Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Democrats push to amend Constitution so 16-year-olds can vote

el midgetron

More than a dozen House Democrats this week proposed an amendment to the Constitution to allow 16-year-olds to vote in an apparent attempt to make it easier to enact left-leaning policies like gun control and pro-environmental measures.

Democratic Rep. Grace Meng of New York introduced a resolution that would do away with the 26th Amendment to the Constitution, which allows U.S. citizens to vote if they are at least 18 years of age. The resolution would replace that with new language that says: "The right of citizens of the United States, who are sixteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Meng hadn’t released a statement on her proposal by early Thursday afternoon. But she released a statement in the last Congress, indicating a belief that lowering the voting age by amending the Constitution would let younger people have a say on many of the positions supported by Democrats.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-push-amend-constitution-16-year-olds-vote

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Buzz_Light_Year said:

Ah heck no. Let's raise it to at least 21.

Interesting enough, it used to be 21. From the article -

“The 26th Amendment lowered the voting age from 21 to 18 and was ratified in 1971, in part due to pressure from the Vietnam War that saw a large number of teenagers drafted to fight overseas even though they could not vote.”

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

More than a dozen House Democrats this week proposed an amendment to the Constitution to allow 16-year-olds to vote in an apparent attempt to make it easier to enact left-leaning policies like gun control and pro-environmental measures.

Democratic Rep. Grace Meng of New York introduced a resolution that would do away with the 26th Amendment to the Constitution, which allows U.S. citizens to vote if they are at least 18 years of age. The resolution would replace that with new language that says: "The right of citizens of the United States, who are sixteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Meng hadn’t released a statement on her proposal by early Thursday afternoon. But she released a statement in the last Congress, indicating a belief that lowering the voting age by amending the Constitution would let younger people have a say on many of the positions supported by Democrats.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/democrats-push-amend-constitution-16-year-olds-vote

Yep, no doubt she is right.  A lot of young people already support Democratic positions, many 16 year old kids probably would too.  It would be another blow to the Republicans no doubt. Not a snowballs chance of passing though.

I was going to say I am not  sure they have the maturity and wisdom to vote at 16, but many current voters do not have those qualities either.  On the positive side, 16 year olds that take civics classes probably know more about the Constitution and how government runs that some of the people currently in Congress.

Still, since 18 seems to be the age of majority for the draft, for alcohol in many states, and gun ownership too, that seems like a reasonable cut-off for voting.  I think my kid was smart enough at 16 but he did not give a rip about politics and would not have spent any time informing himself.  He did know the civics part, just not the current personalities or issues.

But it is another great issue to get worked up about isn't it.  Anger aerobics.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, el midgetron said:

This is unequivocally a vote grab attempt by the Dems, but it can't work, as it would also require 16 y/os to have legal employment, pay tax, and go to prison.  No representation without taxation.  Frankly I'm not against the idea.  There are plenty of 16 y/o criminals who should go to "real jail", and others who would be better off in the workforce than in school.  As for giving these youngsters the vote, well I know how seriously I took the matter of being properly politically informed when I was 18, so I don't think they will be any worse as voters than plenty of disinterested fortysomethings I know.  Also, we need better gun legislation, and I say this as a person who owns and loves to use my many guns.  We also need better environmental protections.  The problem is that the GOP is too extreme atm.  I won't vote for the Far Right scum they are fielding.  Rather than leading the debate and getting reforms the country needs, rather than stupid knee-jerk ideological policies courtesy of the extreme left, the GOP is far more interested in starting a civil war, which is the last thing any country needs.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Alchopwn said:

This is unequivocally a vote grab attempt by the Dems, but it can't work, as it would also require 16 y/os to have legal employment, pay tax, and go to prison.  No representation without taxation.  Frankly I'm not against the idea.  There are plenty of 16 y/o criminals who should go to "real jail", and others who would be better off in the workforce than in school.  As for giving these youngsters the vote, well I know how seriously I took the matter of being properly politically informed when I was 18, so I don't think they will be any worse as voters than plenty of disinterested fortysomethings I know.  Also, we need better gun legislation, and I say this as a person who owns and loves to use my many guns.  We also need better environmental protections.  The problem is that the GOP is too extreme atm.  I won't vote for the Far Right scum they are fielding.  Rather than leading the debate and getting reforms the country needs, rather than stupid knee-jerk ideological policies courtesy of the extreme left, the GOP is far more interested in starting a civil war, which is the last thing any country needs.

Its just a feel good.  It will not pass, probably not come to the floor, but consider this:

Somebody tosses out, hey lets let 16 year old citizens vote.   

A handful of people, maybe 4 or 5 from one  side say, "Yeah, good idea we like kids, we care about the environment," knowing full well they won't get the votes to pass this. Well at least they like and respect us the  young people say in 2024 when some of them turn 18 and vote.

Twenty warriors spring from the other side, each trying to make a name for themselves  and ready for battle. they shout, "No way, a 16 year old hasn't even worked at McDonalds yet.  What right do they have? What do they know anyway?  Most of them are lazy and ignorant, and besides climate change is a hoax!" also knowing full well not even all Democrats would vote for it  It will never pass.  Well they certainly don't respect us the young people say in 2024 when some of them turn 18 and vote.

And behold, the Democrats are already planning their strategy to defeat another red wave in 2024.:devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

And behold, the Democrats are already planning their strategy to defeat another red wave in 2024.:devil:

Noice.  Good analysis Tatetopa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Occult1 said:

Greta Thunberg approves.

