Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Justice in Iran

The Caspian Hare

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7209473/

user posted image

Two Iranian police officers watch as Mohammed Bijeh, convicted of raping and murdering 16 children, is hanged Wednesday in Pakdasht, Iran.

Photo: Vahid Salemi / AP

Serial rapist and killer lashed, hanged in Iran

23-year-old convicted of slaying 16 boys executed in town where crimes occurred

The Associated Press

Updated: 2:26 p.m. ET March 16, 2005

PAKDASHT, Iran - A young man convicted of raping and murdering 16 boys was lashed 100 times, and then hanged Wednesday in front of a large, angry crowd who pelted him with stones and scuffled with police.

Mohammed Bijeh, 23, confessed in court to raping and murdering the children, between March and September 2004. Iranian media have said Bijeh burned the bodies of his victims, all boys between 8 and 15.

Bijeh was sentenced to one death sentence for each murder he confessed and 100 lashes of the whip for the rapes.

An accomplice, Ali Gholampour, was acquitted of involvement in the murders but was convicted of taking part in some of the kidnappings, to which he confessed. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison and 100 lashes.

Execution in town where murders occurred

Bijeh’s verdict was carried out in Pakdasht, a small, impoverished town about 19 miles southeast of Tehran, after being upheld by the Supreme Court. It was the same town where the murders took place.

Approximately 5,000 spectators — including women and children — gathered to watch the flogging and hanging. Riot police circled the area.

Some in the crowd threw stones at Bijeh as he was flogged, shirtless and hands tied to an iron pole. He fell to his knees three times as he received the lashes.

A relative of one of the victims broke police security and attacked Bijeh with a knife, wounding his back before police dragged him away.

After the flogging, a rope was put around Bijeh’s neck and attached to a hook on a crane. The crane’s arm jerked upward and Bijeh’s body dangled, drawing applause from the crowd.

Some people burst into tears, crying out the names of their injured children. Some shouted, “Shame on you, Bijeh!”

After about 20 minutes, the body was lowered and a doctor confirmed Bijeh was dead.

Scuffles after sentence carried out

Many in the crowd, some of them other family members of the victims, repeatedly tried to approach Bijeh’s body but were prevented by riot police. Scuffles continued for at least half an hour.

The case provoked national outrage in Iran. Sixteen police officers were reprimanded for dereliction of duty and the Interior Ministry criticized the police for failing to catch the suspects after the first crime.

Many of the people in Pakdasht supported the hanging.

“Public executions reduce the occurrence of offenses. Bijeh destroyed many families. He deserved more than death,” said resident Zahra Khaleghi.

But Dariush Mehraban said public hangings only promote violence.

“Many criminals have been hanged, but offenses have never reduced. It’s an ugly scene that a human being is hanged even if he has committed many crimes. Revenge is not the solution,” said Merhraban, who watched the hanging.

Convicts are hanged in public in Iran only if a court deems that their offenses deeply affected public sentiment.

Iranian courts are controlled by hard-liners. Iranian reformists say public executions hurt the country’s international image and reflect badly on Islam.

© 2005 The Associated Press.

================================

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cyberlord

• morpheas

• wunarmdscissor

• dmgspycat

should have been drawn and quartered, hangin's too good for it.

I dont like the idea an eye for an eye but in this case i think he got his just deserts thumbsup.gif

They could have asked me to supplie my tried and trusted rope

He deserved every bit of pain he went through, the evil little b****** that he is! angry.gif

and if he was innocent and they discovered in the future they made a mistake.......?

That should've hung him with supports, to cause pain but not death, and let the crowd stone him to death.

Sick.

Wow, I think america needs to start borrowing ideas from Iran to deal with sickos! grin2.gif To many sickos are getting away with light punishments. sad.gif

and if he was innocent and they discovered in the future they made a mistake.......?

529397[/snapback]

"Whoopsie-daisy"? tongue.gif

IF he was guilty, then, good riddance. One less child raping animal on this earth.

hmm ok when it happens to one of your family and you later find out theyre innocent am not so sure youd feel the same way manfred.

Things of this nature should be dissuaded not encouraged. Public hangings only incite mob violence and encourage hatred. This man would have benefitted the system by being on a work farm for a very very long time...making some kind of restitution. Also, a case should always remain open in case new evidence should be presented that proves innocence. The system IS fallible. Maybe you people should all get " what you deserve" too. Sounds like this thread has a lot of muderous instincts themselves just lying beneath the surface but you all mask it with self-rightiousness. What this man may have done is a very sad thing indeed but don't think yourselves just in desiring his cruel murder...you are better than that right?

A--should have hang him by the nuts--takes lonnger to die and more entertaining.

B--a couple of weeks ago there was a case there with a slow girl being stoned to death for "unmuslim behaviour"--which constituted of here being pimped by her parents since 12 . the last words of hers were--mom you promised to bring me a red dress.A few days before that a 16 year old rape victim got stoned and her assailants got 20 whips each.

A--should have hang him by the nuts--takes lonnger to die and more entertaining.

B--a couple of weeks ago there was a case there with a slow girl being stoned to death for "unmuslim behaviour"--which constituted of here being pimped by her parents since 12 . the last words of hers were--mom you promised to bring me a red dress.A few days before that a 16 year old rape victim got stoned and her assailants got 20 whips each.

534151[/snapback]

So your point, along with everyone else on this thread is its ok to fuel your own hatred as long as you can justify it? I don't like what this guy might have done either and I don't think rape should be taken lightly...my point is that you lower yourselves to thier level by entertaining hateful murderous feelings. There should never be cruel and unusual punishment. You never know if the system messed up and made someone innocent suffer. What have you done in your life that we may feel you should be hung by your nuts for? Maybe you should be choked for talking back to your mother?

