Castle.  It just fills the window.  We are so lucky.

;D