Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Nancy Pelosi called priests to perform 'exorcism' after husband's hammer attack, daughter says Story

Grim Reaper 6

Tormer House Speaker Nancy Pelosi had priests come to her San Francisco home to preform an "exorcism" after her husband was severely attacked in November, according to her daughter. Alexandra Pelosi, the daughter of Nancy Pelosi, told the New York Times that her mother called priests to perform an exorcism of the house over Thanksgiving, just weeks after David DePape allegedly attacked Paul Pelosi with a hammer. 

"I think that weighed really heavy on her soul. I think she felt really guilty. I think that really broke her. Over Thanksgiving, she had priests coming, trying to have an exorcism of the house and having prayer services," Alexandra Pelosi told the New York Times.

Nancy Pelosi called priests to perform 'exorcism' after husband's hammer attack, daughter says (msn.com)

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

Exorcism? Weird. I've heard that various Catholics do have exorcisms done. But, usually they have some kind of reason of demonic activity first. I think this was just a deranged idiot. I'm all for praying over a house to bless it, but exorcism is a level (several levels?) above that.

But, then she is RICH$$$$ so doubtless the parish was like, YES MADAM.

29 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Exorcism? Weird. I've heard that various Catholics do have exorcisms done. But, usually they have some kind of reason of demonic activity first. I think this was just a deranged idiot. I'm all for praying over a house to bless it, but exorcism is a level (several levels?) above that.

But, then she is RICH$$$$ so doubtless the parish was like, YES MADAM.

Hi Die

When I was young it was common practice for Catholic people to come and bless the house when you moved in. I guess it was to absolve the sins of the former residents/owners although I didn’t give it much thought then as it was an opportunity for mom to dish out cookies and treats.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Die

When I was young it was common practice for Catholic people to come and bless the house when you moved in. I guess it was to absolve the sins of the former residents/owners although I didn’t give it much thought then as it was an opportunity for mom to dish out cookies and treats.

I've often wondered about why people did that. I've got a father in law who is an Anglican Priest (American version) and he has blessed houses before when it seems there is a "spirit" involved. As in a "spirit of oppression", or "spirit of anger". Which I guess is really more of a "feeling" left behind by former owners who had strong negative emotions. Not sure....

Blessing a house for "good luck" and such, I understand. Like saying a prayer over a dinner, or prayers before going to bed.

• Like 3

She probably should worry that a lingering effect of such a blessing causing the house to burst into flame the next time one of his lovers visits while she's away.  Just sayin'... 

• Haha 2

Protection angels vacated the place due to Nancy's support of a women's reproductive rights.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Die

Hey Jay, so far you’re the only one who get it. I was raised a Roman Catholic and yes when a Catholic Family moves into a new home most certainly do have their home and property bless. I think the way the article in the OP was written should not have used the word exorcism, because I believe using That description is hyperbole. I believe what actually occurred was just a blessings, of the home my friend.

That was great information you added, Happy Lunar New Year Jay!:tu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

4 hours ago, and-then said:

She probably should worry that a lingering effect of such a blessing causing the house to burst into flame the next time one of his lovers visits while she's away.  Just sayin'... 

I thought you were a Christian, because your comments above and you thoughts on the subject certainly prove your not the Christian you claim to be. What did your Lord and Savior say, “” let he without SIN cast the first stone, well that sure as hell isn’t you””:D

Happy Lunar New Year, Andthen:tu:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Hey Jay, so far you’re the only one who get it. I was raised a Roman Catholic and yes when a Catholic Family moves into a new home most certainly do have their home and property bless. I think the way the article in the OP was written should not have used the word exorcism, because I believe using That description is hyperbole. I believe what actually occurred was just a blessings, of the home my friend.

Hi Manwon

My second wife told her mother that she thought I remembered the day I was born.:lol:

She didn’t say much about he early years because either she couldn’t or didn’t want to remember them. I have so many vivid memories of my past like when it was my second birthday and granny sent me a chocolate eater egg for my birthday. I didn’t understand lent but did understand it was my birthday and that was my egg. Mom put it on the bottom shelf so I could could look at ot until Easter which was several days after my birthday. I caved and stole my birthday present a couple of days early. Hey it was my first tempts experience and I failed gloriously.:whistle:

I hid under the kitchen table with my arms and legs wrapped around the chairs, unfortunately my dad decided to wire a letter and tried to pull one of the chairs out. I can still remember the look on mom and dad’s faces upside down looking under the table to see what the problem was. Busted had chocolate all over my hands and face and ate that puppy before before they could get the chairs loose.:innocent:

Still got the razor strop but it was worth it.

