Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Key events in the Biden classified documents probe: Updated timeline

Grim Reaper 6

13 hours ago, Tiggs said:

I'm not aware of any law requiring someone to open a box in any timescale.

The Federal Statute of Limitations, however, is generally five years. May be too late to prosecute, even if they have a case, unless some of the documents are from the current White House.

Statute of limitations applies to Federal security issues? I don't know, so I'll go look around.

Edit:

I found this...

https://www.justice.gov/archives/jm/criminal-resource-manual-650-length-limitations-period

If any of these apply then the Statute of Limitations would be ten years. 

Section 3291 of Title 18 provides that prosecutions for violations of nationality, citizenship, and passport laws, or a conspiracy to violate such laws, shall be commenced within ten years after the commission of the offense. Section 19 of the Internal Security Act of 1950, 64 Stat. 1005, provides a ten-year limitations period for prosecutions under the espionage statutes, 18 U.S.C. Secs. 792 to 794.

Section 2278 of Title 42 provides a similar ten-year period for prosecution of restricted data offenses under the atomic energy laws, 42 U.S.C. Secs. 2274 to 2276.

Section 783(e) of Title 50 provides that a prosecution for an offense under that section, part of the Subversive Activities Control Act, shall be instituted within ten years after the commission of the offense.

I think proving any of those might be hard without some proof of hostile intent. So, the standard five year is probably what applies.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Statute of limitations applies to Federal security issues? I don't know, so I'll go look around.

Here DieChecker this may help: 

18 U.S. Code § 1924 - Unauthorized removal and retention of classified documents or material 

U.S. Code

(a)

Whoever, being an officer, employee, contractor, or consultant of the United States, and, by virtue of his office, employment, position, or contract, becomes possessed of documents or materials containing classified information of the United States, knowingly removes such documents or materials without authority and with the intent to retain such documents or materials at an unauthorized location shall be fined under this title or imprisoned for not more than five years, or both.

(b)

For purposes of this section, the provision of documents and materials to the Congress shall not constitute an offense under subsection (a).

(c)

In this section, the term “classified information of the United States” means information originated, owned, or possessed by the United States Government concerning the national defense or foreign relations of the United States that has been determined pursuant to law or Executive order to require protection against unauthorized disclosure in the interests of national security.

(Added Pub. L. 103–359, title VIII, § 808(a), Oct. 14, 1994, 108 Stat. 3453; amended Pub. L. 107–273, div. B, title IV, § 4002(d)(1)(C)(i), Nov. 2, 2002, 116 Stat. 1809; Pub. L. 115–118, title II, § 202, Jan. 19, 2018, 132 Stat. 19.)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1924

cormac

• Like 2

Apparently several more documents were found at another Biden home, just this week.

NPR: Here's what we know about the classified documents found at Biden's home and office.
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/14/1149071576/biden-classified-documents-what-we-know

Breaking News Update, 12:14 p.m. ET Saturday: The White House lawyer leading the response to the classified documents found at President Biden's home and office said on Saturday that five more pages of classified material had been found in Biden's Wilmington residence.

Richard Sauber said he found the pages on Thursday evening when he was working with DOJ officials to hand over what the White House had described as one final page of classified material.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

@Tiggs Do you believe some of Reapers posts would count as Ad Hominim?

Mods don't moderate threads they're taking part in.

We have been known to press the report button occasionally, though,

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Apparently several more documents were found at another Biden home, just this week.

NPR: Here's what we know about the classified documents found at Biden's home and office.
https://www.npr.org/2023/01/14/1149071576/biden-classified-documents-what-we-know

That’s not good. 

DC I think you’re going to find there is no hard and fast rule concerning a Statute of Limitations on classified documents as there are STILL classified documents from WWII. 

cormac

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DieChecker said:

That really does show either a lack of critical thinking on Joe’s part or a sign that he’s not firing on all thrusters… if you’ve been busted once twice several times with documents that should be kept on other locations, surely you’d have a top to bottom search of everywhere and then a shredding party? Especially as you’ve known since November that people are looking into you. 

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

That really does show either a lack of critical thinking on Joe’s part or a sign that he’s not firing on all thrusters… if you’ve been busted once twice several times with documents that should be kept on other locations, surely you’d have a top to bottom search of everywhere and then a shredding party? Especially as you’ve known since November that people are looking into you. 

You'd think so. Unless they thought they wouldn't get checked. After the November papers were known to the media, they didn't confess to the December papers... Probably because they hoped it wouldn't come out. Or, at least not so fast. Now these third set of papers comes to light, and it shows that even after a month plus of time to go look and get ahead, they didn't do so. Thus, IMHO, they thought no one would bother to go look. Because they had already told the FBI where to go look.

