Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Six-year-old intentionally shot teacher in Virginia school, police say

Still Waters

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The airports are using more than metal detectors.  School districts cannot just invest huge amounts of money in metal detectors and police or what ever else, and elementary students are under the age of 12, usually not going to bring a gun or knife to school.   I do know that some kids do seem to like knives at a young age and parents need to be responsible for making sure a kid doesn't bring one to school, and yes I know most parents don't have a clue what is in their kid's backpack.  

Most middle schools and high schools already have metal detectors and at least in the city I live in all high schools have at least on cop on campus all day, and they have cops that patrol all the schools at night.   Those cops are not city cops, they are hired by the school district and are only allowed to arrest vandals.  If they find a kid with a weapon they have to call the city police.   (I suspect most of those school cops are like my cousin, washed up cops that have been fired from the real police force, they have training, and that saves the school district money).

Yeah it's true the airports are using more high tec equipment like X-ray machines and have more man power,  but keep in mind that even simple walk through metal detectors and handful of security personal using metal detector wands do help from my personal experience working as a security officer; not to mention it's very intimidating to most people up to no good that want try to pass through with something.

Years ago when I got out of the military, I immediately went to work for a well known large commercial security company based out of Memphis, Tennessee. During my 10 and half years working for them, I worked at a lot of manufacture facilities and warehouses that my security firm had as clients. And at those facilities and warehouses, very rarely did anybody get through the security checkpoints with a knife or gun. Employees would walked through the walk through metal detectors and when that thing went off, we waved our wands all over a employee's body to double check and usually caught them with a blade in their pocket most of the time. Other times it was nothing or they had a metal part surgically places in their body. Now you can argue all you want that we shouldn't use them, but from my experience it's better than nothing a majority of the time as a deterent and they do help, no matter what you say, Desertrat. It's a fact.

13 hours ago, Gunn said:

Yeah it's true the airports are using more high tec equipment like X-ray machines and have more man power,  but keep in mind that even simple walk through metal detectors and handful of security personal using metal detector wands do help from my personal experience working as a security officer; not to mention it's very intimidating to most people up to no good that want try to pass through with something.

Years ago when I got out of the military, I immediately went to work for a well known large commercial security company based out of Memphis, Tennessee. During my 10 and half years working for them, I worked at a lot of manufacture facilities and warehouses that my security firm had as clients. And at those facilities and warehouses, very rarely did anybody get through the security checkpoints with a knife or gun. Employees would walked through the walk through metal detectors and when that thing went off, we waved our wands all over a employee's body to double check and usually caught them with a blade in their pocket most of the time. Other times it was nothing or they had a metal part surgically places in their body. Now you can argue all you want that we shouldn't use them, but from my experience it's better than nothing a majority of the time as a deterent and they do help, no matter what you say, Desertrat. It's a fact.

I still think a technological approach for elementary schools is wrong.    My grandson forgot he had his folding knife in his pocket when he was in middle school and the search at the door found it and he was sent to the principal's office and my daughter was called.    The thing is, no one thinks about that for elementary schools.   High schools around here do have metal detectors and cops, that  makes sense but not elementary school.  You are talking about 5 to 11 year olds;  middle school is 11 - 14 (the age most likely to act stupid).   If someone is messed up enough at 15 - 18 to bring a weapon they need to be treated like an adult (but anyone under 18 still needs their parents involved in the prosecution).

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

A staff member at the Virginia school where a six-year-old boy allegedly shot his teacher last week had been alerted before the shooting that the child might have a weapon, an official said.

The boy's bag was searched, but no weapon was found, Richneck Elementary school superintendent George Parker told parents.

"At least one administrator was notified of a possible weapon," Mr Parker said during an online meeting with parents on Thursday, according to a clip shared by local news outlet WAVY-TV. "(The staff member) was aware that that student had, there was a potential that there was a weapon on campus."

The school superintendent did not clarify whether the boy hid the weapon or why authorities did not find it in his backpack.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64252261

• Like 3

On 1/14/2023 at 10:47 AM, Still Waters said:

A staff member at the Virginia school where a six-year-old boy allegedly shot his teacher last week had been alerted before the shooting that the child might have a weapon, an official said.

The boy's bag was searched, but no weapon was found, Richneck Elementary school superintendent George Parker told parents.

"At least one administrator was notified of a possible weapon," Mr Parker said during an online meeting with parents on Thursday, according to a clip shared by local news outlet WAVY-TV. "(The staff member) was aware that that student had, there was a potential that there was a weapon on campus."

