Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

AI-generated party pics look eerily real

OverSword

A developer on Twitter is going viral after sharing what appears to be vintage-style snaps from a house party, created with artificial intelligence. And if you stare at them too long, it won’t be a party keeping you up, but the nightmares of the “uncanny valley” that keep you from sleep.

The photos, posted by @mileszim on Twitter, appear to depict fun, candid moments at a party. Though the faces may look real enough, they are, in fact, amalgamations of countless faces conjured by a machine.

To create the images, Twitter user Miles used an AI platform called Midjourney, an independent research lab that creates images by using a written text description.

Although the images look legit at a glance, some of the party-goers are missing key body parts.

Link

• Like 4

Hard to know what to say about that.  In another year or two with all the bugs fixed, its going to be hard to tell the difference between reality and AI generated scenes.  Governments, blackmailers, and media will probably find many uses for it.  I will be anxiously awaiting Max Headroom to announce he is running for public office.  Even better than the head in a jar technology  of Futurama

• Like 4

THAT is creepy.  Imagine how real it will seem in a few years.  We'll never be able to trust images or videos again.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, and-then said:

THAT is creepy.  Imagine how real it will seem in a few years.  We'll never be able to trust images or videos again.

You trust thrm now?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

AI still has real issues with hands (as do a lot of non-ai artists, so I hear).

Suspect it'll only take a year or two to sort that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Occupational Hubris said:

AI can't do hands or teeth yet 

I think all it would take is to feed some 3d mouth molds from orthodontists into AI and they would be perfect teeth.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, joc said:

I think all it would take is to feed some 3d mouth molds from orthodontists into AI and they would be perfect teeth.

The perfect teeth for our perfect AI overloads. What could be more fitting?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You trust thrm now?

Usually, yeah.  

Idk all those people in this threads pix have a weird off look to them not unlike what i recall my dream actors to have, its odd AI can get things like number of eyes or arms correct but gets crazy on fingers and teeth, i would think that should be easy to fix but in an intriguing glitch.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Tiggs said:

The Master of the Hand was of course, Leonardo Da Vinci.   He was incredible because he had a complete and total understanding of exactly what the bones and muscles looked like and how they made the hands work.

This is one of the really scary things about AI...they have incomplete knowledge about subjects and so come to erroneous conclusions.  It isn't the number of teeth that concerns me.  It's the possible lacking in the depth of logical thought process, the 'teeth' of logic, that may cause AI in the future to come to erroneous and disastrous conclusions about humans.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tiggs said:

12 hours ago, joc said:

I'm wondering if maybe AI is self evolving and humans won't need to tweak this stuff and AI will learn to correct that on it's own?  Seems like that would be the goal.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OverSword said:

I'm wondering if maybe AI is self evolving and humans won't need to tweak this stuff and AI will learn to correct that on it's own?  Seems like that would be the goal.

Not currently. An AGI (the G stands for General) would be able to, but we're still a way off one of those (though we're a lot closer now than I thought we would be, in my lifetime).

10 hours ago, joc said:

The Master of the Hand was of course, Leonardo Da Vinci.   He was incredible because he had a complete and total understanding of exactly what the bones and muscles looked like and how they made the hands work.

This is one of the really scary things about AI...they have incomplete knowledge about subjects and so come to erroneous conclusions.  It isn't the number of teeth that concerns me.  It's the possible lacking in the depth of logical thought process, the 'teeth' of logic, that may cause AI in the future to come to erroneous and disastrous conclusions about humans.

Unlike DaVinci, it doesn't understand human anatomy; it just hallucinates the best fit for random noise it can, based on all a mix of all of the images that it's seen before.

In short -- it's missing that whole layer that understands what it's drawing.

But sometimes, it'll hallucinate so well that it seems like it does.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

People are going crazy with AI. Especially to imitate art and alternative versions of fictional worlds...and when it comes to 'art'...you can use words like Star Wars for example and select a filter. The AI will generate an uncanny image that resembles the idea but the result is somewhat different. We're approaching Black Mirror territory 

blank_tradingcard - 2022-12-05T164721.191.jpg

Edited by Mapusoul