Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Democrats push to amend Constitution so 16-year-olds can vote

el midgetron

1 hour ago, odas said:

Well, again, your post is misleading. According to your post the majority of drunk driving fatalities involved drunk teen drivers, 17%. So who caused the other 83% of the fatalities? Chicken?

If 17% of fatal accidents were caused by young teen drivers 16, 17, 18, 19 year olds, than 83% of the fatal accidents were caused by the older, more experienced road rage group, 20 and above.

I admit, I should have worded it differently.   The fact is that teens are more likely to be involved in a drunk driving fatality, by percentage, than someone over 20 years old.   By volume, of course more involve those 20 or over.  According to the NHTSA, teens are involved in fatal accidents at a higher rate than other ages.  

The term young driver refers to a person 15 to 20 years old operating a motor vehicle

Young drivers accounted for 8.5 percent of all drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2020. However, young drivers were only 5.1 percent of all licensed drivers in 2020.

Although people under 21 are legally prohibited from drinking alcohol, 29 percent of young drivers 15 to 20 years old who were killed in crashes in 2020 had blood alcohol concentrations (BACs) of .01 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or higher; 82 percent of those young drivers who had alcohol in their systems also had BACs of .08 g/dL or higher.

https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/813313

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

What the actual problem is, the data he supplied is 4 years older than mine, I use use accidents because that could be anything from a scratch to the loss of a mirror. I think the appropriate statistics to consider are fatality rates

Peace Bro!

Yep, and those are higher for teens. The fatality    Keep cherry picking data to ignore the truth.  *snip*

The number of crashes by driver age varies greatly. Some age groups are over-represented in crashes. Sixteen- to 19-year-olds represent 3.5% of licensed drivers, but account for 8.9% of drivers in all crashes and 6.0% of drivers in fatal crashes. Other age groups are under-represented. For example, drivers 65 to 74 account for 13.7% of licensed drivers, but represent only 6.9% of drivers in all crashes and 7.7% of drivers in fatal crashes.

The overall crash rate per 100,000 licensed drivers steadily decreases as driver age increases. The same trend is generally true regarding the fatal crash rate, with the exception of an increase among 75-and-older drivers.

Among the youngest drivers (under 25), the number of licensed drivers steadily increases from age 16 to 24, while the overall crash rate per 100,000 drivers steadily decreases. The fatal crash rate remains relatively flat from age 16 to 22 and starts decreasing for 24-year-old drivers.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehicle/overview/age-of-driver/

Edited by Saru
Removed derogatory personal remark
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Yep, and those are higher for teens. The fatality    Keep cherry picking data to ignore the truth.  It is what you are known for.   Sad individual you are.

The number of crashes by driver age varies greatly. Some age groups are over-represented in crashes. Sixteen- to 19-year-olds represent 3.5% of licensed drivers, but account for 8.9% of drivers in all crashes and 6.0% of drivers in fatal crashes. Other age groups are under-represented. For example, drivers 65 to 74 account for 13.7% of licensed drivers, but represent only 6.9% of drivers in all crashes and 7.7% of drivers in fatal crashes.

The overall crash rate per 100,000 licensed drivers steadily decreases as driver age increases. The same trend is generally true regarding the fatal crash rate, with the exception of an increase among 75-and-older drivers.

Among the youngest drivers (under 25), the number of licensed drivers steadily increases from age 16 to 24, while the overall crash rate per 100,000 drivers steadily decreases. The fatal crash rate remains relatively flat from age 16 to 22 and starts decreasing for 24-year-old drivers.

https://injuryfacts.nsc.org/motor-vehicle/overview/age-of-driver/

So lift the voting age to twenty five.

• Like 1

The brain continues to mature even after it is done growing.

Though the brain may be done growing in size, it does not finish developing and maturing until the mid- to late 20s. The front part of the brain, called the prefrontal cortex, is one of the last brain regions to mature. This area is responsible for skills like planning, prioritizing, and controlling impulses. Because these skills are still developing, teens are more likely to engage in risky behaviors without considering the potential results of their decisions.

https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/the-teen-brain-7-things-to-know#:~:text=Though the brain may be,last brain regions to mature.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

For years I’ve been proposing to repeal and replace the 26th and several others.  And I have very good reason to do so.  The most important reason of the post Bill of Rights Amendments is to structure the Amendments to be more closely aligned to the Original Intent.  Which we have gotten away from and has unintentional run into problems.  Leaving our Republic susceptible to internal strife.  One of these days, I should post my treatise on this.

