Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is it ethical to hunt captive lions?

Still Waters

In South Africa, the big cats are raised to be killed by hunters. Opponents are outraged, but advocates point to conservation benefits.

Lions are big business in South Africa. Ecotourism generates some $2.4 billion in annual revenue. Tourists typically visit to go on safari—Kruger National Park, home to some 2,000 wild lions, is the continent’s most popular wildlife park—and the number one animal on the checklist is the iconic, majestic, wild lion.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/ethical-hunt-captive-lions-180981292/

Long Read

• Sad 2

It's not ethical to hunt anything captive. On top of the fact that these 21st Century hunters use all kinds of high-tech crap and ATVs.

They might as well play a hunting video game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Piney said:

21st Century hunters

There self motivated cowards. They seek the "trophy" to gain some sort of recognition for there kill which points towards insecurity issues at the expense of the animal. Its not difficult to be put in position for the shot. Once there aligning the sights and pulling the trigger takes about as much intelligence as a brick. Guns and money have the same thing in common. When placed in the hands of individuals it gives them this false sense of power that they fail to recognize and eliminate. Something will always pay the price for this oversight

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hunting anything captive isn't really much of a "hunt" though, is it?  I have little respect for anyone who kills captive creature and calls it "hunting."

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, khol said:

There self motivated cowards. They seek the "trophy" to gain some sort of recognition for there kill which points towards insecurity issues at the expense of the animal. Its not difficult to be put in position for the shot. Once there aligning the sights and pulling the trigger takes about as much intelligence as a brick. Guns and money have the same thing in common. When placed in the hands of individuals it gives them this false sense of power that they fail to recognize and eliminate. Something will always pay the price for this oversight

Josh Hawley-Tucker Carlson manhood.....meh....

I do all the shopping and cooking and help with the cleaning. Why?

I was a paid scout for Corporate Measures subconing for the SAS, fought in a logging and prison fight club and compete in sporting events and carve home decor with a 90cc chainsaw. 

No suburban ******* can out manhood that......

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Piney said:

Josh Hawley-Tucker Carlson manhood.....meh....

I do all the shopping and cooking and help with the cleaning. Why?

I was a paid scout for Corporate Measures subconing for the SAS, fought in a logging and prison fight club and compete in sporting events and carve home decor with a 90cc chainsaw. 

No suburban ******* can out manhood that......

I dunno, all the gangs at school wanted me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff :D

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HSlim said:

I dunno, all the gangs at school wanted me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff :D

When my stepfather called @Commander CMG and told him they were putting me in the gang max he said "Meh, he'll be fine."

Are they breeding lions to be released into the wild or are they being raised in penned cages to be shot later? Story kind of vague. I am not against breeding animals to be released into the wild as many fisheries around the world do the same to stock lakes and ponds with game fishes. I would not be comfortable shooting a lion in a cage. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Tonedog45 said:

Are they breeding lions to be released into the wild or are they being raised in penned cages to be shot later? Story kind of vague. I am not against breeding animals to be released into the wild as many fisheries around the world do the same to stock lakes and ponds with game fishes. I would not be comfortable shooting a lion in a cage. 

Usually a fenced in area, not necessarily in a cage (I believe).  Texas does the same thing with deer.  Had a guy brag to me about shooting a big piebald buck near the Dallas area a few years back so I had him take me to his hunting grounds.... turned out it was a fenced in pen about the size of 2 football fields put together with some scattered patches of trees. If you're going to take the life of an animal, whether for food or sport, you at least respect that animal enough to give it a fighting chance of escape.   Fishing in a stocked lake or pond feels a little different for me, mainly because that fish is still able to avoid the hook just as it would in any other closed body of water.  Just my thoughts

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, HSlim said:

whether for food or sport, you at least respect that animal enough to give it a fighting chance of escape.

I understand when its needed for food and humanely done.Good populations of deer in BC. Lots of moose. But shooting an animal for sport is hardly respecting the animal..

• Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, khol said:

I understand when its needed for food and humanely done.Good populations of deer in BC. Lots of moose. But shooting an animal for sport is hardly respecting the animal..