Has nothing to do with hatred or justifiing it. He tortured and killed--all I want is justice. And the system is wrong sometimes--but it's right most of the time--what about the rights of the victims? Don't they deserve pay back?For what he did there is no such thing as cruel and unusual panishment--he deserves everything you can think of and then some.

For it is the retributional idea of hate is what perpetuates and encourages the static-ness of humanity's awareness and thier sins. The cycle will continue until we all learn to Love again.

hmmm... and im guessing if he raped girls, he would have gotten off and the girls would have been at fault.... sorry but that is one (messed) up country and religion.. angry.gif

Edited out profanity, using "***" in place of letters does not mean it is any more acceptable.

Edited by Thistle

hmmm... and im guessing if he raped girls, he would have gotten off and the girls would have been at fault.... sorry but that is one (messed) up country and religion.. angry.gif

534583[/snapback]

We know that Tigger but if some of us mentioned it we would be sitting on the side lines for three days

Thanks for saying what a lot of us think but cant put it in for certain reasons thumbsup.gif

Edited by Thistle

I love the part in "The Lord of the Rings" where Frodo tells Gandalf that Gollum should be killed and Gandolfs reply is something to the effect..."don't be eager to deal out death, there are many who are dead that deserved to live...can you give them life?"...Let the familys involved work it out with the states laws...don't be so personal about it , hating and encouraging mob rule. Geez tigger...in a lot of ways Australia is f@#$ed up just as much as my USA...countrys are like people...they need time to develop intelligently and wisely...we will all get there together one day.

what i am getting at, is that in muslim countries. women are not treated equal at all.. they have to cover themselves so as to protect themselves.. every inch of skin, including the hair must be covered, lest they tempt some man who cant control himself over veiwing a lock of hair, or some flesh about the wrist. and god forbid they are wearing the wrong type of clothing and the religious clothing police (padma?) find them.... then they are in trouble for that too. why should a woman be killed because a man raped her... and the man get off? you think this is justice? i think not. i dont think they should be killed.. but they should be punished for what they do.. and if they keep re-offending. then maybe need harsher penalties.

in australia, there was a case not more than 6 months ago where 2 ladies were gang raped by 6 men (if i remember correctly) one man got 50 + years in jail.... this is retribution.... the others got around 30 + years... apparently they were "good boys" so said by their family, and just playing around. any person that commits this atrocity should be castrated. how dare they commit such a violent and aggresive act on a person.

the fact is a country can not develop until they get rid of their extreme ruling and religion.. the koran is read that everyone who is not muslim are infidels, and if they do not become muslim they should be killed.. im sorry, but i really dont believe that they will develop peace. not until they can understand that they are all equal, men, women, children of all religions and walks of life..it is the extremists who ruin it for all..

here is a link you may find interesting.. i find it a little scary to read

thanks for the link tigger... neat to have them all in one list like that...

what i am getting at, is that in muslim countries. women are not treated equal at all.. they have to cover themselves so as to protect themselves.. every inch of skin, including the hair must be covered,  lest they tempt some man who cant control himself over veiwing a lock of hair, or some flesh about the wrist. and god forbid they are wearing the wrong type of clothing and the religious clothing police (padma?) find them.... then they are in trouble for that too. why should a woman be killed because a man raped her... and the man get off? you think this is justice? i think not. i dont think they should be killed.. but they should be punished for what they do.. and if they keep re-offending. then maybe need harsher penalties.

in australia, there was a case not more than 6 months ago where 2 ladies were gang raped by 6 men (if i remember correctly) one man got 50 + years in jail.... this is retribution.... the others got around 30 + years... apparently they were "good boys" so said by their family, and just playing around. any person that commits this atrocity should be castrated. how dare they commit such a violent and aggresive act on a person.

the fact is a country can not develop until they get rid of their extreme ruling and religion.. the koran is read that everyone who is not muslim are infidels, and if they do not become muslim they should be killed.. im sorry, but i really dont believe that they will develop peace. not until they can understand that they are all equal, men, women, children of all religions and walks of life..it is the extremists who ruin it for all..

536194[/snapback]

There was nothing in that link you gave that was any different than the Old Testement itself...different wording but same meaning...i.e.-"eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". I don't believe in that crap either but my point is that muslims aren't the only ones who believe in this stuff. You are seeing how the Hebrews probably lived 2000 years ago...women didn't have many rights then either. It is a shame that thier culture hasn't transcended old ways yet, but they will in time.

I don't even think religion is the issue here...I think it is stupidity. Look how we interpret christianity today as opposed to the Dark Ages.

About the topic on this thread...I was just shocked that everyone on the list didn't want justice....they wanted vengeance and bloodshed. Castration is a cruel and unusual punishment. Let the wise decide this mans fate. Not a lynch mob.

what i am getting at, is that in muslim countries. women are not treated equal at all.. they have to cover themselves so as to protect themselves.. every inch of skin, including the hair must be covered, lest they tempt some man who cant control himself over veiwing a lock of hair, or some flesh about the wrist. and god forbid they are wearing the wrong type of clothing and the religious clothing police (padma?) find them.... then they are in trouble for that too. why should a woman be killed because a man raped her... and the man get off? you think this is justice? i think not. i dont think they should be killed.. but they should be punished for what they do.. and if they keep re-offending. then maybe need harsher penalties.

ok i agree women in muslim countries are treated awfully.

but how does that justify the death penalty.

You cant bring someone back.

Mistakes can happen.

Looke and the Birmingham Six and Guilford Four

they were jailed for terrosim offences and they were COMPLETLEY exhonerated , they wouldve without a doubt been handed out the death penalt , in two cases 10 people wouldve been MURDERED, if thats justice then well.....