Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

They sew 5 million American flags a year. Then politics happens

Grim Reaper 6

After three years of filming inside a factory just south of Milwaukee, Cynthia Wade and Sharon Liese will never see the American flag the same way again. We got to see how significant this little piece of fabric can be, and how much meaning people put into it,” Liese says. The Flagmakers” may be just 35 minutes long, but the documentary spends time with a wide range of workers, including a Serbian immigrant and a war survivor from Iraq. For filmmakers Wade and Liese, it was a chance to explore some uncomfortable questions.

I live in Kansas City, and I found this program where women who are refugees and immigrants were learning to sew in a sewing program. At the end of that program, they would find work somewhere, and one of the women found a job at a flag factory. Cynthia and I said, “Whoa, this is the story.” It didn’t allow for any discussion about nuance or the history of this country. You can have very complicated feelings, and so we wanted to pursue a project that held both hope and despair. 

When we found the largest American flag and flagpole manufacturing plant in the country — with more than 90 percent immigrants and refugees literally sewing the stars and stripes of our flag — we realized this was an ideal place to explore those issues. I felt like over the course of several years, the American flag had been co-opted by the very extreme right. There was this narrow, inflexible and almost belligerent sort of stance, where it was, “Always stand, and no questions asked.”

There’s this moment where you show factory employee SugarRay watching Jan. 6 coverage, and one of the insurrectionists is beating a police officer with a flagpole. I couldn’t help but think he must have been wondering, “Is that one of our flagpoles?” And then the flags get sent out, 5 million of them a year, and they become politicized. They become used as either political signals in front of somebody’s house or in the back of somebody’s pickup truck, or they literally became tools of violence during the Jan. 6 insurrection.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/they-sew-5-million-american-flags-a-year-then-politics-happens/ar-AA16G70W?cvid=9dfd92db1c36411a982a529468289c0a

Stanley Forman of the Boston Herald American (FWIW, a right-leaning newspaper) won a Pulitzer Prize for this photograph taken in April 1976. The context was a protest against court-ordered desegragation of Boston Public Schools.

Soiling_of_Old_Glory.jpg.da99a17988c4b13dc108b89398341187.jpg

23 minutes ago, Grim Reaper 6 said:

And then the flags get sent out, 5 million of them a year, and they become politicized. They become used as either political signals in front of somebody’s house or in the back of somebody’s pickup truck, or they literally became tools of violence...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

@eight bits Yup.  That pretty much sums it up.

ouch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, eight bits said:

Stanley Forman of the Boston Herald American (FWIW, a right-leaning newspaper) won a Pulitzer Prize for this photograph taken in April 1976. The context was a protest against court-ordered desegragation of Boston Public Schools.

Soiling_of_Old_Glory.jpg.da99a17988c4b13dc108b89398341187.jpg

That’s very interesting, I actually remember far to many of those events occurring. :no: The event in the photo took place when I was 17 years old and I will never forget those times, they were horrible. I recognized the same thing occurring in the United States as soon as Barrack Obama was elected President of the United States. The Tea Party was both RightWing and RightWing Religious extremism, from the time he became President those elements within our political system started bubbling to the surface. Then the personal attacks began sponsored by the Tea Party like the Birther movement which was intentionally targeting him based upon race alone. This is where Donald Trump raised is racist ugly head because Trump ran the Birther movement.

This was the first time I was aware of Trump politically which was approximately 2012 and I will never forget the day he made the statement he may run for President in 2016. After hearing that I started doing my due diligence and began looking into his back ground, and what I found told me then what a disaster it would be if he were elected. Well, the rest is history because in 2016 when Trump was elected POTUS, almost immediately the United States became a country I no longer recognized. Americans started hating Americans, immigrants legal or illegal were no longer looked upon in a positive way, minorities nationwide were being singled out and being vilified, and our Nation was split along racial and political lines, sadly everything wash being orchestrated from the White House by the President of the United States.:no:

Back to the thread, the reason this article drew me in was the duality of it. In this thread we have immigrants ( who are vilified ) hand making US Flags by hand sowing each individual stitch and producing hand made flag poles millions per year. These  items which are designed to be symbolic representations of our national pride which before their eyes became expressions of hate, literally perverted and defaced. While, the insurrection is happening the very people who produced some of our National Treasures ( Flags ) see some they most likely produced being used to strike and attack police officers ( flag poles ), flags they made with pride defaced by symbols of hare being attached to them. But, you know Eightbits, these same people continue to carry on just being thankful for what they have, because even under these circumstances this life is better than the hardships they endured getting here.