No I agree, I don't think sport hunting is respectful in anyway whatsoever.  But IF you're going to hunt for sport, at least give the animal a chance.  Otherwise, it's not sport, it's execution.

Edited by HSlim
  • Thanks 3

19 minutes ago, HSlim said:

Usually a fenced in area, not necessarily in a cage (I believe).  Texas does the same thing with deer.  Had a guy brag to me about shooting a big piebald buck near the Dallas area a few years back so I had him take me to his hunting grounds.... turned out it was a fenced in pen about the size of 2 football fields put together with some scattered patches of trees. If you're going to take the life of an animal, whether for food or sport, you at least respect that animal enough to give it a fighting chance of escape.   Fishing in a stocked lake or pond feels a little different for me, mainly because that fish is still able to avoid the hook just as it would in any other closed body of water.  Just my thoughts

I was mocking a group of Philly firefighters who went on a pig hunt in a fenced area with AR15s. 

I kept calling them their "Bushmaster Build-a-Bears" and tried to get one to pick up my 661 chainsaw and start it. No takers.....

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, HSlim said:

No I agree, I don't think sport hunting is respectful in anyway whatsoever.  But IF you're going to hunt for sport, at least give the animal a chance.  Otherwise, it's not sport, it's execution.

Take no unnecessary life is the Indian rule.

• Thanks 3

Just now, Piney said:

I was mocking a group of Philly firefighters who went on a pig hunt in a fenced area with AR15s. 

I kept calling them their "Bushmaster Build-a-Bears" and tried to get one to pick up my 661 chainsaw and start it. No takers.....

At this particular place, it was probably possible to walk up and beat a deer to death with your bare hands because it had nowhere to go. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

Take no unnecessary life is the Indian rule.

Absolutely agree, and every part should be used.  I also believe in thanking any animal you've taken for food. 

Edited by HSlim
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

You were more than a Scout Brother, what about the rest ;):gun:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HSlim said:

I dunno, all the gangs at school wanted me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff

I liked the staff but preferred the escrima sticks. My hand to hand weapon of choice would always be a knife. 

Edited by Commander CMG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HSlim said:

Absolutely agree, and every part should be used.  I also believe in thanking any animal you've taken for food. 

It's not just animals. It's anything alive, including plants. 

Rather than throw out the garden center plants we find homes for them or plant them in one of the yards.

That's why traditional natives are chagrined at vegans.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Piney said:

When my stepfather called @Commander CMG and told him they were putting me in the gang max he said "Meh, he'll be fine."

I also said, god help them :lol: Its the Justice systems way of teaching them a lesson.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Commander CMG said:

You were more than a Scout Brother, what about the rest ;):gun:

Because it would be more unbelievable than a DC or Marvel movie. :unsure2:

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Commander CMG said:

I liked the staff but preferred the escrima sticks. My hand to hand weapon of choice would always be a knife. 

Oh I was just quoting Napoleon Dynamite and joking.  A knife has always been my hand to hand choice but more in a street situation as I've never beein involved in any martial arts and never been in the military. I buy their weaponry and supplies but I've never enlisted.  As for the knife I just had to learn to fight with one because I was always the smaller kid in a school full of *******s

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HSlim said:

Oh I was just quoting Napoleon Dynamite and joking.  A knife has always been my hand to hand choice but more in a street situation as I've never been in the military. I buy their weaponry and supplies but I've never enlisted.

I'm Sheffield kukri happy. As soon as I learned how to use them I hung my jians and tomahawks up.

I'm 2 handed and always had a pair on raids.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I'm Sheffield kukri happy. As soon as I learned how to use them I hung my jians and tomahawks up.

I'm 2 handed and always had a pair on raids.

I usually stuck with a K Bar, but I was really using it more as an attempt to dissuade a fight.  Did have to finish one with it once. No fatalities or anything but I left him one hell of a reminder

Edited by HSlim
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, HSlim said:

I usually stuck with a K Bar, but I was really using it more as an attempt to dissuade a fight.  Did have to finish one with it once. No fatalities or anything but I left him one hell of a reminder

I liked to have the power cut, turn on the IF goggles, throw a popper into a room and make beef cubes along with the Gurkha troopers. 

It worked out well because I'm as short as they are. :yes:

• Haha 1