Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Chicago mayor admits it was a 'mistake' to urge teachers to offer extra credit to campaign for her

el midgetron

Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot on Sunday responded to reports that her re-election campaign made an "inappropriately coercive" request to get public school teachers to offer extra credit to students in exchange for helping her "win."

On MSNBC's "The Sunday Show," the Democratic politician admitted to the wrongdoing, which is now under investigation, saying it "was simply a mistake."……

……On Wednesday, a Lightfoot campaign staffer emailed Chicago Public School teachers asking them to give students "credit" for volunteering for the campaign's "externship program," reported WTTW News. The Illinois American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) called on the Chicago mayor to "renounce" the "inappropriately coercive" email, reported Fox News.

"We're simply looking for enthusiastic, curious and hard-working young people eager to help Mayor Lightfoot win this spring," the email said…..

…..In a full statement, the state's ACLU branch said, "The Lightfoot campaign's email to Chicago Public School teachers urging them to offer extra credit to students as an incentive to volunteer on the Mayor's re-election campaign is inappropriately coercive and raises First Amendment concerns." 

https://thepostmillennial.com/chicago-mayor-admits-it-was-a-mistake-to-urge-teachers-to-offer-extra-credit-to-students-who-campaign-for-her?utm_campaign=64466

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

This is the same reason why it's illegal to give food or drink to people standing in line to vote. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Hawken said:

Lightfoot isn't sorry. She's only sorry she received backlash, and she didn't expect that.

They're all only sorry they got caught.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, acidhead said:

This is the same reason why it's illegal to give food or drink to people standing in line to vote. 

Albert Kelly, Bridgeton, New Jersey's welfare profiteering mayor buses them to the polls and gives them lunch. I've been waiting for that thief to get busted for years.

• Like 4

This is or is close to criminal.    She loves her criminals so it is not surprising.

• Like 4

Chicago had almost 800 homicides in 2021. Most gang-on-gang crimes. The sad part is there's innocent bystanders like children that get in the crossfire.

But you never hear that on the MSM. Illinois just passed a law to ban AR-15s. But most gun crimes are with stolen handguns.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Hawken said:

Chicago had almost 800 homicides in 2021. Most gang-on-gang crimes. The sad part is there's innocent bystanders like children that get in the crossfire.

But you never hear that on the MSM. Illinois just passed a law to ban AR-15s. But most gun crimes are with stolen handguns.

Not in Philly or Camden. I was told by Bloods in prison the gangs buy a lot from gun shows in the South.

The Neo-Nazis in New Jersey do the same thing. One dummy bragged  about it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not in Philly or Camden. I was told by Bloods in prison the gangs buy a lot from gun shows in the South.

The Neo-Nazis in New Jersey do the same thing. One dummy bragged  about it. 

Aren't bloods a black gang? The reason I ask is because I've been to many gun shows across the South and I've never seen a black person at any of them. People who looked like they may be Neo-Nazis yes...blacks no.

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Aren't bloods a black gang? The reason I ask is because I've been to many gun shows across the South and I've never seen a black person at any of them. People who looked like they may be Neo-Nazis yes...blacks no.

Blacks, Puerto Ricans and Eastern Natives, but I heard rumors of activity on some of the Midwestern Rezs.

The ones in the Delaware Valley and New York are also allies of the 5 Families ( Italian Mob) so they could send anybody.

Also there are many Puerto Ricans and "High Yellows" who look like me and can "pass".

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Hawken said:

Lightfoot isn't sorry. She's only sorry she received backlash, and she didn't expect that.

What planet does she live on in her head?   Why would she even think it was ok?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

My guess is she was trying to score political points. But it backfired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Desertrat56 said:

Donald Trump's trailblazing political strategy calling state elected officials to change votes? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Donald Trump's trailblazing political strategy calling state elected officials to change votes? 

Classic "whataboutism".  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Well of course, bring up Trump when a Dem politician is under fire. :rolleyes:

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Hawken said:

Well of course, bring up Trump when a Dem politician is under fire. :rolleyes:

How can any one tell which is which anymore?

1 hour ago, Hawken said:

Well of course, bring up Trump when a Dem politician is under fire. 

Well of course, bring up a crook when another crook gets outed.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Classic "whataboutism".  

Indeed.  Self serving power grabs and lies do not stop at party lines.   