Namaste!:nw:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't get the anti-immigrant thing. A lot of my friends IRL are foreign-born naturalized US Citizens. I was a guest at one couple's citizenship ceremony. It was very moving. Even at the time I was thinking that every native-born American ought to go to one if they get the chance. Then a few years later I was at the ceremony for their daughter, also naturalized, being admitted to the practice of law up here North of the Wall.

Anyway, good thread. See you out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, eight bits said:

I don't get the anti-immigrant thing. A lot of my friends IRL are foreign-born naturalized US Citizens. I was a guest at one couple's citizenship ceremony. It was very moving. Even at the time I was thinking that every native-born American ought to go to one if they get the chance. Then a few years later I was at the ceremony for their daughter, also naturalized, being admitted to the practice of law up here North of the Wall.

Anyway, good thread. See you out there.

Unfortunately, I do get it and it's sad. Since the early 2000s the Republican party has been slowly dividing into two separate entities while once the party consisted of conservatives and moderates, now you have the Ultra-Conservatives this group makes up the Extreme Rightwing Party members, and the Radical Religious Rightwing. The most recent group that met these criteria was the Tea Party and it was not founded by Republicans. Two Billionaire brothers 74-year-old Charles and David, 70, Koch have invested widely in the outcome of the November 2009 elections.

David Koch was the one who promoted this concept to a group of Republicans who would be the face of the movement, and this is a cautionary tale of why one of the biggest enemies in political system Special Interest Groups are. This is where Donald Trump began his push for the President, the part Trump played was the Birther scandal, and from 2012 forward his part gained him support from the Tea Party which lead him to the Presidency.

Now, history repeats itself, Birther movenemt 2.0: President Donald Trump on Thursday promoted a false and racist theory that Sen. Kamala Harris, the first woman of color on a major political party general election ticket, and who was born in California, is not eligible to be vice president because her parents were immigrants. Trump floats false, racist birther theory about Kamala Harris - ABC News (go.com)

House Tea Party stars a decade on: Where are they now?

""When the Tea Party upended order in the House of Representatives a decade ago, its brash leaders ushered in a new era of the Republican Party. The rise of President Trump exposed a widening gulf in the priorities of the movement. Some firebrands chafed at Trump’s departure from the party’s long-held economic and foreign policy principles. Others simply retired. Still, an overwhelming number of other tea partiers elected in 2010 embraced"" Trump as a capstone to the movement’s long battle against Democrat-led overreach.House Tea Party stars a decade on: Where are they now? | Washington Examiner

How Donald Trump Perpetuated the 'Birther' Movement for YearsHow Donald Trump Perpetuated the 'Birther' Movement for Years - ABC News (go.com)

DAVID KOCH’S MOST SIGNIFICANT LEGACY IS THE ELECTION OF DONALD TRUMP:David Koch Gave Us Donald Trump (theintercept.com)

HOW BIG OIL AND BIG TOBACCO PARTNERED WITH THE KOCH BROTHERS TO TAKE OVER THE GOP:The Secret Origins of the Tea Party (time.com)

We Are The National Tea Party

"'The Tea Party are those who possess a strong belief in the Judeo-Christian values embedded in our great founding documents. BS:lol:We believe the responsibility of our beloved nation is etched upon the hearts of true Patriots from every race, religion, national origin, BS :lol:and walk of life sharing a common belief in the values which made and keep our beloved nation great. This belief led to the creation of the modern-day Tea Party.""

""TeaParty.org is a national nonprofit organization filled with fearless Patriots with a solitary stance; The Tea was brewing! Young and old, wealthy and poor, patriots of all colors and backgrounds began to rally with a new energy, energy reminiscent of pictures in old American History books. Word of mouth began to spread. Citizens began calling loved ones, proclaiming, “We The People Rule!” BS :P many blogged on their laptops, or messaged family and friends. The energy began to sweep across the nation.""

We serve as a beacon to the masses who have lost their way, a light illuminating the path to the original intentions of our Founding Fathers. BS:lol: About Tea Party | Tea Party

Tea Party movement: Billionaire Koch brothers who helped it grow: Tea Party movement: Billionaire Koch brothers who helped it grow | Tea Party movement | The Guardian

List of politicians affiliated with the Tea Party movement: List of politicians affiliated with the Tea Party movement - Wikipedia

Trump’s Staunch GOP Supporters Have Roots in the Tea Party:Trump’s Staunch GOP Supporters Have Roots in the Tea Party | Pew Research Center

Edited by Grim Reaper 6