Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders bans ‘Latinx’ from Arkansas government documents

OverSword

3 minutes ago, Myles said:

This seems like a good idea.  If someone uses LatinX, I have no idea if they are talking about a male or a female.

They apparently don't either. Good way to gauge the intelligence of whatever or whoever you're talking to.

16 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

In some cases there is no reason to care is there?   And if there is it would be followed by Latin boy, Latin girl, Latin trans man, etc.  so the X means nothing.   And in the U.S. the Latin means nothing anymore unless you are a bigot.   

Well that's not true, a friend from Peru uses the word Latin quite a bit to describe himself and his overall culture.

21 minutes ago, Myles said:

This seems like a good idea.  If someone uses LatinX, I have no idea if they are talking about a male or a female.

You also don't if the word is black, white, Asian, etc. or even Latin.  There are male and female specific ways of identifying among Latins, Latino for males and Latina for females.  LatinX replaces the gender identifier with a non identifier.  It's a tool for eliminating gender specific language into a more gender neutral or non-binary and inclusive form.  The stupid thing about LatinX is that there is already a gender neutral form which is simply Latin.  Personally I have been turned off by the word LatinX since I first heard it.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Well that's not true, a friend from Peru uses the word Latin quite a bit to describe himself and his overall culture.

You also don't if the word is black, white, Asian, etc. or even Latin.  There are male and female specific ways of identifying among Latins, Latino for males and Latina for females.  LatinX replaces the gender identifier with a non identifier.  It's a tool for eliminating gender specific language into a more gender neutral or non-binary and inclusive form.  The stupid thing about LatinX is that there is already a gender neutral form which is simply Latin.  Personally I have been turned off by the word LatinX since I first heard it.

Why does your friend feel the need to do that?  And it is different because your friend is from Peru, not the U.S.   And in the olden days South America was called "Latin America", or maybe that included Mexico and California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

Thank goodness Sarah is tackling all of the important problems first, Latinx and CRT in schools.  Maybe she can get rid of those kitty litter boxes too.  Hopefully she will get to Arkansas zoning laws where some of the real problems are.

Pin on Far side cartoons

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Thank goodness Sarah is tackling all of the important problems first, Latinx and CRT in schools.  Maybe she can get rid of those kitty litter boxes too.  Hopefully she will get to Arkansas zoning laws where some of the real problems are.

As I stated earlier, she is virtue signaling to her constituents.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, odas said:

Yes. But noone will then know how stupid we all are.

Better to keep silent and be thought stupid than to speak up and remove all doubt.  --Mark Twain

• Like 1

On 1/11/2023 at 4:53 PM, Doug1066 said:

It won't work any better than De Santis banning "climate change" in Florida documents.  You can't say "climate change" even if you're drowning in rising sea water.

It is simply more political grandstanding to make people think that doing nothing is an accomplishment.

Doug

De Santis is trying to copy Donald Trump’s dumb desire to divide, and be conquered. Whether it’s a killer virus, or the Democrats, the more they divide U.S., the more power they lose.

It’s why the dividers had to try to steal the last election through obvious fraud, despite packing the courts with their people.

The Republican Party is being destroyed by a simple Truth, which is that freedom is inclusive, by design.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Thank goodness Sarah is tackling all of the important problems first, Latinx and CRT in schools.

Yes, because that's not at all what's making people stupid and confused by design. Let's get to the real issues, like gas stoves.

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Zebra3 said:

Yes, because that's not at all what's making people stupid and confused by design. Let's get to the real issues, like gas stoves.

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/features/copoisoning/index.html

When winter temperatures plummet and home heating systems run for hours the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning increases.

Every year, at least 420 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning. More than 100,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency department each year due to accidental CO poisoning. There are steps you can take to help protect yourself and your household from CO poisoning.  CO is found in fumes produced by furnaces, kerosene heaters, vehicles “warmed up” in garages, stoves, lanterns, and gas ranges, portable generators, or by burning charcoal and wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO.

Good for you.  Gas stoves are the most excellent way to cook, maybe the reason why so many restaurants use them.  Restaurant kitchens have hoods over their stoves to prevent CO buildup in the kitchen.  High end home kitchens do to.

Big deal, a few people die every year from CO poisoning at home.   It is easy to avoid, they even make sensors for it.  Newer houses with natural gas or oil furnaces have them.  Not much new construction  relies on oil heat, but a lot of older houses do.  Building codes in most areas require CO sensors for new and remodels.  Like guns, gas stoves don't kill people, stupid people kill themselves and sometimes their families and pets.  Shame about the dog, but hey its freedom.

Somebody says there oughta be a law and others go running up the OMG tree as if it will actually happen. Too bad all of our problems are not imaginary. 

To show all of us libs, I think every conservative should go out and buy a gas stove.  To really really own us, post some YouTube videos of you cooking on your gas or propane grill in the middle of the living room.  I guarantee I will just be so spluttering mad I won't know what to do.  Maybe we can exchange brisket and rib recipes.  I will keep doing mine outside though.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

When winter temperatures plummet and home heating systems run for hours the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning increases.