Maybe it is time to stop looking at D's and R's.  Maybe it is time to go back to supporting principles rather than parties.  There needs to be a gigantic house cleaning, federal state and local. 

Vote them out and if it is  egregious enough, prosecute them.  Doesn't matter D or R  should not be a free pass.

Liars that promise you things, no matter how sweet seldom deliver.  They serve themselves.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Well of course, bring up a crook when another crook gets outed.

Indeed.  Self serving power grabs and lies do not stop at party lines.   

Maybe it is time to stop looking at D's and R's.  Maybe it is time to go back to supporting principles rather than parties.  There needs to be a gigantic house cleaning, federal state and local. 

Vote them out and if it is  egregious enough, prosecute them.  Doesn't matter D or R  should not be a free pass.

Liars that promise you things, no matter how sweet seldom deliver.  They serve themselves.

Do you know what the Prisoner's Dilemma is, Tate? This feels like it could be a variation thereof in which acting out of self serving interest is mutually destructive, but if one side of politics decides to do the noble thing and attempt to change, then the other side won't and will simply cruise to a landslide victory and therefore nothing will change. 

Just a thought. 

• Thanks 1

Man, that's one of the slimiest things I've heard in a minute. 

The mayor is really living up to Chicagos reputation 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Paranoid Android said:

Do you know what the Prisoner's Dilemma is, Tate? This feels like it could be a variation thereof in which acting out of self serving interest is mutually destructive, but if one side of politics decides to do the noble thing and attempt to change, then the other side won't and will simply cruise to a landslide victory and therefore nothing will change. 

Just a thought. 

Oh indeed I do.  It wraps up a number of points to ponder.  It can be an excuse to take the down escalator if you are looking for a way to justify that.  Or it can be an invitation for both  prisoners to rat out one another and hope for clemency.

But step back and wonder at the structure.  Who are the prisoners and who are the jailers?   If we are awake, we have the power to end this, we are not the prisoners, they are. It is not their  mutual destruction that I care about, it is our own. 

They tell us such pretty lies, and we drink them up.  They find the principles we hold dear and pretend to love them too.  Doesn't matter, tradition or new wave, they use them all. To some they offer trinkets, abortion bans or gay marriage to aid or cover up or become apologists and  foolish people take the costume jewelry and think it precious and go along.    In the long game all of those promises and trinkets run dry, they cost the politicians nothing and they are a stall in the game.

Have you ever wondered why it is that no matter which party in in power,  the middle class lose real buying power, choices, and little bits of freedom year by year?   Have you considered that money is lighter than water, it floats to the top?  Every rule change, every tax break, every new program hastens that flow.    And those who lie to us, sweet talk us, and persuade us to sit back and do nothing facilitate that.  Some are honest fools, others hold in tightly clasped hand their brass and glass jewelry. 

So, you are either waking up. asleep, or a facilitator.  Which are you?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Oh indeed I do.  It wraps up a number of points to ponder.  It can be an excuse to take the down escalator if you are looking for a way to justify that.  Or it can be an invitation for both  prisoners to rat out one another and hope for clemency.

But step back and wonder at the structure.  Who are the prisoners and who are the jailers?   If we are awake, we have the power to end this, we are not the prisoners, they are. It is not their  mutual destruction that I care about, it is our own. 

They tell us such pretty lies, and we drink them up.  They find the principles we hold dear and pretend to love them too.  Doesn't matter, tradition or new wave, they use them all. To some they offer trinkets, abortion bans or gay marriage to aid or cover up or become apologists and  foolish people take the costume jewelry and think it precious and go along.    In the long game all of those promises and trinkets run dry, they cost the politicians nothing and they are a stall in the game.

Have you ever wondered why it is that no matter which party in in power,  the middle class lose real buying power, choices, and little bits of freedom year by year?   Have you considered that money is lighter than water, it floats to the top?  Every rule change, every tax break, every new program hastens that flow.    And those who lie to us, sweet talk us, and persuade us to sit back and do nothing facilitate that.  Some are honest fools, others hold in tightly clasped hand their brass and glass jewelry. 

So, you are either waking up. asleep, or a facilitator.  Which are you?

If it helps,  I agree with your sentiments in a purely theoretical sense. However,  in practise,  I don't see it happening.  People could individually make these decisions,  but when your factor in millions of individual voters, that's a recipe for status quo.  

That means in a sense that we may all be prisoners to the system in which we operate,  to an extent.