Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skara Brae represents Sirius

The Puzzler

16 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

I’m good, thank you. It is. I am a soldier. Yes.

God... even better.. sigh.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

On the one hand you have a point as there are still many gaps to be filled, on the other hand those gaps don’t supersede what we actually DO know barring evidence to the contrary. Put another way history isn’t a “make it up as you go along” scenario because something “sounds cool”. Sadly way too much of the latter occurs. 

cormac

Totally agree with that. "Sounds cool" is pretty subjective. In physics, new discoveries modify or change things sometimes and I'm excited about new discoveries and increasing knowledge. Same with history, archeology and paleontology, sometimes the equivalent of experimentation , field work or lab work, may add or change accepted understanding.

One thing common to both, theories do not change physics, experimentation to verify or disprove theories does.

Richard Feynman  had  a  good quote on theories in physics." It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong. In that simple statement is the key to science."   I think the same holds true in all scientific disciplines.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 1/12/2023 at 2:23 AM, The Puzzler said:

To firstly understand this idea, you need to see what I see…

In this image, Troy was Dogger Bank, that’s another thread altogether. Not part of this idea.

But look at the white dots, it’s Orion’s Belt, upside down, like in the Southern Hemisphere, with Orion’s Nebula at Newgrange and Sirius at Skara Brae.

9C27D057-D022-4B56-8C58-0B678D02804D.jpeg

This won't and CANNOT work as 1)  Orion's belt doesn't follow a straight line as shown in the above picture, it's actually bent and 2)  Sirius is ridiculously close to Orion's Belt in the above whereas in reality it would be far to the northeast in Norway. 

cormac

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Have you read the said book?

No, I have not.  But I've (briefly) studied the blurb on the link you provided, so let me address some of that.

"Who were the inhabitants of Skara Brae?"  Stone-Age farmers.  Peaceful, resourceful, inventive & adaptive.  Mainly kept sheep and cattle; evidence of cultivated crops, mainly barley; considerable evidence of seafood.

"and what connection did they have with the peoples who went on to create ancient Egypt?"  None. 

"What knowledge did they share with the ancient African tribe the Dogon?"  None.

Where did they come from, and to where did they disappear?"  We'll probably never know.  But that's no reason to suppose any mystical origin or fate.  The population of Skara Brae is estimated at just a few score: they could simply have moved somewhere more hospitable and been absorbed into a wider population. 

"Examines the similarities between Skara Brae and Gobekli Tepe and how Skara Brae may have been a secondary center of learning for the ancient world."  The similarities are: they're built from stone (but not even the same rock which might indicate a connection: each site just used the local materials, sandstone for SB, limestone at GT); they're old (but 6000 years seperate their earliest constructions); both were abandoned and filled in (SB naturally by drifting sand, GT deliberately with gravel).  As for a centre of learning?  Ten huts nestled amongst a thousand years' accumulated refuse... the Oxford of its time?

There is no archaeological, genetic or linguistic evidence that links Skara Brae, Gobekli Tepe, Ancient Egypt &/or the Dogons of Mali.  90% of this theory hinges on the fabulous story that the Dogons have known details about Sirius for thousands of years.  That is not true.  Sorry. 

The rest is routine badly-structured speculation to sell books, not academic or intellectual investigation.  e.g. He places the "clerical Papae and the pygmy-like Peti" in Stone-Age SB even though the earliest record of these peoples (Thormodus Torfæus, 1697)  places them in Orkney 3000 years later and is probably mythical.  He then links the 'clerical' Papae to the Dogon Hogons (spiritual leaders) because - well, priests, innit?  Pointless, puerile, lazy speculation.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

On 1/12/2023 at 12:44 AM, Ell said:

It is called pareidolia

People may discern the same similarity when they look at the spots on the nail of their left large toe.

I was wondering what that was. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2023 at 2:04 AM, The Puzzler said:

The thing is genetics tells us that people of Libya, the Berbers are actually genetically related to the Northen Saami.. So the Saami Finns and Estonians can have the same cosmology as the Berbers, who are said to have moved to the Nile area, creating the first dynasties of Egypt. It’s not hard to see how they have the same beliefs.

Uh...Who says this? 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2023 at 5:40 AM, The Puzzler said:

“Scranton shows how the cultivated field alongside the village of Skara Brae corresponds to the 'heavenly field' symbolism pervasive throughout many ancient cultures, such as the Field of Reeds of the ancient Egyptians and the Elysian Fields of ancient Greece. He demonstrates how Greek and Egyptian geographic descriptions of these fields are a consistent match with Orkney Island. Examining the similarities between Skara Brae and Gobekli Tepe, Scranton reveals that Skara Brae may have been a secondary centre of initiation and civilizing knowledge, a long-lost Egyptian mystery school set up millenia after Gobekli Tepe was ritually buried, and, given the timing of the site, is possibly the source of the first pharoahs and priests of ancient Egypt.“

https://www.orcadian.co.uk/shop/archaeology/1075-the-mystery-of-skara-brae.html

As I was saying. 