Anyway, the majority of 16-year-olds should not be voting.  The juvenile mind is too immature.  Even the mind of 26-year-olds and beyond are still immature.  The youth is definitely staying immature longer and it probably has to do with indoctrination, …er education in this nation.  The democrats know that they just can’t fool enough people, long enough to buy votes with free stuff.  Eventually, the immigrant (legal or not) acquires property and becomes more mature and conservative.  So too, when the youth begin to acquire property, they too become more mature and conservative.  The Left must constantly bring in more and more illegal aliens.  16-year-olds going to war is far different than exercising your right to vote.  Voting requires maturity and going to war just requires to follow orders.  That doesn’t mean that youth fighting in war don’t mature, they do.  What matures people are life experiences.  Youth have not lived long enough to acquire them.  The Left uses this to wrought chaos.  Knowing when a politician is using you, buying you cheaply for your vote.  That takes time to realize that.  That is so corrupt, and both parties do it, but the Left seems to have it down pat.  Destroy the family, indoctrination of the youth to hate this country, dumbify their intelligence and maturity to blindly parrot the desires of the Left.

This is not what the Founding Fathers had intended.  Why is that important?  Because the founders knew human nature and the level of depravity it could sink to when you take powers and rights from the people to determine their own destiny.  For people to determine their destiny, they need to have ‘skin in the game’ which includes life experiences and maturity.  If you have ‘skin in the game’ then you are more than likely predisposed to look to the future prosperity of the nation and not some destructive ideology.  I would propose that for voting, we return to the concept they had in 1790.  Namely, only those that are property owners should be allowed to vote.  Back then though, only white males were property owners.  There were exceptions.  The difference is that today, both men and women of all colors are property owners.  Property would include land, businesses, homes.  Basically infrastructure and the ability to add the the wealth of the nation.  But those that are non-citizens or non-property owners (i.e. rents) cannot vote in national elections.  For local elections, it only seems right that all that live in the community should have a say.  This structure should make it harder for corrupt politicians to try to usurp the Constitution and seize power as the Left is attempting to do now.

From the beginning, Left and Right meant something different than today.  Both sides had the vision of leading this nation to a better place.  It only differed by the way either side approached it.  That worked.  But Marx came along and codified the actions of tyrants of the past, present, and future.  And ever since then, Marxism (any flavor) has been creeping into our system.  It is so incompatible to freedom loving peoples.  Marx didn’t believe in marriage or the family and that the youth should be brought up by the state.  He believed that the benevolent leadership of total government, could better care for the masses.  But a government with total control is not benevolent and never will be.  That is the only way to perpetuate the ideology, but history shows this form of government is always doomed to collapse and leaves a wake of death and destruction.  And allowing children to vote at an earlier and earlier age, is another step toward collapse.  How do you expect when children are being groomed as sex objects and gender affirming care confuses their minds as well as sterilizes them?  Children are not mature enough to deal with those pressures.

• Like 3

My opinion is that voting should be a right for all adults. It should not be for children! Our society has agreed that 18 years old is the cut off for what we determine an adult to be. 

Therefore - if you wish to lower the voting age, sure - but also make it legal to buy alcohol at 16, and any 16 year old who commits a crime should be tried in an adult court. 16 year olds should have the right to marry whomever they want. They can join the military, take out a loan, sign a lease, and all the other lovely things that all adults have the right to do!

My personal opinion is that a 16 year old is too young for this kind of responsibility, but maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy. 

• Like 4

Not a great idea. Kids these days don't even know whether they are a boy a girl or a toaster.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

For years I’ve been proposing to repeal and replace the 26th and several others.  And I have very good reason to do so.  The most important reason of the post Bill of Rights Amendments is to structure the Amendments to be more closely aligned to the Original Intent.  Which we have gotten away from and has unintentional run into problems.  Leaving our Republic susceptible to internal strife.  One of these days, I should post my treatise on this.

I wish you would I would be interested in your thoughts.

