Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

California university stops using the word "field"

Myles

Has anyone used the word field in a negative way recently?  The fields my brother farms have nothing to do with race.  The (career) field I work in has nothing to do with race.  The football fields I watch a game on have nothing to do with race.

If someone truly is offended by the word "field", it should be on them to get over it.  

The University of Southern California's School of Social Work will no longer use the word "field" because it "may have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign," according to a letter from the department.

USC's Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work will make the change in order to ensure the use of "inclusive language and practice," according to the letter.

"Specifically, we have decided to remove the term ‘field’ from our curriculum and practice and replace it with ‘practicum,'" the letter said. "This change supports anti-racist social work practice by replacing language that would be considered anti-Black or anti-immigrant in favor of inclusive language."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/california-university-longer-word-field-over-racist-connotations

• Haha 1
  • Confused 5

• The title was changed to California university stops using the word "field"

53 minutes ago, Myles said:

Has anyone used the word field in a negative way recently?  The fields my brother farms have nothing to do with race.  The (career) field I work in has nothing to do with race.  The football fields I watch a game on have nothing to do with race.

If someone truly is offended by the word "field", it should be on them to get over it.  

The University of Southern California's School of Social Work will no longer use the word "field" because it "may have connotations for descendants of slavery and immigrant workers that are not benign," according to a letter from the department.

USC's Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work will make the change in order to ensure the use of "inclusive language and practice," according to the letter.

"Specifically, we have decided to remove the term ‘field’ from our curriculum and practice and replace it with ‘practicum,'" the letter said. "This change supports anti-racist social work practice by replacing language that would be considered anti-Black or anti-immigrant in favor of inclusive language."

https://www.foxnews.com/media/california-university-longer-word-field-over-racist-connotations

Honestly, who comes up with that s$&t? People are getting more stupid with every second that passes.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We're gonna have a practicum day with this.

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, Zebra3 said:

We're gonna have a practicum day with this.

And now, ladies and gents, we present you the one and only america's favourite comedian Jerry Seinpracticum. (Feld/Field-german/english...for those who will wonder)

• Like 1

Will Justin Practicums be back QBing with the Bears next year?

• Haha 2

Practicum of Dreams

The Practicums - by Erin Young

The Practiums of Athenry

Harwesting the Practicums

Oh god, such an insanity.

• Like 1

California is a joke! I’ve been a black American for a very long time and I can tell you this is not one of our request…. Field lmao. That’s nig-picking.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dr. Mirdad said:

California is a joke! I’ve been a black American for a very long time and I can tell you this is not one of our request…. Field lmao. That’s nig-picking.

I understand what you mean. As a muslim I am in the same position where "informed" people, mostly white non muslims, try to appease muslims - by doing everything counterproductive and putting an extra target on their back. 

• Like 1

These idiots think they're leveling the playing practicum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, odas said:

I understand what you mean. As a muslim I am in the same position where "informed" people, mostly white non muslims, try to appease muslims - by doing everything counterproductive and putting an extra target on their back. 

It's because they are frightened bigots.    It is the same thing as the liar screaming about someone else "She's a Liar!  You can't believe anything she says, she's a liar!"

• Like 1

Yeah not sure I am sensitive enough to learn a new language for a bunch of up tight Nancys I had to learn PC decades ago and unless there is a fine or prison sentence they can just pizz off

• Like 1

While, YES, hearing the word “field” would more than likely have been a trigger to an emancipated slave… they’re all dead now. 

Yes Sally... "like"

[00.00:19]

~

Is USC practicuming any questions about this?

• Haha 1