Every year, at least 420 people die in the U.S. from accidental CO poisoning. More than 100,000 people in the U.S. visit the emergency department each year due to accidental CO poisoning. There are steps you can take to help protect yourself and your household from CO poisoning.  CO is found in fumes produced by furnaces, kerosene heaters, vehicles “warmed up” in garages, stoves, lanterns, and gas ranges, portable generators, or by burning charcoal and wood. CO from these sources can build up in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces. People and animals in these spaces can be poisoned and can die from breathing CO.

Good for you.  Gas stoves are the most excellent way to cook, maybe the reason why so many restaurants use them.  Restaurant kitchens have hoods over their stoves to prevent CO buildup in the kitchen.  High end home kitchens do to.

Big deal, a few people die every year from CO poisoning at home.   It is easy to avoid, they even make sensors for it.  Newer houses with natural gas or oil furnaces have them.  Not much new construction  relies on oil heat, but a lot of older houses do.  Building codes in most areas require CO sensors for new and remodels.  Like guns, gas stoves don't kill people, stupid people kill themselves and sometimes their families and pets.  Shame about the dog, but hey its freedom.

Somebody says there oughta be a law and others go running up the OMG tree as if it will actually happen. Too bad all of our problems are not imaginary. 

To show all of us libs, I think every conservative should go out and buy a gas stove.  To really really own us, post some YouTube videos of you cooking on your gas or propane grill in the middle of the living room.  I guarantee I will just be so spluttering mad I won't know what to do.  Maybe we can exchange brisket and rib recipes.  I will keep doing mine outside though.

You have the possibility of CO poisoning, but the main issue I believe was the realization that it was responsible for 12% of childhood asthma cases. https://www.nationalasthma.org.au/living-with-asthma/resources/patients-carers/factsheets/gas-stoves-and-asthma-in-children

That's Australia but the stats are similar in most places. 

With good ventilation, this is less of an issue. 

Edited by HandsomeGorilla
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tatetopa said:

Hi Tate

do have to wonder if they will include gas fireplaces as well. Not sure but if they are older homes or condos that have gas ranges and 60 amp panels they would have to upgrade to 100 amp and then there is the push for electric cars so it will increase hydro costs. Not sure what it would cost in the States to upgrade to 100 amp here costs more than what they are offering to people to change over as it’s less than $900 so home owners will have to dish out the difference.

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, HandsomeGorilla said:

You have the possibility of CO poisoning

3 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

do have to wonder if they will include gas fireplaces as well

A little background, Biden administration just put out that caution and made a mention of regulating CO output or banning domestic gas ranges in new builds.  Most likely they will look at this and decide a safety regulation will be sufficient, something that includes furnaces and fireplaces too. AOC put out a tweet saying something similar to your comment Handsome about long term effects. 

Meanwhile, like a flock of turkeys in a thunderstorm, a certain  party panicked and squawked about their latest loss of freedom. Ronny Jackson from Texas contested AOC as claim, wants a special council to investigate the truth of the hazards of gas stoves.  His famous quote is :

I’ll NEVER give up my gas stove. If the maniacs in the White House come for my stove, they can pry it from my cold dead hands. COME AND TAKE IT!!

Just another chance to start a stupid fight over nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LOL.

CNN reporter claims using gas stove is like 'having a car idling' inside your home

https://www.theblaze.com/news/bill-weir-gas-stoves-car-idling

Boy, when they want to distract the clueless, they go full bore, don't they.

• Like 2

"Pet causes of the radical left gain traction, and then cities and communities run by far-left Democratic Party politicians take up the cause, inflicting it on the community with the help of their allies in the media, and before anyone knows why the thing that wasn’t a problem yesterday is now a problem today, it’s being unnecessarily regulated and even outright banned. "

https://nypost.com/2023/01/12/the-biden-administration-is-showing-electric-only-is-the-only-democrat-goal/

22 hours ago, OverSword said:

As I stated earlier, she is virtue signaling to her constituents.

Well the CTR thing is important. But yeah this is kinda dumb. 

Especially considering that our southern guests for the most part think the whole Latinx thing is stupid. They don’t have a need to be gender neutral. That’s for college campuses, and rich liberal white women to worry about. 

17 hours ago, Zebra3 said:

Let's get to the real issues, like gas stoves.

I think someone in DOE jumped the gun on phasing out gas stoves.  From an environmental stand point we need to phase out gas and oil furnaces first.  Simple way to do it:  allow 15 years for replacement so that people won't have to replace a working furnace.  Provide a government cost-share equal to 75% of the replacement cost, but reduce it by 5% each year (Money to be paid AFTER installation of the new unit has been confirmed by an on-site inspection.).

The long time-frame allows utilities time to upgrade their trunk lines to carry the increased load.

Replacement is brought about by banning the manufacture of new stoves after the twelfth year.  That way, we aren't regulating homeowners, only industry.