Anyway, the majority of 16-year-olds should not be voting.  The juvenile mind is too immature.  Even the mind of 26-year-olds and beyond are still immature.  The youth is definitely staying immature longer and it probably has to do with indoctrination, …er education in this nation.  The democrats know that they just can’t fool enough people, long enough to buy votes with free stuff.  Eventually, the immigrant (legal or not) acquires property and becomes more mature and conservative.  So too, when the youth begin to acquire property, they too become more mature and conservative.

I would certainly disagree, todays 16 years are far more informed and well spoken than many here. They have grown up in a world that is falling apart environmentally, politically, and economically and the last two generations of Americans have left that to them. Frankly, they have been left a pile of crap not opportunities, when they turn on the Television they hear about global warming and then they see the effects globally areas of land where the ice has melted and left exposed earth that has not been seen in Hundreds of Thousands of years. Droughts, unnatural climate, unnatural storms and other freak weather patterns. If that isn’t on TV then there are Wars that are occurring worldwide, and last the entire global community is dire straits and it has been getting worse for more than 20 years.

Now, yiu have jumped to your typical go to stance comes straight out of the closet and you rightwing Nationalists views concerning immigration and immigrants. You know my mother and father were German immigrants, and I have no idea watch you contribution to the US has been, however my father made a great contribution to the United States than you will ever make working as a IT Technician so please save you comments!

The Left must constantly bring in more and more illegal aliens.  16-year-olds going to war is far different than exercising your right to vote.  Voting requires maturity and going to war just requires to follow orders.  That doesn’t mean that youth fighting in war don’t mature, they do.  What matures people are life experiences.

Here we go the left, do you have any idea how unlearned that reference to the Democratic Party is?

Well let me help you out here, the term the left was a term created and dumb down by the Republican Party for its members whom are not articulate enough to properly pronounce the word Democrat, much less spelling the word do you realize how foolish that word sounds!:D Your comments here are redundant, sad, and very ridiculous, according to your comments above you would send 16 years to fricken war, but not allow them to vote, are you seriously kidding. Here, you are talking about sending teenagers you claim are to immature to vote, to War they mostly will not survive to give them life experiences so they become mature, seriously are you all right, it appears your suffering from a break. I will comment no further until you see a doctor.

Youth have not lived long enough to acquire them.  The Left uses this to wrought chaos.  Knowing when a politician is using you, buying you cheaply for your vote.  That takes time to realize that.  That is so corrupt, and both parties do it, but the Left seems to have it down pat.  Destroy the family, indoctrination of the youth to hate this country, dumbify their intelligence and maturity to blindly parrot the desires of the Left.

I find it interesting you speak of politicians use you, when obviously control completely by your political affiliation and your prophet Donald Trump to whom you have bent the knee and kissed the right! It’s amazing that you are willing to send 16 year old to war, yet you have given up your individual thought process to man is a Draft Dodger, a Traitor, who has inspired hate to a greater extent than any other President in the history of the United States. As far as the word you used above dumbify :lol: why would you speak in the third person Ravenhawk, that’s an oxymoron because your not capable of commenting from the outside looking in, your waist deep in the stuff your throwing.

Dumbify https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dumbify

This is not what the Founding Fathers had intended.  Why is that important?  Because the founders knew human nature and the level of depravity it could sink to when you take powers and rights from the people to determine their own destiny.  For people to determine their destiny, they need to have ‘skin in the game’ which includes life experiences and maturity.  If you have ‘skin in the game’ then you are more than likely predisposed to look to the future prosperity of the nation and not some destructive ideology.  I would propose that for voting, we return to the concept they had in 1790.

Who are you to honestly say what the Founding Fathers intended, all you are able to do is offer your opinion. 

Namely, only those that are property owners should be allowed to vote.  Back then though, only white males were property owners.  There were exceptions.  The difference is that today, both men and women of all colors are property owners.  Property would include land, businesses, homes.  Basically infrastructure and the ability to add the the wealth of the nation.  But those that are non-citizens or non-property owners (i.e. rents) cannot vote in national elections.  For local elections, it only seems right that all that live in the community should have a say.  This structure should make it harder for corrupt politicians to try to usurp the Constitution and seize power as the Left is attempting to do now.

