Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Girl Guides of Canada replace 'Brownies' with 'Embers' after concerns raised

Still Waters

The Girl Guides of Canada (GGC) tweeted on Wednesday that "embers are full of potential and when they work together, they can ignite a powerful flame!"

The group said in November that the old name had caused "harm" to some minority members, and kept girls from joining.

In a statement on its website, the GGC said the new name will help to create "a more inclusive space where all girls in Canada can feel welcome and proud to belong in Girl Guides".

Girls aged seven and eight will now become "Embers", as the new name is phased in over the coming months and fully adopted by September, the GGC said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/brownies-name-changed-to-embers-in-canada-to-stop-girls-experiencing-racism/ar-AA16fX68

https://news.sky.com/story/girl-guides-canadian-brownies-to-be-renamed-embers-to-be-more-inclusive-and-stop-girls-experiencing-racism-12784937

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

OMG how stupid.  They are named after helpful fairies.  Maybe before reading racism into everything people should investigate before rushing into change.

d9tyed3-6d99d5c4-73ec-428e-beab-eea6b88d 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, OverSword said:

They are named after helpful fairies

When I was young I thought they were named after the baked confection.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Just now, Likely Guy said:

That would have been my guess too I think.  I found out the truth in todays modern age of rapid access information in about 10 seconds.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, OverSword said:

That would have been my guess too I think.  I found out the truth in todays modern age of rapid access information in about 10 seconds.

I for one, like the new name.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

I like the old.  It's cute and keeps a nice tradition. 

The new one reminds me of corporate propaganda that uses lame slogans we can all cheer for to appease middle management.  A few years ago we had this big campaign called 212 about making that extra effort.  At 211 degrees (fahrenheit)  water is only hot but give it that extra degree and it will boil and has the power to move trains.  They handed out pamphlets with 212 slogans, cup warming sleeves, stickers, included it in our email signatures, etc.  Pathetic.

high-quality-emoji-isolated-on-260nw-170

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I like the old.  The new one reminds me of corporate propaganda.  A few years ago we had this big campaign called 212 about making that extra effort.  At 211 degrees (fahrenheit)  water is only hot but give it that extra degree and it will boil and has the power to move trains.  

So, what happened to the campaign? 210 I assume?

• Haha 2

Political Correctness gone crazy!!!!!

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, Paranoid Android said:

Political Correctness gone crazy!!!!!

First you're a Spark then you're an Ember.

Big deal, get over it.

Edit: Sell me cookies!

Edited by Likely Guy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Likely Guy said:

First you're a Spark then you're an Ember.

Big deal, get over it.

Edit: Sell me cookies!

Sorry,  don't have any cookies to sell.  I've only got chocolate brownies, and I don't want to be accused of racism if I sold them to you!

The Dark Side doesn't care what type of baked sugary goods you have :ph34r:

Edited by Paranoid Android
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The younger boy scouts are cub scouts it flowed to a degree younger girl scouts were brownies never made any sense to me but who cares? And break out the tin foil fedoras for those who thinks "embers" sounds lol corporate propaganda embers isnt bad but seems spare of the moment seems a cool contest where members picked the new name would have been fun.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OverSword said:

They are named after helpful fairies.  Maybe before reading racism into everything people should investigate before rushing into change.

This reminds me of a university professor from a decade or so ago.  He used the word "niggardly" and lost his job.  Isn't our education system grand?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

I remember reading that Robert Louis Stevenson referred to his creative process as being reliant on his own "Brownies" that came to him in dreams.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, and-then said:

I remember reading that Robert Louis Stevenson referred to his creative process as being reliant on his own "Brownies" that came to him in dreams.

Yeah, i dont think he meant jr girl scouts but rather the little elf type creatures,

I am not sure which came first for me i was young in the early 70s and found a bottle same as this under our house.

R.abad56439b573b2e5dfbb93d183bd0ce?rik=N

It was a yoohoo type drink, we also had an old Christmas tree decoration of a brown suited elf, my grandmother told me they were brownie elves something to the effect brownies were of i believe Scottish lore they would come out at night and help out around the house.

I wouldnt mind a bunch of elves cleaning up my house.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Still Waters said:

The Girl Guides of Canada (GGC) tweeted on Wednesday that "embers are full of potential and when they work together, they can ignite a powerful flame!"

The group said in November that the old name had caused "harm" to some minority members, and kept girls from joining.

In a statement on its website, the GGC said the new name will help to create "a more inclusive space where all girls in Canada can feel welcome and proud to belong in Girl Guides".

Girls aged seven and eight will now become "Embers", as the new name is phased in over the coming months and fully adopted by September, the GGC said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/brownies-name-changed-to-embers-in-canada-to-stop-girls-experiencing-racism/ar-AA16fX68

https://news.sky.com/story/girl-guides-canadian-brownies-to-be-renamed-embers-to-be-more-inclusive-and-stop-girls-experiencing-racism-12784937

Just more of the left taking words away from us.   

Soon baking brownies in gas ovens will be obsolete in lefty Utopia.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, odas said:

Just the left? C'mon man.

Demi Lovato poster banned for being offensive to Christians

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/business-64214750.amp

Mostly the left for certain.   They tell me I cannot use the OK sign.  They don't want the word "fields" used at a certain university.  The list goes on and on.  Truly offensive terms can be banned, but searching for words too make up an offensive story shouldn't happen or be encouraged.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2023 at 9:26 AM, Likely Guy said:

So then the next step would be flames, then the teenagers would be called forest fire?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Myles said:

Mostly the left for certain.   They tell me I cannot use the OK sign.  They don't want the word "fields" used at a certain university.  The list goes on and on.  Truly offensive terms can be banned, but searching for words too make up an offensive story shouldn't happen or be encouraged.

Nit quiet. The left is out to bann words, names, stereotipes....so the list is long.

The right banns entire topics, books..so the list looks smaller but in reality the list is much longer.

You bann CRT you bann every single word in it, not just a few.

That, my friend, is the difference.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Brownie is featured in their regalia. …..and I’m pretty sure that dude is white, 

D0F420E1-89EB-4E54-8C33-5C99ED20E8C0.thumb.jpeg.3b29ce331778b02fb96e363a535b6736.jpeg

Edited by el midgetron

On 1/13/2023 at 2:55 PM, Paranoid Android said:

Sorry,  don't have any cookies to sell.  I've only got chocolate brownies, and I don't want to be accused of racism if I sold them to you!

The Dark Side doesn't care what type of baked sugary goods you have :ph34r:

I bet you don't. 

• Confused 1

On 1/13/2023 at 2:40 AM, OverSword said:

The new one reminds me of corporate propaganda that uses lame slogans we can all cheer for to appease middle management.  A few years ago we had this big campaign called 212 about making that extra effort.  At 211 degrees (fahrenheit)  water is only hot but give it that extra degree and it will boil and has the power to move trains.  They handed out pamphlets with 212 slogans, cup warming sleeves, stickers, included it in our email signatures, etc.  Pathetic.

Simply call them guides.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, el midgetron said:

The Brownie is featured in their regalia. …..and I’m pretty sure that dude is white, 

D0F420E1-89EB-4E54-8C33-5C99ED20E8C0.thumb.jpeg.3b29ce331778b02fb96e363a535b6736.jpeg

According to folklore, Brownies are brown skinned.

On 1/12/2023 at 8:40 AM, OverSword said:

Brownies as well as other fae folk were not generally benevolent, more like chaotic neutral D&D characters.  Your brownie daughter might clean your house and mow your lawn while you are asleep if she is in a good mood.  Or if you irritated her, you might wake up with your feet on backwards. :devil: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4