Doug

4 minutes ago, Doug1066 said:

I think someone in DOE jumped the gun on phasing out gas stoves.  From an environmental stand point we need to phase out gas and oil furnaces first.  Simple way to do it:  allow 15 years for replacement so that people won't have to replace a working furnace.  Provide a government cost-share equal to 75% of the replacement cost, but reduce it by 5% each year (Money to be paid AFTER installation of the new unit has been confirmed by an on-site inspection.).

The long time-frame allows utilities time to upgrade their trunk lines to carry the increased load.

Replacement is brought about by banning the manufacture of new stoves after the twelfth year.  That way, we aren't regulating homeowners, only industry.

Doug

15 years is not long enough.  I just bought a new gas furnace in 2017, the previous one lasted 35 years.  For the price I paid I expect to get 30 years out of this one.    I don't understand why we need to phase out natural gas stoves and furnaces in the first place.   When it becomes less expensive to use alternative fuels people will naturally phase out the gas using appliances.   It is, after all, always about money.   That is the main reason we are just now getting the industry to replace some fossil fuel consumption, because of lobbyists and oil companies buying patents and keeping them from being used.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

15 years is not long enough.  I just bought a new gas furnace in 2017, the previous one lasted 35 years.  For the price I paid I expect to get 30 years out of this one.    I don't understand why we need to phase out natural gas stoves and furnaces in the first place.   When it becomes less expensive to use alternative fuels people will naturally phase out the gas using appliances.   It is, after all, always about money.   That is the main reason we are just now getting the industry to replace some fossil fuel consumption, because of lobbyists and oil companies buying patents and keeping them from being used.

Well said. Natural gas is about the cleanest form of energy we have that can actually meet the demands. 

There is nothing wrong with burning natural gas. I mean are we really gonna have 80 year old women climbing on their roofs to clear off snow from solar panels? 

Make something better and cheaper then we will talk. Till then they need to stop pretending they are our lords 

14 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Well said. Natural gas is about the cleanest form of energy we have that can actually meet the demands. 

There is nothing wrong with burning natural gas. I mean are we really gonna have 80 year old women climbing on their roofs to clear off snow from solar panels? 

Make something better and cheaper then we will talk. Till then they need to stop pretending they are our lords 

If you lived in New Mexico you would know that extracting natural gas comes at a high environmental cost.  It is cleaner, but it is just as destructive as anything else.   So far almost all the forms of energy we are using have some environmental impact, oil being the worst, but batteries, solar panels, the materials used for the wind turbines, all that have to be mined.   If we found a way to recycle all the plastic we are choking on into sturdy parts for wind turbine parts that would be a step in the right direction but we would still need to mine the copper, and other metals that are needed to make it work.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

If you lived in New Mexico you would know that extracting natural gas comes at a high environmental cost.  It is cleaner, but it is just as destructive as anything else.   So far almost all the forms of energy we are using have some environmental impact, oil being the worst, but batteries, solar panels, the materials used for the wind turbines, all that have to be mined.   If we found a way to recycle all the plastic we are choking on into sturdy parts for wind turbine parts that would be a step in the right direction but we would still need to mine the copper, and other metals that are needed to make it work.

And realistically wind overall might get us about 10% of our needs at best. 

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

And realistically wind overall might get us about 10% of our needs at best. 

If wind turbines were put on every sky scraper and home in the country we would get more than that.   We could be putting them on roofs, there are models that are bladeless that would work well on roof tops.  We don't need lots of land for any of it, just use everyone's roof.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

There is nothing cleaner, or cheaper, than wind.  However, due to some inefficiencies, electric furnaces do not use energy as well as gas ones, so gas is still cheaper.  Some technological improvements could help this picture.

Commercial windfarms are the source of most wind energy in this country.  Same with commercial solar.  You pay the person to clean the surfaces when you pay your bill.  Very few people have their own windmills or solar collectors.

This is mot about cheaper.  It is about controlling CO2 pollution.

Doug

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

If wind turbines were put on every sky scraper and home in the country we would get more than that.   We could be putting them on roofs, there are models that are bladeless that would work well on roof tops.  We don't need lots of land for any of it, just use everyone's roof.

Oklahoma is producing about 35% of its power from wind.  That includes exported power.

As a whole, the country is producing about 25% of its energy from renewables - about 10% of the total from wind.

But don't worry.  That percentage will rise as we build more wind farms.  It will take about 68,000 windmills to provide the power we are using now.

Doug

Edited by Doug1066
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug1066 said:

Doug

Trumpka made an offhand comment at a press conference in response to a question about the number of cases of childhood asthma linked to gas appliances in  homes.  He said they would either try to make them safer or find a way to ban them.  He should not have said that realizing what a trigger it would be.  This time it has nothing to do with green, just kids getting asthma.  He did not say they would ban them, he does not have the power to do that.  It has to do with carbon monoxide released by these appliances.  New installations require a carbon monoxide sensor installed in the home, at least in our area.  This is not going to be a ban, at most it would be a tightening of allowable CO emissions from stoves. 

Since they are already born, it is pretty obvious that Republicans are not concerned about a link to childhood asthma.  If somebody found out excess carbon monoxide cause gender confusion, these stoves would be banned overnight even if people were left shivering and eating raw food.

• Haha 1