So, your saying that only property owners should allowed to vote, what does that even mean, they own a car, a trailer, Cloths what are you even talking About??

From the beginning, Left and Right meant something different than today.  Both sides had the vision of leading this nation to a better place.  It only differed by the way either side approached it.  That worked.  But Marx came along and codified the actions of tyrants of the past, present, and future.  And ever since then, Marxism (any flavor) has been creeping into our system.  It is so incompatible to freedom loving peoples.  Marx didn’t believe in marriage or the family and that the youth should be brought up by the state.  He believed that the benevolent leadership of total government, could better care for the masses.  But a government with total control is not benevolent and never will be.  That is the only way to perpetuate the ideology, but history shows this form of government is always doomed to collapse and leaves a wake of death and destruction.  And allowing children to vote at an earlier and earlier age, is another step toward collapse.  How do you expect when children are being groomed as sex objects and gender affirming care confuses their minds as well as sterilizes them?  Children are not mature enough to deal with those pressures

Seriously you are sick, twisted and unbelievably obviously your a very strong QANON Supporter because everything you have commented on is part of their mantra, as I was reading you they seemed very familiar to me, and I remember QANON was spouting thise same comments not long ago.

All I can say is WOW, I think you and  Representative Majorly Green are a match made in heaven, you may only have one problem with that relationship, the QANON Shaman will be free soon, and I think they may have hooked up,f:lol: But, he may be a better pick, who knows!

C6347A4E-7B42-4AE7-A33F-0DBD4A9EF446.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

I wish you would I would be interested in your thoughts.

I just may.  I only have notes, but I think I can make it short.  Of course, that will be way over your head.

I would certainly disagree, todays 16 years are far more informed and well spoken than many here.

I seriously doubt that.  Perhaps more than you.  But informed and well spoken does not translate to maturity.  I.e. Obama was well spoken but he started this country down a Marxist path.

They have grown up in a world that is falling apart environmentally, politically, and economically and the last two generations of Americans have left that to them. Frankly, they have been left a pile of crap not opportunities,

It’s interesting that you list environmentally first.  Referring to pollution, this country is one of the cleanest.  Places like China and India are not interested in the environment.  Marxism is tearing this world, especially this country apart.  Not environment or anything else.  Between the corruption of the “DEMOCRATS” and RINOs, they have lost faith in the Constitution.  When you spend more than you take in and redistribute the wealth of the nation, causes a nation to collapse.  These are truisms.  And people like you don’t see that any of this is happening.  What’s the saying, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade?

when they turn on the Television they hear about global warming and then they see the effects globally areas of land where the ice has melted and left exposed earth that has not been seen in Hundreds of Thousands of years.

Ah, global warming.  One of the biggest hoaxes of all time.  I wouldn’t say hundreds of thousands but definitely only thousands and tens of thousands.  Snow melts.  Glaciers melt.  On a planet with cycles, glaciers will come and go.  I believe that the Sahara, becomes a marsh every 5000 years or so.  The longer man lives on this planet, the more aware of cycles he will get.

Droughts, unnatural climate, unnatural storms and other freak weather patterns.

Who says this is unnatural?  The fact is, is that with population growth means that climate and humans are on a collision course.  Now either we learn to adapt as man has in the past 180,000 years or we give in to the fear mongering and run around crying that the sky is falling down and go extinct.

If that isn’t on TV then there are Wars that are occurring worldwide,

There are always wars occurring.  Some university years ago made a statistical analysis of the wars in the last 3500 (or was it 4500??) years.  They discovered that there were only six days free of conflict on a global basis.  In Luke, it says that “you will hear of wars and rumor of wars, but the end is not yet”.  I grew up watching Cronkite at the evening meal showing cargo nets of full body bags being lifted by helicopters.  As a child, I closely watched the Six Day War, the Yom Kippur war, And the Bangladesh Liberation War as well as the early Islamic terrorist attacks.  Children are always exposed to wars and violence.  With parents there to explain, this is how children begin to acquire life experiences.  Without parents, it becomes “Lord of the Flies”.

and last the entire global community is dire straits and it has been getting worse for more than 20 years.