Laird is a kook. A snake oil salesmen who preys on the few gullible enough to buy his books. I have had several exchanges with him. When he is not making absurd speculative leaps he just makes ___ up to fill in the blanks. Then blames it on others closemindedness for not believing his nonsense instead of the fact his ideas and "methodology" are complete garbage.  

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

On 1/12/2023 at 1:54 AM, The Puzzler said:

I’ve got over 10,000 posts here. You have 1000, I’ll do what I like. It’s how it pastes, try harder.

Cladking has almost 10,000 post too.... 

I'm going with quality over quantity on this one.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Thanos5150 said:

Laird is a kook. A snake oil salesmen who preys on the few gullible enough to buy his books. I have had several exchanges with him. When he is not making absurd speculative leaps he just makes ___ up to fill in the blanks. Then blames it on others closemindedness for not believing his nonsense instead of the fact his ideas and "methodology" are complete garbage.  

It’s all going to fall on deaf ears Thanos but thanks anyway. Much of it is being regurgitated here from a decade ago so good luck. 

cormac

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

This won't and CANNOT work as 1)  Orion's belt doesn't follow a straight line as shown in the above picture, it's actually bent and 2)  Sirius is ridiculously close to Orion's Belt in the above whereas in reality it would be far to the northeast in Norway. 

cormac

OK. I don’t think that Star Carr or Carnac were part of the belt now. The points would be closer to Stonehenge, where I pinpoint at least the centre star, Alnilam, of the belt. I’m searching for the other two points as I’m sure they are there.

Newgrange, as the Orion Nebula and Skara Brae as Sirius and Stonehenge as Alnilam are the main points. 
Betelguese sits above Amiens and Rigel as seen here, near the Standing Stones of Cape Clear Island, Ireland.

I know it’s upside down.

60EA54F7-F34B-423E-9486-78A2D87EFEC8.jpeg

Edited by The Puzzler

5 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

OK. I don’t think that Star Carr or Carnac were part of the belt now. The points would be closer to Stonehenge, where I pinpoint at least the centre star, Alnilam, of the belt. I’m searching for the other two points as I’m sure they are there.

Newgrange, as the Orion Nebula and Skara Brae as Sirius and Stonehenge as Alnilam are the main points. 
Betelguese sits above Amiens and Rigel as seen here, near the Standing Stones of Cape Clear Island, Ireland.

60EA54F7-F34B-423E-9486-78A2D87EFEC8.jpeg

Without all three stars of Orion’s Belt in evidence it’s meaningless to even call it Orion’s Belt as you’re just force-fitting a “connection”. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Without all three stars of Orion’s Belt in evidence it’s meaningless to even call it Orion’s Belt as you’re just force-fitting a “connection”. 

cormac

I’ll work on a better map.

7 hours ago, Tom1200 said:

No, I have not.  But I've (briefly) studied the blurb on the link you provided, so let me address some of that.

"Who were the inhabitants of Skara Brae?"  Stone-Age farmers.  Peaceful, resourceful, inventive & adaptive.  Mainly kept sheep and cattle; evidence of cultivated crops, mainly barley; considerable evidence of seafood.

"and what connection did they have with the peoples who went on to create ancient Egypt?"  None. 

"What knowledge did they share with the ancient African tribe the Dogon?"  None.

Where did they come from, and to where did they disappear?"  We'll probably never know.  But that's no reason to suppose any mystical origin or fate.  The population of Skara Brae is estimated at just a few score: they could simply have moved somewhere more hospitable and been absorbed into a wider population. 

"Examines the similarities between Skara Brae and Gobekli Tepe and how Skara Brae may have been a secondary center of learning for the ancient world."  The similarities are: they're built from stone (but not even the same rock which might indicate a connection: each site just used the local materials, sandstone for SB, limestone at GT); they're old (but 6000 years seperate their earliest constructions); both were abandoned and filled in (SB naturally by drifting sand, GT deliberately with gravel).  As for a centre of learning?  Ten huts nestled amongst a thousand years' accumulated refuse... the Oxford of its time?

There is no archaeological, genetic or linguistic evidence that links Skara Brae, Gobekli Tepe, Ancient Egypt &/or the Dogons of Mali.  90% of this theory hinges on the fabulous story that the Dogons have known details about Sirius for thousands of years.  That is not true.  Sorry. 

The rest is routine badly-structured speculation to sell books, not academic or intellectual investigation.  e.g. He places the "clerical Papae and the pygmy-like Peti" in Stone-Age SB even though the earliest record of these peoples (Thormodus Torfæus, 1697)  places them in Orkney 3000 years later and is probably mythical.  He then links the 'clerical' Papae to the Dogon Hogons (spiritual leaders) because - well, priests, innit?  Pointless, puerile, lazy speculation.