Which just confirms my opinion that the FBI should be looking where the FBI suspects documents might be, not where "Read this Card" Joe suggests to go look. THOUGH to be fair, cooperation is very appreciated. I hope he cooperates with the Special Counsel in his investigation.

In my opinion, one thing that is obvious is this is not a case of a intern collecting random papers and putting them in Joe's Garage. We have documents from an out of town office. A home office. A garage. And another home office. I would find the idea unusual to say that these are all just cases of documents getting lost and wrongfully kept. If it was just the one location, I'd buy that argument a lot easier.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

In my opinion, one thing that is obvious is this is not a case of a intern collecting random papers and putting them in Joe's Garage. We have documents from an out of town office. A home office. A garage. And another home office. I would find the idea unusual to say that these are all just cases of documents getting lost and wrongfully kept. If it was just the one location, I'd buy that argument a lot easier.

Yeah. 3 separate days 3 separate reports of Biden classified documents found. Indeed a patern has formed. Not just with Biden but with how it's being reported from MSM based on the whole timeline and what info was given from the White House and Justice Department.  Something doesn't quite add up. Not sure what. Just seems like there is more to the story than what has so far been told. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Yeah. 3 separate days 3 separate reports of Biden classified documents found. Indeed a patern has formed. Not just with Biden but with how it's being reported from MSM based on the whole timeline and what info was given from the White House and Justice Department.  Something doesn't quite add up. Not sure what. Just seems like there is more to the story than what has so far been told. 

It just seems scripted somehow.

• Like 2

On 1/13/2023 at 9:00 AM, Desertrat56 said:

If he didn't fill out the paperwork to declassify them, he did NOT declassify them, and now he has no authority to do so.   You really are so polarized in your political beliefs, it makes you blind to a lot that actually goes on.  

I disagree.  As do quite a few Constitutional SCHOLARS.  Your argument essentially says that unelected bureaucrats have the power to deny a chief executive the privilege of declassifying on the spur of the moment.  SCOTUS will eventually rule on this question.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 9:00 AM, Desertrat56 said:

and now he has no authority to do so

I did not make the argument that he did, today.  Those documents were moved while he was still POTUS.  The fact will eventually be adjudicated but one thing IS CERTAIN... Biden NEVER had the power to declassify prior to 1/20/20.  All of the current documents we are discussing were taken from a secure facility either by him or on his orders.  Of that, there is no dispute so he has definitely opened himself to felony charges.

11 hours ago, cormac mac airt said:

If it could ever be shown that Biden had any knowledge of said documents prior to the news then he should be held just as responsible for his F/U as Trump should be held for his. 

cormac

It seems he may have already admitted as much by acknowledging the presence of the documents in his garage with his car.  He even went so far as to publicly imply that those docs weren't at risk because his garage was locked.  Bottom line seems to be that if Trump is charged and Biden isn't there will be a lot of the fence sitters who may well see they hypocrisy in that decision. I'm more interested in the content and choice of which docs were found.  Ukraine sets off alarm bells since we already know of Hunter's "job opportunities", but Iran and the UK?  

Oh well, at least when the DC two-step kicks into gear, we'll have a chance to point out the blatant hypocrisy and double standards at work.

5 minutes ago, and-then said:

It seems he may have already admitted as much by acknowledging the presence of the documents in his garage with his car.  He even went so far as to publicly imply that those docs weren't at risk because his garage was locked.  Bottom line seems to be that if Trump is charged and Biden isn't there will be a lot of the fence sitters who may well see they hypocrisy in that decision. I'm more interested in the content and choice of which docs were found.  Ukraine sets off alarm bells since we already know of Hunter's "job opportunities", but Iran and the UK?  

Oh well, at least when the DC two-step kicks into gear, we'll have a chance to point out the blatant hypocrisy and double standards at work.

Which is a load of horse-**** on his part since his garage is not an approved facility for storing classified documents or material and still therefore a security violation. 

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 4

I wonder if there is any personal significance to these files or are they just bits of homework the dolt left laying around?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DieChecker said:

You'd think so. Unless they thought they wouldn't get checked. After the November papers were known to the media, they didn't confess to the December papers... Probably because they hoped it wouldn't come out. Or, at least not so fast. Now these third set of papers comes to light, and it shows that even after a month plus of time to go look and get ahead, they didn't do so. Thus, IMHO, they thought no one would bother to go look. Because they had already told the FBI where to go look.

Which just confirms my opinion that the FBI should be looking where the FBI suspects documents might be, not where "Read this Card" Joe suggests to go look. THOUGH to be fair, cooperation is very appreciated. I hope he cooperates with the Special Counsel in his investigation.