The world is always in dire straits.  There are always barbarians at the gate.  But it just takes one leader to step up to be a bulwark for freedom.  We had that in Trump and gave it up.  Marxism makes these straits even more perilous.  Yes, I agree that the last few decades have bore witness to our decline because of the “DEMOCRATS” and RINOs.  We need a string of Trumps and DeSantis’ to right this ship.  And it begins by getting the people educated on the Original Intent.

Now, yiu have jumped to your typical go to stance comes straight out of the closet

The closet is not my go to stance, Like it is for you.

And you rightwing Nationalists views concerning immigration and immigrants.

And what are my “NATIONALISTS” views concerning immigration and immigrants?

You know my mother and father were German immigrants, and I have no idea watch you contribution to the US has been, however my father made a great contribution to the United States than you will ever make working as a IT Technician so please save you comments!

So your parents came over under Operation Paperclip?  I knew a gal whose grandfather was one of the developers of Zyklon A, but had immigrated here after WWI.  Some of my lines were here by 1722 and others, not until 1895.  I have ancestors that fought on both sides of the Civil War.  One was a Revolutionary General under Washington.  Without him, there would be no United States west of the Mississippi.  His grandfather fought under William of Orange as a captain of dragoons before immigrating here.  We have other ties to the signers of the Declaration of Independence and those that owned Valley Forge.  My lines are intertwined with the history of this country from the beginning.

Here we go the left, do you have any idea how unlearned that reference to the Democratic Party is?

It’s not so unlearned.  If you knew anything about the “DEMOCRATS”, you’d know that there really aren’t any.  The party has vacated the Center and has moved far Left.  Moderate “DEMOCRATS” have become Independents, Republicans, Libertarians, or something else.  Marxism controls the ideology of the Left, not the Constitution.

Well let me help you out here, the term the left was a term created and dumb down by the Republican Party for its members whom are not articulate enough to properly pronounce the word Democrat, much less spelling the word do you realize how foolish that word sounds! 

It wasn’t a term that was dumbed down.  It is highly accurate, even when applied to a modern political spectrum.  You label it with a different meaning so that you don’t have to deal with the truth.  And as I mentioned earlier, there are no more “DEMOCRATS”.  They are Marxists.  Just admit it and move on.  This is a battle between Marxism and our Constitutional Republic vying for the heart and soul of this nation.

Your comments here are redundant, sad, and very ridiculous,

They are only redundant because you refuse to listen or even understand.

according to your comments above you would send 16 years to fricken war,

I didn’t say that I’d send them to war.  But they do go to war.  Especially when war is on our own soil.  Children as young as 13 fought in the Revolutionary and Civil Wars.  If you have ever been to the Alamo and sat down in the Block House and listened to the stories of the defenders, you’d learn that 15-year-olds fought and died there.  And you’ll find that they were far more mature than the youth of today.

but not allow them to vote, are you seriously kidding. Here, you are talking about sending teenagers you claim are to immature to vote, to War they mostly will not survive to give them life experiences so they become mature, seriously are you all right, it appears your suffering from a break. I will comment no further until you see a doctor.

You didn’t understand what I said, did you?  I’m noticing a lot of that in your reply.  Voting and going to war are two different things.  Voting requires a maturity that the kids today do not have.  They are too easily swayed by Marxism.  Going to war just requires following orders.  Yes, a few will not survive, yet many more will and they will gain those life experiences.  There have been just over one million Americans that have given that last full measure of devotion.  Way too many are 18- and 20-year-olds, yet these are the ones that fight.  The only way to stop them from fighting is to teach them to hate their country in the schools.  But that won’t stop a Marxist police state from raising conscripts.  They are too immature to understand what that means.  To lose their liberty.  They’ve not had the time to understand the difference between liberty and slavery.

I find it interesting you speak of politicians use you, when obviously control completely by your political affiliation and your prophet Donald Trump to whom you have bent the knee and kissed the right! It’s amazing that you are willing to send 16 year old to war, yet you have given up your individual thought process to man is a Draft Dodger, a Traitor, who has inspired hate to a greater extent than any other President in the history of the United States.