• Haha 3

"Exorcism" covers a variety of rites. It conjures up this sort of thing, so-called major exorcism:

but the term exorcism covers any ritual rejection of the diabolical or plea for deliverance from it. That includes the minor exorcisms, often simple prayers, such as those associated with baptism or conversion rites in apostolic succession churches (Cathoilc, Orthodox, Anglican, some Lutheran ...). The Lord's Prayer "... but deliver us from evil ..." is arguably a minor exorcism.

So far as I know, "major exorcisms" (the Hollywood-level stuff) are only used for persons, not places. In the exorcist's manual, however, there are prayers for places. From the exorcism FAQ page of the website of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops:

Are there examples of each in the text of Exorcisms and Related Supplications?

The ritual text Exorcisms and Related Supplications is comprised of an introduction, two chapters ("The Rite of Major Exorcism" and "Various Texts"), and concludes with two appendices. The second chapter provides a series of additional texts which serve as options in the administration of the rite itself. The first appendix contains exorcistic prayers to be used at the discretion of the diocesan bishop when a thing or place has become demonically penetrated or the Church herself faces persecution and opposition. This latter series of prayers is not to be confused with the Rite of Major Exorcism itself. Finally, the second appendix provides prayers and supplications for the private use of the faithful.

https://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/sacraments-and-sacramentals/sacramentals-blessings/exorcism

Although I understand the headline-appeal of Pelosi's request, it's not out of the mainstream of Catholic belief and practice, nor even all that unusual (if certain premises are granted).

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

@eight bits Your comments post 10 are certainly very true in fact the Holy See started offering a course to all Christian Religions in 2019. 

Vatican Opens New Exorcist Training Course to All Faiths: Vatican Opens New Exorcist Training Course to All Faiths (mysteriousuniverse.org)

An Exorcism Prayer --(Warning to be said by a Priest Only): An Exorcism prayer (catholicdoors.com)

Catholic Doors Ministry Presents: (A Treasure of 4,128 Prayers): Catholic Doors Ministry - English Prayers

1 hour ago, eight bits said:

So far as I know, "major exorcisms" (the Hollywood-level stuff) are only used for persons, not places. In the exorcist's manual, however, there are prayers for places. From the exorcism FAQ page of the website of the US Conference of Catholic Bishops:

https://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/sacraments-and-sacramentals/sacramentals-blessings/exorcism

Although I understand the headline-appeal of Pelosi's request, it's not out of the mainstream of Catholic belief and practice, nor even all that unusual (if certain premises are granted).

I ordered a copy of Exorcisms and Related Supplications which I believe is the full book on all Exorcism Rights. I ordered a digital copy I thought it would be interesting to read and to put in my digital collection. I think the TV stuff mostly is just BS just like you said, but the actual book that's different story . As far as Her request is concerned, I believe it was a blessing of the home and property and not an exorcism, I think the word exorcism is just hyperbole the media source added because of the blessing and nothing more.

The entire Book Exorcisms and Related Supplications can be found below:

Of Exorcisms and Certain Supplications: Of Exorcisms and Certain Supplications - Wikipedia

Oh, and by the way, I appreciate your support in this thread, I know it's too much to ask but I sure as hell wish others who posted here would also have the common decency to do the same!:yes:

But can you expect from professed Christians, who love to quote biblical verses. :lol:

Take care my friend and Happy Lunar New Year eightbits!:tu:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

An add to: other paths do this too. Lots of folks I know sage their house https://www.vogue.com/article/sage-how-to-cleanse-energy-home-office-smudging

Marie Kondo from “Tidying Up” Netflix blesses the home of those that she is hired to organize. 

Hubby and I made a event of creating our home to be a sanctuary putting our own blessings on it  and we put a lot of energy into adding to the peace and tranquility, by actively working at kindness, empathy and compassion to all those who enter including us. As much as possible that is. 

I do think this is one topic we all have more in common than not, regardless of path. Wonderful thread, Grim.

