Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders bans ‘Latinx’ from Arkansas government documents

OverSword

Arkansas Republican Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders will prohibit the use of the term “Latinx” in government documents through an executive order.

Sanders, who was sworn in as the first female governor of Arkansas on Tuesday, justified the ban of the word “Latinx” in government documents and name titles by citing a Pew Research poll that found only 3% of American Latinos and Hispanics used the term to describe themselves.

“Ethnically insensitive and pejorative language has no place in official government documents or government employee titles,” Sanders’ executive order states. “The government has a responsibility to respect its citizens and use ethnically appropriate language, particularly when referring to ethnic minorities.”

Link

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I always thought "Latinx" was stupid anyway, however based on the wording I suspect they should not be using "African American" or "Native American" either as those phrases intend the same thing as "Latinx", to put people in boxes that no longer fit.  Either we are citizens of the U.S. & in this case Arkansas or not.   It should be that simple, people are people and labels should no longer be needed, especially in state documents.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

It won't work any better than De Santis banning "climate change" in Florida documents.  You can't say "climate change" even if you're drowning in rising sea water.

It is simply more political grandstanding to make people think that doing nothing is an accomplishment.

Doug

• Like 7

I'm all for erasing any attempt by any entity to change the language in a way that weaponizes speech designed to impede free speech.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, eight bits said:

We could always go back to Hispanic. No, wait, Theirspanic.

That is the word I grew up with and it no longer makes any sense.   The spaniards colonized all over the Americas and all the islands around the Americas.    In the area I live "hispanics" were never a  minority, and they still aren't really, even though we have a lot immigrants from Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Minnesota, etc.   I speak more spanish than my sister in law whose grandfather came from Mexico city at the turn of the previous century.   (not saying I have a huge spanish vocabulary either, I don't, and my ancestors are mostly british isles).   

Like I said before, we don't need any of those words anymore.  We are citizens of the same country.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

I always thought "Latinx" was stupid anyway, however based on the wording I suspect they should not be using "African American" or "Native American" either as those phrases intend the same thing as "Latinx", to put people in boxes that no longer fit.  Either we are citizens of the U.S. & in this case Arkansas or not.   It should be that simple, people are people and labels should no longer be needed, especially in state documents.

LatinX was meant to be a gender neutral way of saying you were of Latin American descent rather than Latina or Latino.  Just plain Latin works for that too.  LatinX seems to be a way the trans community tries to nullify gender through language.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

LatinX was meant to be a gender neutral way of saying you were of Latin American descent rather than Latina or Latino.  Just plain Latin works for that too.  LatinX seems to be a way the trans community tries to nullify gender through language.

Ok.  It still seems senseless to me.   If you want to distinguish, then how do you label someone who has ancestors from Africa, Spain, Ireland, and Native America?   Or someone who has ancestors from the UK, Switzerland, Ireland, Africa, Japan and who knows where else?    We need to stop labeling people and decide that it doesn't matter if someone's ancestors were from Spanish colinization, British colonization, imigrated because of the potatoe famine, or WW2 or some other war, or just because.   There are so many of us who can trace DNA from all over the world, it is time to quit putting labels on others and claiming superiority or downtroddenness based on our ancestors.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, and-then said:

I'm all for erasing any attempt by any entity to change the language in a way that weaponizes speech designed to impede free speech.  

Obviously some people got it.  I'm sorry, I missed it.  Could you rephrase a bit?

• Like 4

Maybe there should be a ban on all words other than work related or when in your own home or car then nobody will be offended 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, eight bits said:

We could always go back to Hispanic. No, wait, Theirspanic.

I never liked that term because Latin Americans are mostly native and Mexican culture is Christianized Native culture.

On top of many Puerto Ricans will tell you they are Taino.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OverSword said:

LainX does seem to be a clumsy way of handling the problem.  But I see no need to ban it.

Doug

• Like 3

8 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Maybe there should be a ban on all words other than work related or when in your own home or car then nobody will be offended 

That would be a quiet world.