I don’t think so.  You buy everything the MSM feeds you as the propaganda arm of the Left.  That is why you hate Trump and hate anyone that loves this country.  You are the one deifying Trump, not me.  As I said, Trump is a known quantity.  He gets things done.  He made this nation prosper again.  Turning things around from that 20-year slide that you mentioned.  I applaud that and want to see that continue.  What’s going on in this country for the last two years wouldn’t have happened if Trump was still President.  You can see what one man can do to destroy a nation.  Two years of Biden and he’s not through yet.  You seem to be ok with an incognitive puppet, whose handlers are Obama people leading this nation into Marxism.  To allow this to continue is to give up your individual thought process.  Which you have none left.  All that is left is hatred.  Trump didn’t inspire hatred.  The MSM fed you the narrative and you fell for it hook, line, and sinker.  The traitor is the Biden crime family.  They are the old friends that Xi was speaking of.

As far as the word you used above dumbify  why would you speak in the third person Ravenhawk, that’s an oxymoron because your not capable of commenting from the outside looking in, your waist deep in the stuff your throwing.

Dumbify https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/dumbify

That is an irrational rant.  I use dumbify because that is the term to use.  There’s really no outside-in or inside-out.  It is just what it is.  Your weak argument is showing.

Who are you to honestly say what the Founding Fathers intended, all you are able to do is offer your opinion. 

And your opinion is any better?  At least I spend time learning about the lives of the Founding Fathers, I read biographies, the Federalist (and anti-Federalist) papers, their letters.  All of that is quite well recorded.  It doesn’t take long to realize that they fought the Marxist ideals in the form of a Royal tyrant.  When Marx came around, he only codified what King George used in practice.  I really doubt that you will understand that.  Tyranny has always existed.

So, your saying that only property owners should allowed to vote, what does that even mean, they own a car, a trailer, Cloths what are you even talking About??

I thought I made it clear??  If they own anything dealing with the land of this nation.  That would be the land, a business, or a home.  Not other forms of property.  He who owns land controls the nation.  That is what I mean by having ‘skin in the game’.  Do the people own the land or does the state?  Those that don’t own land have different sensibilities and don’t consider the future of the country the same way.  Not being tied to the land makes you transient.  And transient-ism is susceptible to incompatible ideologies like Marxism.  That is just a basic axiom of nations.  And it is a target of Marxism.  I would also include those that serve the nation as having “skin in the game”, kind a like Robert Heinlein’s concept of the difference between citizen and civilian.  The bottom line is that you only want those that take the best interest of this nation to heart to be able to vote.  If you want to vote then buy something associated to the land or serve this nation.  That is a solemn duty of the citizen.  That’s how the citizen becomes part of the body politic.  Understand?

Seriously you are sick, twisted and unbelievably obviously your a very strong QANON Supporter because everything you have commented on is part of their mantra, as I was reading you they seemed very familiar to me, and I remember QANON was spouting thise same comments not long ago.

Ah, label it as Qanon, so that you can hate Americanism?  I don’t support Qanon.  They are a very small harmless faction in the Right wing.  They don’t come close to driving the bus.  I don’t know what they spout.  I don’t pay attention to them.  They are just an excuse for the Left to hate.  But if you are trying to equate what I say to them, then you are sorely mistaken.  If they spout the same thing and you label them as “bad”, then anything they stand for must be “bad”?  Is that what you’re getting at?  So things like patriotism, making America great again, sacrifice, love, family, manhood, community, maturity, vision, inclusiveness, unity, devotion, etc., etc. are all “bad”?  This reflects your hatred of this nation.  Or do you just not comprehend what I’ve said?  Maybe a little of both??  Your reply would indicate a little of both.

All I can say is WOW, I think you and  Representative Majorly Green are a match made in heaven, you may only have one problem with that relationship, the QANON Shaman will be free soon, and I think they may have hooked up,f But, he may be a better pick, who knows!

You are sick and full of hatred.  You need help!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

I propose we change the voting age to 26, the age that the brain is fully formed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/13/2023 at 5:04 PM, Tatetopa said:

On the positive side, 16 year olds that take civics classes probably know more about the Constitution and how government runs that some of the people currently in Congress.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in Washington 1/2 credit of civics is required to graduate and that content may be imbedded in another social studies course.  In my high School it was 1/2 credit in civics and 1/2 credit in economics in the same class.  According to google that has not changed.  Do you really suppose federally funded schools teach people about how the government operates? :rolleyes:  

Over at my sisters last weekend and I saw my 8th grade nieces text book titled "Columbus, From Colonization to Globalization" I didn't bother to open it up as I thought the title indicates the books agenda and I didn't want to be tempted to start an argument about it.