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Just another of the many rituals of the Church, certainly nothing unusual or outrageous. The Priest performs the ceremony and faith does the rest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Sherapy said:

An add to: other paths do this too. Lots of folks I know sage their house https://www.vogue.com/article/sage-how-to-cleanse-energy-home-office-smudging

Marie Kondo from “Tidying Up” Netflix blesses the home of those that she is hired to organize. 

Hubby and I made a event of creating our home to be a sanctuary putting our own blessings on it  and we put a lot of energy into adding to the peace and tranquility, by actively working at kindness, empathy and compassion to all those who enter including us. As much as possible that is. 

I do think this is one topic we all have more in common than not, regardless of path. Wonderful thread, Grim.

Thank You Sheri, :tu: and I certainly agree with your thoughts on this subject it's dam shame so many can't get past the Politics!!!!:no:

• Like 2

On 1/22/2023 at 10:27 AM, Grim Reaper 6 said:

Alexandra Pelosi, the daughter of Nancy Pelosi, told the New York Times that her mother called priests to perform an exorcism of the house over Thanksgiving, just weeks after David DePape allegedly attacked Paul Pelosi with a hammer. 

So Pelosi is some species of religious crank?  Who knew?  I guess she has more in common with the Far Right than anyone suspected?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Alchopwn said:

So Pelosi is some species of religious crank?  Who knew?  I guess she has more in common with the Far Right than anyone suspected?

No she actually doesn’t have anything in common with the Far Right at all. The Far Right are made up of Evangelical Christians are made up of mant different Christian faiths, and the Christian Zionist movement also draws its followers from the Evangelical Ranks. Pelosi, on the other hand is devout Catholic and I am now certain the mention of Exorcism was nothing but hyperbole.  What, actually happened is  she had her home and property blessed, this is a very common Catholic tradition and basically a Priest will for space  to space within the home and sprinkle some holy water and pray. Then they will go outside and face the four cardinal directions sprinkle holy water and pray. I was raised Catholic and my parents did this also.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

No she actually doesn’t have anything in common with the Far Right at all. The Far Right are made up of Evangelical Christians are made up of mant different Christian faiths, and the Christian Zionist movement also draws its followers from the Evangelical Ranks. Pelosi, on the other hand is devout Catholic and I am now certain the mention of Exorcism was nothing but hyperbole.  What, actually happened is  she had her home and property blessed, this is a very common Catholic tradition and basically a Priest will for space  to space within the home and sprinkle some holy water and pray. Then they will go outside and face the four cardinal directions sprinkle holy water and pray. I was raised Catholic and my parents did this also.

I didn't know Pelosi was Catholic, still, exorcism?  There is such a thing as a Far Right Catholic... Franco, Mussolini, dear uncle Adolph etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

I didn't know Pelosi was Catholic, still, exorcism?  There is such a thing as a Far Right Catholic... Franco, Mussolini, dear uncle Adolph etc.

Many Germans are Roman Catholic, my parents were and that's how I was raised. The exorcism crap is hyperbole, after fully reading the article it clear to me, they were only blessing the Home. To my knowledge, they do not conduct exorcisms on inanimate objects, they bless them only. You, know the movie Chucky was not real right!:D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alchopwn said:

Nancy Pelosi is a distinguished champion of the American political Left, and a Catholic. (So is Biden both those things.) From a historical perspective, a "Catholic Left" is not unusual, even a Catholic Far Left.

https://catholicworker.org/archives-html/

Pelosi, Franco, Mussolini, Hitler? One of these people is not like the others.

On a side note: a minor exorcism does not depend on nor presuppose a finding that the subject actually be possessed by demons. The idea is protection, not necessarily eviction.

I suspect that other posters' estimate of what Pelosi actually requested, some kind of blessing, is close to what actually happened in this case. Not that the daughter misspoke necessarily - minor exorcisms are so mild as not to be out of place in general blessings. At a human level, even though the vocabulary of the demonic is foreign to me, the basic impulse is familiar. Her home became the scene of something terrible and she now wishes it to be "restored" to its former state - everthing we associate with the words my home.

So as @Sherapy pointed out, some people would reach for the sage. A Catholic may well reach out for holy water. Different strokes for different folks. But we all prefer our homes to be places of safety and shelter.

• Like 4

Red cedar is the Algonquian preference. Sage smells like burning cow ****.:o

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Piney said:

Red cedar is the Algonquian preference. Sage smells like burning cow ****.:o

Gotta agree with you on the awful smell of sage. :D

Edited by Sherapy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1