Doug

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

Yes. But noone will then know how stupid we all are.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

Hi Doug

Yes it would be and only said it in jest as it doesn’t matter 1 iota people will complain about something someone said no matter what. Over the years have seen a lot of words and phrases fall to the wayside only for someone else to complain about a new one so it’s a wash rinse repeat thing.

Not sure why but I don’t see a lot of theses exchanges of words in dispute first hand in my day to day where anyone gets offended so assume it is an internet discussion offence where faceless voiceless words are exchanged sometimes in hostility.

• Like 3

As a native Arkansan, I'm embarrassed that my home state has clung to so many old and archaic ideas .... and leaders. It's beyond old fashioned, it's evil.

I used to live near former governor Orval Faubus, and I was a friend of his son, in grade school. I visited their home many times, and I still remember the giant Bible the former governor had sitting on a podium, as you entered their home. How odd, I thought, was he trying to say something in private that he didn't live with his life? Was it just for show?

Faubus's name became internationally known during the Little Rock Crisis of 1957, when he used the Arkansas National Guard to stop African Americans from attending Little Rock Central High School as part of federally ordered racial desegregation. Source

The problems we face today, in Arkansas, and in the entire Old South generally, are due not just to ignorance, but an evil belief that some people are better than others, genetically. This is a lie, and while our genetics may vary, race to race, we are stronger when we are united as one. If the pandemic didn't prove that, then I'm sorry to say what is coming  ..... will, with an even greater contrast. The wind isn't done blowing away the proverbial chaff. The Earth is now at war with U.S.

As a vocal activist for progressive ideas, in my home state, and beyond; I was recently tailed by local authorities, while visiting my home state of Arkansas. This has happened before, but the power inside me, is far greater than anything they can or ever, will imagine. So it doesn't bother me. It just lets me know that I'm doing my job.

Arkansas is a beautiful state with beautiful people, but their leaders will be unable to navigate the Terror Non Firma that awaits them. They will be blown away, and removed from the future of our species. They will have no place at the table of life, because life for many of these bad leaders and authorities, was just a game of hurting people, for no reason other than selfishness.

My name for Huckabee has always been "Hickabee," and I stand by this; for the daughter, as well as her father, and another former governor, of lies. We don't need their selfish garbage, and if the people of Arkansas don't wake up immediately, they will be torn apart by a new kind of wind that they've never seen before.

Although I prayed for your recent drought to end, I will not ask for the winnowing wind that is coming, to stop. It will follow you like a mirrored companion. It will wreck your crops, your homes, and leave you lifeless, in a heap of rubble, from end to end.

Woe to Arkansas .... Woe to her leaders, and Woe to her people.

49571788776_31d98aaaf2_c.jpg

Source

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

LainX does seem to be a clumsy way of handling the problem.  But I see no need to ban it.

Doug

The reasoning is explained in the article.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

It won't work any better than De Santis banning "climate change" in Florida documents.  You can't say "climate change" even if you're drowning in rising sea water.

It is simply more political grandstanding to make people think that doing nothing is an accomplishment.

Doug

That's nonsense.  I'm pretty sure that 99% of those of Latin American descent think this invented word is ridiculous and don't identify with it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

It's a virtue signal to her constituents making a statement that "we will not let these language bullies with their nonsense pronouns and gender weird identifiers control our narrative". 

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

That's nonsense.  I'm pretty sure that 99% of those of Latin American descent think this invented word is ridiculous and don't identify with it.

And that's why the stunt is political grandstanding.

Doug

• Like 4

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

It's a virtue signal to her constituents making a statement that "we will not let these language bullies with their nonsense pronouns and gender weird identifiers control our narrative". 

That too.

Doug

• Like 3

This seems like a good idea.  If someone uses LatinX, I have no idea if they are talking about a male or a female.

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

This seems like a good idea.  If someone uses LatinX, I have no idea if they are talking about a male or a female.

In some cases there is no reason to care is there?   And if there is it would be followed by Latin boy, Latin girl, Latin trans man, etc.  so the X means nothing.   And in the U.S. the Latin means nothing anymore unless you are a bigot.   

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 3