OK cool, thanks for the input, I’ll take it on board.

• Thanks 1

Just now, The Puzzler said:

Won't matter much as the most southern star in Orion's Belt, as you have it laid out, which would represent Mintaka would fall within the English Channel and even circa 3180 - 2500 BC it would STILL be in the English Channel. 

cormac

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Won't matter much as the most southern star in Orion's Belt, as you have it laid out, which would represent Mintaka would fall within the English Channel and even circa 3180 - 2500 BC it would STILL be in the English Channel. 

cormac

Mintaka could be the Isle of Portland.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, The Puzzler said:

Mintaka could be the Isle of Portland.

Actually no, you're too far to the west. It would be off the point of Hengistbury Head Beach to the east. 

cormac

• Like 2

Now I’m getting somewhere.

The Winter Hexagon was believed by many Neolithic cultures – Sumerians, Egyptians, Chinese, Maya, and others - to be the cosmic womb and source of the spirit of life in the universe. The constellation of Orion is situated within the hexagon. Contemporary with culture(s) which built Stonehenge and the Palisade, Pre-dynastic and Early Dynastic Egypt believed Orion represented Osiris, psycho pomp of the dead in the Duat, receiver and protector of the spirit of each pharaoh. The pharaoh’s spirit travelled from Earth to Orion via spirit road, the Milky Way from Sirius to Capella.”

https://www.ancient-origins.net/ancient-places-europe/was-orion-heavenly-overlord-stonehenge-008700

Thornborough Henges

27102E57-07FE-4F7D-BB54-91E95470FE9B.jpeg

Edited by The Puzzler

Any 3 objects, roughly equidistant apart, and in an almost, but not quite, straight line, could be said to represent the 3 main stars of Orion's belt - or, indeed, any other random three stars ......   It's quite obvious though that the Thornborough henges are aligned as a representation of 3 trees in my local park.   Or, possibly, with any 3 random churches you choose to pick.

btw the Giza a pyramids do not represent Orion's belt either - else the smaller one would be almost the same size as the other two.   QED.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

4 hours ago, The Puzzler said:

Let's all help Puzzler find her missing henges!

My theory this morning: when Henry VIII smashed up all the monasteries he also had thousands of ancient sites bulldozed away*.  The new church authorities then destroyed all records of their existence.  And all records of the destruction of the records.  Then the people who destroyed the records were killed, etc

Consequently we can take any point in Britain and it's impossible to say "there never was a henge there" so, according to our low standard of logic, there probably was one.  Anywhere you want it to be.  And hey presto! an exact map of Orion! and every other constellation, island group, double helix or da Vinci Code you're looking for.  Proof that our ancient ancestors knew everything.**

* Maybe millions.  We'll never know.

** This is my kooky idea so my book - hands off Claddy!

• Haha 3

“As mentioned above, I had always wondered about the layout of the three henges in Orkney’s World Heritage Site – the Standing Stones o’ Stenness, the Ring o’ Brodgar and Ring o’ Bookan.

Indeed, anyone looking at a map of the area would spot one apparent link immediately. Overlay the stars of Orion’s Belt over a map of the Ness and you get a matching layout (see right)

The distance ratios between Bookan and Stenness fit perfectly, although the middle star is slightly out over Brodgar. This is not that surprising, however. If the layout is not mere coincidence, the prehistoric observer could reasonably measure the distance ration between the stars, but not the minute angle involved.”

https://frontiersmagazine.org/on-earth-as-it-is-in-heaven-was-orion-linked-to-orkneys-neolithic-heartland/

From the Ring o’ Bookan, looking down across the Ness o’ Brodgar, the Stones o’ Stenness are almost exactly south-east (actually a few degrees to the south).

A prehistoric observer standing at Bookan, at midwinter, would see the giant Orion rising over the Stenness monument (see illustration right).

So, for example, were we sitting at Bookan at midwinter 2500BC (which by our calendar would be January 9), Orion’s belt would appear above the south-eastern horizon, in the gap between the Firth and Orphir hills, around 4.30pm. Orion’s rising would be followed shortly afterwards by the appearance of the star Sirius, one of the brightest objects in the night sky.”

So Orkney, where Skara Brae is, as per my interpretation of it being connected to Sirius, does have a possible Orion pattern within its henges….maybe they are not missing at all.

Then, around 3000BC, when the three henges at Thornborough were constructed, they appear to have been deliberately laid out to mirror Orion’s Belt. Not only this, but their southern entrances framed the rising of the bright star, Sirius, which in turn meant their axis aligned on the midwinter solstice.”

Edited by The Puzzler

I'm waiting for you to start about Sardinia and its "nuraghi". But maybe even better: the Sardinian Ozieri culture that may have created a ziggurat (Monte d'Accoddi) that's as old as the oldest ziggurat in what's now Iran.

This in relation with Orion, btw.

Edited by Abramelin