This on Google:

People also ask

Is civics taught in schools anymore?

There are no mandatory federal standards for teaching civics or social studies. Instead, each state has its own standards that reflect its priorities and history. In many school districts, civics is taught only once, often in a semester-long high school class.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I propose we change the voting age to 26, the age that the brain is fully formed.  

The reason it is 18 is because 18 year olds are being sent to war, so if you change that, which I agree with, you need to change the minimum age of the military to 26 as well.   As for 16 year olds voting that is insane.   Most 16 year olds don't pay their own bills, or rent etc. and they definitely do not pay income tax.  (yes there are exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the rule).

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The reason it is 18 is because 18 year olds are being sent to war, so if you change that, which I agree with, you need to change the minimum age of the military to 26 as well.   As for 16 year olds voting that is insane.   Most 16 year olds don't pay their own bills, or rent etc. and they definitely do not pay income tax.  (yes there are exceptions, but they are exceptions, not the rule).

I know that, but they are not being drafted and forced into it now so **** 'em.

But the age for the military should be lowered to the age of consent, 16.

Edited by OverSword

17 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Still, their brains are not fully formed so they can't make a good decision about it.   Marraige licenses should not be given to anyone under 26 either.    See the can of worms?   there is no reason to change the minimum voting age, it is some crazy idea that someone is using to stir the pot.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 11:42 PM, Golden Duck said:

Just look at insurance premiums they drop after 25.

Though going on the insurance premiums women are safer drivers than men.

But it was still a mistake to give them the vote :whistle:

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, OverSword said:

But the age for the military should be lowered to the age of consent, 16.

Really, why should the age of the Military be lowered to the age of 16?:unsure:

• Thanks 1

To get the ones that are out of control some discipline and self respect.

• Haha 1

I have sent emails to my representatives and I think anyone who thinks this is a bad idea should also.   They don't know what is going on in the real world and need us to tell them.   And if you think it is a good idea I don't object to you letting them know as well, we need to keep the in the loop of what we think of how they are doing.   They work for us, and we pay their big salaries, protection, cars, premium medical that we can only dream of so they owe us.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

Still, their brains are not fully formed so they can't make a good decision about it.   Marraige licenses should not be given to anyone under 26 either.    See the can of worms?   there is no reason to change the minimum voting age, it is some crazy idea that someone is using to stir the pot.

I hope that was a joke as I got married at 24 and had 32 fantastic years with my wife until she passed. 

cormac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

I hope that was a joke as I got married at 24 and had 32 fantastic years with my wife until she passed. 

cormac

It wasn't a joke but I am glad things worked out for you.   I don't know very many people who got married young (before 26) and stayed married happily.   I have one cousin out of over 20 that got married young and is still married 40 years later to the same person.  The rest who got married young did not stay married, some have had multiple marriages and found one that worked after they were 30.   My friends that got married young are no longer married to that first partner.   

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, OverSword said:

And cut it off at 60, the average age of cognitive decline.  Old people suck way more than young people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

The reason it is 18 is because 18 year olds are being sent to war

The age is actually 17.  But you do have to be 18 to be sent to war.  We had a guy in our Battery that was 17 when we deployed, so he had to stay behind for 2 months until he turned 18, then he rejoined us.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Desertrat56 said:

It wasn't a joke but I am glad things worked out for you.   I don't know very many people who got married young (before 26) and stayed married happily.   I have one cousin out of over 20 that got married young and is still married 40 years later to the same person.  The rest who got married young did not stay married, some have had multiple marriages and found one that worked after they were 30.   My friends that got married young are no longer married to that first partner.   

My sister has been married to the same man since 1985, most of my cousin’s (and I have a lot) married younger than me and have stayed married to the same person. Actually I’m the oldest to marry in my family, not counting my mother after my dad died. 

cormac

3 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

And cut it off at 60, the average age of cognitive decline.  Old people suck way more than young people.

Don't retirees deserve representation? 

• Like 1