How dare you… 

• Haha 5

39 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Just imagine all those tik tokers deciding  course of the country :P

Errrp........:unsure2:

• Like 1

I was able to understand the concepts necessary to vote, at 16. Given how long the wars lasted in the recent ME conflicts, it seems reasonable to allow a more youthful perspective, in advance of a possible draft situation. Plus, young people today are far more able to access the issues the nation is facing via their electronic devices.

It’s a very different world today, information access, wise.

1 hour ago, kartikg said:

8388BC92-F69E-4771-A23C-E7328D9AFB45.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kartikg said:

I mean, have you seen how letting 70/80 year olds run things is going?

I'd be alright with resolving international conflicts by the two presidents doing a tiktok challenge at this point...

• Haha 4

The Democrats trying to do something dumb again.  It's par for the course.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Lol. No thanks 

I think 16, is the proper age, this the age when teenagers are given legal ability to make life and death decisions that can effect other Americans for the first time, and what I am alluding too is the fact that they can receive a driver’s license and legally drive. Now, some are going to say look at how a 16 year old would abuse that privilege but, nothing can be further from truth as I will outline for 2020. I certainly support not based on bias or preconceived notions my thoughts are based upon polls and statistics. In addition, today most teenagers 16 - 29 are more knowledgeable and politically savvy than those 30 years and older

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( NHTSA) : https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/People/PeopleAllVictims.aspx

Teenage motor vehicle crash deaths year 2020 (Age) 16- 20 year old age groups total fatalities: 3121

Adult motor vehicle crash deaths year 2020 (Age) 20 - 74 year old age group’s total fatalities: 31222

HARVARD YOUTH POLL: https://iop.harvard.edu/youth-poll/spring-2021-harvard-youth-poll

D7436BBA-B7D2-4128-8E64-104D975F7D08.thumb.png.943444420c74b65ff0cb9ee0f1a1cd86.png

• Like 1

Ye luvs Ye Yea Yeah Ye... 

il_570xN.2690908325_28xv.jpg

~

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I think 16, is the proper age, this the age when teenagers are given legal ability to make life and death decisions that can effect other Americans for the first time, and what I am alluding too is the fact that they can receive a driver’s license and legally drive. Now, some are going to say look at how a 16 year old would abuse that privilege but, nothing can be further from truth as I will outline for 2020. I certainly support not based on bias or preconceived notions my thoughts are based upon polls and statistics. In addition, today most teenagers 16 - 29 are more knowledgeable and politically savvy than those 30 years and older

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( NHTSA) : https://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/People/PeopleAllVictims.aspx

Teenage motor vehicle crash deaths year 2020 (Age) 16- 20 year old age groups total fatalities: 3121

Adult motor vehicle crash deaths year 2020 (Age) 20 - 74 year old age group’s total fatalities: 31222

HARVARD YOUTH POLL: https://iop.harvard.edu/youth-poll/spring-2021-harvard-youth-poll

D7436BBA-B7D2-4128-8E64-104D975F7D08.thumb.png.943444420c74b65ff0cb9ee0f1a1cd86.png

I've seen 16 year olds drive.  They are not good at it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among teens ages 16–19 than among any other age group. Teen drivers in this age group have a fatal crash rate almost three times as high as drivers ages 20 and older per mile driven.2

https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html#:~:text=Who is Most at Risk,and older per mile driven.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I've seen 16 year olds drive.  They are not good at it.  

Well, that’s a parental problem not the 16 year olds, and the statistics bear out my comments completely. I don’t know how you were raised, but, my father allowed me to get a driving permit at 14 years old, in Missouri you can get one younger. By the time I was 16 years old I had driven at least 5000 - 10000 miles, when we went to Florida on vacation when I was 15 years old my dad kept ne drive there abd back. I aced both the written and driving tests the week I turned 16 years old and my dad bought me a nice 1966 Mustang with about 80,000 miles on it I loved that car!:yes:

I though that was normal, didn’t you raise you kids that way?

1 hour ago, Myles said:

The risk of motor vehicle crashes is higher among teens ages 16–19 than among any other age group. Teen drivers in this age group have a fatal crash rate almost three times as high as drivers ages 20 and older per mile driven.2

https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html#:~:text=Who is Most at Risk,and older per mile driven.

Risk and actually fatalities are different, but I will stick with source I trust the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( NHTSA) over any other source to be honest, every state reports to that National agency. What, your did talking into account in my opinion is the fact that 21 year old through 74 year olds die most frequently because They are drunk or high those same statistics don’t play out for teenagers. But, hey I believe what I believe and I am not changing my comments, and neither should you so let’s agree to disagree respectfully!:tu:

7 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Well, that’s a parental problem not the 16 year olds, and the statistics bear out my comments completely. I don’t know how you were raised, but, my father allowed me to get a driving permit at 14 years old, in Missouri you can get one younger. By the time I was 16 years old I had driven at least 5000 - 10000 miles, when we went to Florida on vacation when I was 15 years old my dad kept ne drive there abd back. I aced both the written and driving tests the week I turned 16 years old and my dad bought me a nice 1966 Mustang with about 80,000 miles on it I loved that car!:yes:

I though that was normal, didn’t you raise you kids that way?

I don't think they do.  16 year olds get in far more accidents.  We have enough accidents in politics, i don't want Tik Tok deciding elections.  

I let my daughters drive when they were 14.  Not alone and not on frequently traveled roads.  On back road where they could learn to drive a manual transmission.

• Like 4