If there are papers at his home, I think the defence of blaming aides is untenable.  It's all Joe's fault.

Get on with sanctioning him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was watching a segment on the news earlier where a Democrat was asked their take on the situation and they essentially said it was likely that an aide, while boxing up one location, probably saw a bunch of papers lying around on a table and shuffled them all together throwing them into the same box/es.  If true that’s a security violation right there as  classified documents shouldn’t be left laying around and there’s no evidence that an aide or aides had the requisite clearance for handling the documents to begin with. 

Interesting how when Trump does it it’s “oh my God the sky is falling” but when Biden is in charge “it’s an accident and happens all the time”. :rolleyes:

No, I’m not a Trump supporter. BOTH sides are crooked as hell. 

cormac

• Like 7

20 hours ago, and-then said:

It seems he may have already admitted as much by acknowledging the presence of the documents in his garage with his car.  He even went so far as to publicly imply that those docs weren't at risk because his garage was locked.  Bottom line seems to be that if Trump is charged and Biden isn't there will be a lot of the fence sitters who may well see they hypocrisy in that decision.

Once again, not all classified documents must remain in a SCIF.  So there is a difference.  And there is a process to declassify documents.  That process legally has to be followed.  Why?  Because those documents exist elsewhere still under their classified status.  That is illegal, because the American people have a right to declassified documents.

53 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

Or it's by design. Perhaps it was always going to happen. Maybe he spoiled the plan and they came up with something else although the documents are a more disgraceful approach.

15 minutes ago, F3SS said:

Or it's by design. Perhaps it was always going to happen. Maybe he spoiled the plan and they came up with something else although the documents are a more disgraceful approach.

Yeah, I don’t think the handling of the documents themselves are going to take down Biden. Unless the documents implicate Joe in further crimes. Which sort of negates the suggestion of that Tweet. 

• Like 2

Just pointing out the FBI invited media to Florida to report on the documents being found on the same day as the raid.

The FBI also kept Bidens documents secret for 2 months, (Not to mention the laptop fiasco) while illegally suppressing free expression of Americans online using legal speech (1st amendment anyone?).

Is there any doubt the FBI needs to be abolished? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Knob Oddy said:

Just pointing out the FBI invited media to Florida to report on the documents being found on the same day as the raid.

The FBI also kept Bidens documents secret for 2 months, (Not to mention the laptop fiasco) while illegally suppressing free expression of Americans online using legal speech (1st amendment anyone?).

I don't think it needs abolished. It need revamped a depoliticized.

On 1/14/2023 at 6:10 AM, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Ok, you offer wonderful opinions, but frankly I don’t believe anything you say without a reputable sources to back it up,:yes:

Here, again I honestly do care what your opinion is at all, because you seriously provide proof your ignorant on this topic: 

MaCarthy is a liar, and talking about BS, well you bought that BS and are regurgitating it by making you comments abive. McCarthy submitted 5 member of the GOP, Pelosi asked to have 2 of 5 replaced, in stead of replacing them Mcarthy picked up his toys and stomped out sucking his lower lip and stomping his feet.

All, the figgen idiot had to was replace two GOP members instead numb nuts pulls all GOP MEMBERS and then becomes BUTT HURT and says the process is nit fair because the GOP didn’t have say, well who’s shoulders does that lay on. I would recommend you understand the facts before you respond to my posts in the future, if you expect me to respond  ack to you.

Because from now on, I will  not respond to you comments, by reply or by post because I have asked you to provide sources and incapable of providing them, so I can only assume either you don’t know how to find them or you don’t understand the simplest aspects of etiquette. Either, way again I will not quote you and please don’t respond to me unless you can provide a source to supiport you comments.

Pelosi explains why she would not except those two individuals, but she doesn’t say they could not be replaced!

McCarty tells his story, but what didn’t Numb Nuts just replace them with two?

Wait, you need a source to know every member of the committee hated Trump? And before I even respond you aren’t going to talk to me anymore cause you asked for a source, again without even giving a chance for me to provide one? Awesome. 

What a night I’m having. First the Giants win their first playoff game in years. And I no longer have to read your responses to me anymore? I’ll consider that a huge plus. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Wait, you need a source to know every member of the committee hated Trump? And before I even respond you aren’t going to talk to me anymore cause you asked for a source, again without even giving a chance for me to provide one? Awesome…..

What a night I’m having. First the Giants win their first playoff game in years. And I no longer have to read your responses to me anymore? I’ll consider that a huge plus. 

You are annual retentive dude, man whoever changed your diapers when you were a baby certainly did you wrong.:lol:

20 hours ago, Knob Oddy said:

Just poining out you are wrting fan fiction.

Edited by Golden Duck