The school superintendent did not clarify whether the boy hid the weapon or why authorities did not find it in his backpack.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64252261

I cant believe i will say this that teacher should sue.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 6:20 AM, Gunn said:

Good points man, good points. But my point about the metal detector still stands. Why? Because guns or no guns, you got kids that wanna bring blades to school and cut/stab someone in fights because they think they can do so.

Im good with detectors we use them at the club the wand type my wife thinks it gives a stigma of the bouncers are too zealous and i just remind her about the pulse club shooting, a school could use walk through detectors.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/16/2023 at 8:33 AM, the13bats said:

I cant believe i will say this that teacher should sue.

A six-year-old child who shot a teacher at a Virginia school allegedly once choked another teacher "until she couldn't breathe", according to a legal notice filed by the injured teacher.

The child's alleged past behavioural issues surfaced in a notice to claim letter sent by her lawyer.

Abby Zwerner, 25, intends to sue the Newport News school district for alleged negligence.

She is recovering after being shot at Richneck Elementary on 6 January.

The notice of claim was obtained by the Associated Press news agency through a public records request.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64540531

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Still Waters said:

A six-year-old child who shot a teacher at a Virginia school allegedly once choked another teacher "until she couldn't breathe", according to a legal notice filed by the injured teacher.

The child's alleged past behavioural issues surfaced in a notice to claim letter sent by her lawyer.

Abby Zwerner, 25, intends to sue the Newport News school district for alleged negligence.

She is recovering after being shot at Richneck Elementary on 6 January.

The notice of claim was obtained by the Associated Press news agency through a public records request.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64540531

Pretty much open and shut case, im not a sue happy cash grab person but this lady deserves what she can get. I do hope she recovers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Pretty much open and shut case, im not a sue happy cash grab person but this lady deserves what she can get. I do hope she recovers.

Whether she gets anything from the school district or not, the parents should be put in jail and find some way to rehabilitate the 6 year old before he actually kills someone.   Law enforcement needs to get involved and nip  this in the bud.  Does the kid have any siblings?   They should all be taken from those parents.  And I know putting the kid and siblings into the system might not be any better but someone needs to find out what is going on in that household and hold the adults accountable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Abigail Zwerner: Teacher shot by pupil, 6, describes 'exhausting' recovery in first interview

The shooting which took place on 6 January left the 25-year-old with wounds to her hand and chest. Earlier this month, the prosecutor decided not to seek charges against the boy and said the "prospect that a six-year-old can stand trial is problematic".

https://news.sky.com/story/abigail-zwerner-teacher-shot-by-pupil-6-describes-exhausting-recovery-in-first-interview-12839257

• Like 1

This boy has already choked a teacher and shot a teacher and he's only 6 years old! I don't know if it's a family issue or just a short wire in this boy's brain function, but someone needs to seriously intervene here and right now. This will likely just keep escalating.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

A Virginia school teacher who was shot by her six-year-old student has filed a $40m (£32m) lawsuit against school officials, alleging gross negligence for ignoring warning signs.

The lawsuit, filed on Monday, argues the defendants knew the child "had a history of random violence".

Abigail "Abby" Zwerner, 25, was shot on 6 January in the hand and upper chest and spent two weeks in hospital.

The school teacher has undergone surgery four times.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65171455

• Like 2

The mother of a six-year-old child who shot his teacher at a school in Virginia has been criminally charged.

Deja Taylor, 25, has been indicted by a grand jury with a felony child neglect charge and a misdemeanour charge.

Police had previously said that the gun used in the shooting belonged to Ms Taylor.

On Monday, prosecutors said in a statement that Ms Taylor had been charged with one count of felony child neglect and one count of misdemeanour for "recklessly leaving a loaded firearm so as to endanger a child."

They added the charges stemmed from a "thorough investigation" into the shooting.

The family had previously said in a statement after the shooting that the gun was secured.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65202976

• Like 3

Obviously the gun wasn't secured or a 6 yr old wouldn't have gotten a hold of it. This is a good charge.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2023 at 9:26 AM, Desertrat56 said:

Whether she gets anything from the school district or not, the parents should be put in jail and find some way to rehabilitate the 6 year old before he actually kills someone.   Law enforcement needs to get involved and nip  this in the bud.  Does the kid have any siblings?   They should all be taken from those parents.  And I know putting the kid and siblings into the system might not be any better but someone needs to find out what is going on in that household and hold the adults accountable.

