Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A woman who left Alabama to join ISIS says she felt 'broken' after she was stripped of her US citize

Grim Reaper 6

A woman who ran away from home in Alabama to join ISIS said she felt "broken" when the US revoked her citizenship for aiding the terror group. Hoda Muthana spoke in an interview with The News Movement (TNM), conducted from a prison camp in Syria where she is being held by US-allied forces. She said she wanted to return to the US, and volunteered to serve time in prison if necessary. That seems unlikely to happen — the Obama administration stripped Muthana of citizenship in 2016. In 2019, then-President Donald Trump tweeted that he had personally barred Muthana from the US.

But in her interview, a visibly emotional Muthana said: "I still believe I'm a [US] citizen now."n"I've been through a lot of horrible horrible things in my life. One of the worst feelings I've ever had is someone telling me I wasn't an American citizen. That broke me completely. In November 2014, Muthana told her family that she was going to Atlanta on a school trip, but instead flew to Turkey, and crossed into ISIS-held territory in Syria. During her time with ISIS Muthana married three jihadi fighters, was widowed twice, and gave birth to a baby boy. After she expressed a desire to return to the US with her child, former President Donald Trump tweeted in February 2019 that he instructed Secretary of State Mike Pompeo not to let her come back.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-woman-who-left-alabama-to-join-isis-says-she-felt-broken-after-she-was-stripped-of-her-us-citizenship/ar-AA16aDzJ?ocid=EMMX&cvid=a04033eca93d4f9b9629ec98291a00c4

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

If she had joined an army trying to form a Christian state in the middle east would she be banned from ever returning home?

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

If she had joined an army trying to form a Christian state in the middle east would she be banned from ever returning home?

It depends. If it had been identified as a national security threat or identified as a terrorist organization or affiliated with terrorist activities. Mostly with direct actions taken against the U.S, US interests or allies.

Nice try on that though.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Abramelin said:

I can't say I feel sorry for her.

Too many people don't consider consequences of their actions before and then after complain about the consequences.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeh, we've got one of those, and guess what? All the left wing liberal do-gooders are fighting her corner saying she should be allowed to come back. :rolleyes:

Edited by itsnotoutthere
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Trelane said:

It depends. If it had been identified as a national security threat or identified as a terrorist organization or affiliated with terrorist activities. Mostly with direct actions taken against the U.S, US interests or allies.

Nice try on that though.

So you count Iraq as an ally?  

4 hours ago, Trelane said:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. 

We may have captured a knucklehead like that. Pure stupidity.

First, let me say that I agree with you completely! :tu: I also had the opportunity to meet and speak to a similar knucklehead, in Syria in 2017 who turned herself into US forces. She, claimed she was taken against her will and forced to marry an ISIS Fighter. Well, the sector commander did his due diligence and contacted USCENTCOM  Where it was discovered that she had voluntarily left to United States in 2016 and traveled to Turkey where she planned to meet her future husband. After, it was determined that she had been husband shopping for ISIS fighters online she was arrested and taken away what happened to her after that, I can’t say.

Frankly, it’s pretty amazing what you can shop for on line these days!:lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

First, let me say that I agree with you completely! :tu: I also had the opportunity to meet and speak to a similar knucklehead, in Syria in 2017 who turned herself into US forces. She, claimed she was taken against her will and forced to marry an ISIS Fighter. Well, the sector commander did his due diligence and contacted USCENTCOM  Where it was discovered that she had voluntarily left to United States in 2016 and traveled to Turkey where she planned to meet her future husband. After, it was determined that she had been husband shopping for ISIS fighters online she was arrested and taken away what happened to her after that, I can’t say.

Frankly, it’s pretty amazing what you can shop for on line these days!:lol:

Yep, in Syria likewise however this was a young male. There were reports a few running about in Afghanistan but the Taliban wouldn't have them. Never saw any there though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Trelane said:

Yep, in Syria likewise however this was a young male. There were reports a few running about in Afghanistan but the Taliban wouldn't have them. Never saw any there though. 

