Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Illinois bans semiautomatic weapons amid gun advocates' vows of legal challenge

Grim Reaper 6

Illinois banned the sale or possession of semiautomatic weapons Tuesday as Gov. J.B. Pritzker's signed legislation spurred largely by the killing of seven people at a Fourth of July parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park. Pritzker acted without hesitation after the House voted 68-41 to make Illinois the nation's ninth state, along with the District of Columbia, to prohibit the sale or possession of semiautomatic weapons. The vote approved a plan that the Senate passed Monday night.

The legislation bans dozens of specific brands or types of rifles and handguns, .50-caliber guns, attachments and rapid-firing devices. No rifle will be allowed to accommodate more than 10 rounds, with a 15-round limit for handguns. Those who already own such guns will have to register them, including serial numbers, with the Illinois State Police. The new law enables merchants to sell or return current stock, and Illinois-based manufacturers can sell their wares outside Illinois or to law enforcement. Illinois bans semiautomatic weapons amid gun advocates' vows of legal challenge (msn.com)

• Like 3

There are many "sanctuary" counties in Illinois that have already proclaimed that they will not follow these laws.  Mostly in mid and southern Illinois. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Myles said:

There are many "sanctuary" counties in Illinois that have already proclaimed that they will not follow these laws.  Mostly in mid and southern Illinois. 

It certainly doesn't matter to me; it seems pretty foolish though not to comply. They are not taking anyone's weapons, if someone already owns one all they must is register it, It certainly doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But look on the flip side if someone doesn't comply and gets caught, they can't complain. Violations would be a petty offense with a $1,000 fine the first time, and a Class 4 felony for subsequent violations. Because the way I see it, if you talk the talk, you had better be able to walk the walk!:devil:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

It certainly doesn't matter to me; it seems pretty foolish though not to comply. They are not taking anyone's weapons, if someone already owns one all they must is register it, It certainly doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But look on the flip side if someone doesn't comply and gets caught, they can't complain. Violations would be a petty offense with a $1,000 fine the first time, and a Class 4 felony for subsequent violations. Because the way I see it, if you talk the talk, you had better be able to walk the walk!:devil:

That is true, but the police will not enforce it in the sanctuary counties so the threat isn't really there. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

That is true, but the police will not enforce it in the sanctuary counties so the threat isn't really there. 

Cool!:tu:

The city of Chicago already has some of the most strict/severe gun control in the nation.  How's that workin' out?  Oh yeah...

This one will be quickly overturned at SCOTUS.  Meanwhile, hopefully, some independent entity will collect data for gun crime in the state in the months this abomination against 2A is allowed to stand.  It seems like the perfect opportunity to prove that gun crime is reduced by taking the guns of law-abiding Americans.  Bets, anyone?  :lol:

30 minutes ago, and-then said:

The city of Chicago already has some of the most strict/severe gun control in the nation.  How's that workin' out?  Oh yeah...

This one will be quickly overturned at SCOTUS.  Meanwhile, hopefully, some independent entity will collect data for gun crime in the state in the months this abomination against 2A is allowed to stand.  It seems like the perfect opportunity to prove that gun crime is reduced by taking the guns of law-abiding Americans.  Bets, anyone?  :lol:

Hey, man hope all is well. You, aware that there 8 other states who have banned assault rifles and semiautomatic pistols and the a SCOTUS has not intervened yet. How, is collecting gun crime data important most of us don’t don’t carry assault Rifle's, a pistol des just find for me!

Oh and by the way in addition to pistol, a double tap center of mass and between the eye, that light will turn off permanentlyL