It’s not always the adult’s (direct) fault. 
I have to be VERY careful about what I say here, so please as much as we don’t like appeals to authority, understand I will say what I legally can say. 
Fetal(sic) Alcohol Syndrome has a LOT of effects, does a LOT of unpredictable damage to children. A child, for example, could be wracked with anxiety to the point of a raised voice could lead to sobbing. A child, for example, could be unwilling to accept any form of change. Or child could have absolutely no inherent impulse control. 
Parents could be incredibly loving, they could have seen the error of their ways that so wounded their child in the womb, but still unable to affect a change to the already FAS damaged child’s behaviour. 

5 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

It’s not always the adult’s (direct) fault. 
I have to be VERY careful about what I say here, so please as much as we don’t like appeals to authority, understand I will say what I legally can say. 
Fetal(sic) Alcohol Syndrome has a LOT of effects, does a LOT of unpredictable damage to children. A child, for example, could be wracked with anxiety to the point of a raised voice could lead to sobbing. A child, for example, could be unwilling to accept any form of change. Or child could have absolutely no inherent impulse control. 
Parents could be incredibly loving, they could have seen the error of their ways that so wounded their child in the womb, but still unable to affect a change to the already FAS damaged child’s behaviour. 

I have two questions, whose fault is fetal alcohol syndrome to begin with and what is your point, that the kid is responsible because he has issues?   

As far as that 6 year old being able to get a gun and take it to school all the adults in the house that the kid lives in are responsible.  It doesn't matter what "disabilities" the child has, it matters what the parents do.   If the gun was locked up properly a 6 year old would not be able to access it.   It has nothing to do with how loving they are, it has to do with how vigilant and responsible they are knowing the problems their child deals with.    

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

I have two questions, whose fault is fetal alcohol syndrome to begin with and what is your point, that the kid is responsible because he has issues?   

As far as that 6 year old being able to get a gun and take it to school all the adults in the house that the kid lives in are responsible.  It doesn't matter what "disabilities" the child has, it matters what the parents do.   If the gun was locked up properly a 6 year old would not be able to access it.   It has nothing to do with how loving they are, it has to do with how vigilant and responsible they are knowing the problems their child deals with.    

FAS is 100% the fault of the parents (specifically the mother). 
I’m saying that the kid probably had SEVERE problems that locking up parents will not help. Or that it might help. 

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

FAS is 100% the fault of the parents (specifically the mother). 
I’m saying that the kid probably had SEVERE problems that locking up parents will not help. Or that it might help. 

Of course it is obvious the child had SEVERE problems and maybe locking the parents up will give the child a chance that he wasn't getting with his parents.   The story only said the  mother was being locked up.   

• 3 weeks later...

While I do not usually support lawsuits, I think there should have been a settlement here.

The Virginia school district where a 6-year-old student shot his first-grade teacher earlier this year has filed documents asking a court to throw out her $40 million lawsuit, arguing that with her injuries she is only entitled to workers’ compensation. 

Abigail Zwerner, 25, is pursuing damages following the attack on Jan. 6 at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News. 

Her complaint, filed this month in Newport News Circuit Court, contends that the district and school administrators shrugged off multiple warning signs, including from other staffers who told Richneck Elementary School's then-assistant principal Dr. Ebony Parker that the boy might be carrying a gun the day of the shooting.  

However, the Newport News School on Wednesday said in response to her filing that Zwerner was "clearly injured while at work, at her place of employment, by a student in the classroom." 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/virginia-school-district-where-teacher-shot-first-grader-says-she-should-only-be-entitled-workers-comp

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

While I do not usually support lawsuits, I think there should have been a settlement here.

The Virginia school district where a 6-year-old student shot his first-grade teacher earlier this year has filed documents asking a court to throw out her $40 million lawsuit, arguing that with her injuries she is only entitled to workers’ compensation. 

Abigail Zwerner, 25, is pursuing damages following the attack on Jan. 6 at Richneck Elementary School in Newport News. 

Her complaint, filed this month in Newport News Circuit Court, contends that the district and school administrators shrugged off multiple warning signs, including from other staffers who told Richneck Elementary School's then-assistant principal Dr. Ebony Parker that the boy might be carrying a gun the day of the shooting.  

However, the Newport News School on Wednesday said in response to her filing that Zwerner was "clearly injured while at work, at her place of employment, by a student in the classroom." 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/virginia-school-district-where-teacher-shot-first-grader-says-she-should-only-be-entitled-workers-comp

She should get workman's comp AND the law suit, how ever that turns out.  40 million seems a bit steep but maybe that is just to get them to settle for 20 million.  Even so, the shool cannot pretend they were not culpable.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

She should get workman's comp AND the law suit, how ever that turns out.  40 million seems a bit steep but maybe that is just to get them to settle for 20 million.  Even so, the shool cannot pretend they were not culpable.   

I agree.  A settlement of 2-10 million would make sense.  

• Like 1