The Female I am talking about, was a blond haired overweight American female, of non-Arabic decent unlike the female in this thread. The girl was filthy, obviously had been abused and was on the verge of a mental breakdown. I spoke to her briefly, before it was discovered that she was not forced to marry an ISIS Fighter while I was in the mess facility. But, after the truth came out and she was placed what I would call under arrest, and I learned the truth I had no sympathy for here at all.

She was over 18 years old when she made her faithful decision, no one forced her to go Husband shopping on Islamic Extremist Website, no one told her to meet the guy or whoever showed up in Turkey. I can't even imagine why an American born and raised female would submit themselves to a life of forced subjugation where females are treated like farm animals and are traded as sexual partners, its beyond my ability to imagine why of even how they could consider such a thing!:no: 

• Like 1

@Trelane @Desertrat56 @jmccr8 @HSlim Ok everyone here is the facts of the situation involving Hoda Muthana, the ISIS bride. I personally don’t have any empathy for this woman, or her bid to regain her ( so called citizenship because Apparently she never held Citizenship in first place,) citizenship. Because, it was a lack of understanding of US laws that lead her parents to believe since she was born in New Jersey, and on US Soil she was automatically a Citizen. However, that doesn’t apply to family of a foreign Diplomat from Yemen. Well, under this circumstance, and since her father and  her mother had diplomatic immunity the fact is that even though US law says that children born on the soil of the United States are US Citizens if the Parents are in the USA LEGALLY.

Like everyone I frankly don’t give a DAM is , was or somehow may become a US citizen because with all the publicity and with her mug, spread across the Eithernet she wouldn’t be safe in the United States. But, not only that no matter there something’s anyone should nit be able to walk back, and join a terrorist organization to find a husband is certainly one of them. There only I have any sympathy for and please laugh at me, but I have a soft spot in my heart for all, so I feel sorry for her children!:( The information below was not included in the source in the OP, and I wanted to see if she was actually a citizen in the first place well according to what I posted before and read she was never a US Citizen.:tu:

The 14th Amendment to the US Constitution provides birthright citizenship to everyone born on US soil and “subject to the jurisdiction of” the United States. While there’s an argument (somewhat on the fringe) that “jurisdiction” doesn’t apply to unauthorized immigrants living in the US, everyone agrees that it doesn’t apply to babies born to foreign diplomats. Diplomatic immunity exempts the diplomat — and, generally, his or her family — from US jurisdiction, the argument goes, so children born in the US to foreign diplomats are citizens of their parents’ home countries, not US citizens.

Hoda Muthana’s father, Ahmed Ali Muthana, came to the US from Yemen in 1990 to serve as a diplomat representing his home country at the United Nations, whose headquarters are located in New York City. However, he lost that job — and thus his diplomatic immunity — as the result of the Yemeni civil war in the mid-1990s. The question is exactly when he lost his diplomatic privileges — and whether that happened before Hoda was born, on October 28, 1994, or after.

The US government has told Ahmed Ali Muthana (according to his lawsuit) that its records show he held diplomatic status until February 6, 1995 — that is, until after Hoda’s birth — and therefore that Hoda was born while he was still a diplomat and thus is not a US citizen, but a Yemeni one. But the Muthanas weren’t just wrapping up their affairs before returning to Yemen; they were settling in the country for good. Hoda Muthana’s mother had already applied for a green card in early 1994, based on her father’s US citizenship. And both of Hoda’s parents got green cards after she was born

The Obama administration revoked Muthana’s passport, but the Trump administration’s declarations raise more questions. In January 2016, the US government sent the Muthana household a letter addressed to Hoda officially revoking her US passport. The letter claimed that the passport had been issued in error, because there was “no evidence” that she was actually a US citizen by birth. The government asserted that, contrary to the testimony provided in 2004, the US Mission to the UN’s records showed that Muthana’s father didn’t lose diplomatic status until months after Hoda was born.

In theory, Hoda had the right to a hearing to challenge the passport revocation, but she didn’t ask for one; after all, she was encamped with ISIS by that point. The Trump administration has simply been forced to address the question publicly because Muthana now seeks to return to the US and face trial here. And they’ve done so in their typically blunt way, issuing a press statement that Muthana was never a citizen and therefore that it didn’t have to take her back

If Muthana is a citizen — even though her passport was revoked — it’s “generally understood” that she’d be allowed to return to the US, Vladeck said. But if she’s not a citizen, there’s very little hope for her to return; attorney Gabriel Malor told Vox that if she tried to apply for some other form of immigration status at this point, she’d be barred because of her history with a terrorist group. Crucially, because Muthana’s 18-month-old son was born outside the US and the father was a Tunisian ISIS fighter, the question of whether Muthana is a US citizen determines her son’s citizenship, too.  https://www.vox.com/world/2019/2/22/18236309/hoda-muthana-isis-citizen-trump-pompeo#:~:text=Hoda Muthana’s father%2C Ahmed Ali Muthana%2C came to,of the Yemeni civil war in the mid-1990s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Woah... She has a Wikipefua page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoda_Muthana

She surrendered in January 2019 to coalition forces fighting ISIS in Syria and has been denied access back to the United States after a U.S. court ruling annulled her American citizenship. When she was born, her father was a Yemeni diplomat, making her ineligible for American citizenship by birth.[1]

Pompeo released a press statement that read: "Ms. Hoda Muthana is not a U.S. citizen and will not be admitted into the United States. She does not have any legal basis, no valid U.S. passport, no right to a passport, nor any visa to travel to the United States. 

In November 2019, a federal judge ruled that she did not have American citizenship.[16]

In 2021, the DC Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the decision of the District Court, ruling that Muthana is not a US citizen.[17] In 2022, the United States Supreme Court declined to hear her appeal.[18]

Looks like she should be begging at Yemen, not the USA.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Woah... She has a Wikipefua page.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoda_Muthana

Looks like she should be begging at Yemen, not the USA.

Well, I am certain she is good at begging, to have survived this long there is not doubt she spent a great deal of time on her knees begging. I have seem how the Arabs threat their wive, its terrible and disgusting!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Golden Duck said:

There's the answer to whether, or not, the USA rendered her stateless.

She was never a citizen, so it doesn't matter, when she was born according to the US State Department her father was till a Teman Diplomate so while she was born on US Soil because of her diplomatic immunity she was never a citizen. Her, parents were confused by US law, so they told her she was a citizen, but she never was.

So, she screwed up and will never get the chance to do it again, to bad so sad!!!:)

9 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

She was never a citizen, so it doesn't matter, when she was born according to the US State Department her father was till a Teman Diplomate so while she was born on US Soil because of her diplomatic immunity she was never a citizen. Her, parents were confused by US law, so they told her she was a citizen, but she never was.

So, she screwed up and will never get the chance to do it again, to bad so sad!!!:)

Hi Grim

The onus is on her to check before leaving the country but do find it odd that they issued her a passport to start with. She made a choice to be involved with a terrorist group and knew that when she left as the news doesn’t hide what happens to terrorist that get taken out or captured. Made a bad choice and will have to live with the consequences.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Grim

The onus is on her to check before leaving the country but do find it odd that they issued her a passport to start with. She made a choice to be involved with a terrorist group and knew that when she left as the news doesn’t hide what happens to terrorist that get taken out or captured. Made a bad choice and will have to live with the consequences.

Yea, I certainly have no sympathy for her, I honestly can’t even imagine why any woman would give her identity and freedom to become equal to a herd animal, I just can’t wrap my head around it!:no:

• Like 1

She reminds me of those missionaries that go to silly places like North Korea or remote cannibal islands.  I can't even try to imagine the "happy ending" they were expecting when they do stuff like this.

I am impressed that there are not people on here defending her.   It is nice to see.   We can all come together on something, at least.

• Like 1