Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Right-wing Quran burning in Sweden enrages Turkey and throws a new wrench in Nordics’ NATO bid

OverSword

It’s now been eight months since Sweden and Finland declared their intent to join NATO, a move that upended the countries’ longstanding policies of nonalignment following nearby Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.

While most of the organization’s members want to fast-track the new joiners’ memberships, tensions and a fresh spat between Sweden and Turkey threaten to extend that waiting time — perhaps indefinitely.

All 30 of NATO’s current states need to approve a new member. And Turkey, a key geopolitical player and home to the alliance’s second-largest military, stands as the primary vocal opponent to the Nordic countries’ membership.

The reasons behind Ankara’s opposition are complex, but center mainly on Sweden’s support for Kurdish groups that Turkey considers to be terrorists, and on weapons embargoes that both Sweden and Finland, along with other EU countries, put on Turkey for its targeting of Kurdish militias in Syria.

Sweden and Finland are working to try and turn things around in their relations with Turkey, but events of recent weeks have threatened to dash hopes for progress.

Link

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Hi OverSword

The book burning was not a government sanctioned act and was done by some of the more radical citizens of unknown heritage. Seems like Turkey is blowing the situation out of proportion to me and using it as an excuse to exclude Sweden from joining NATO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi OverSword

The book burning was not a government sanctioned act and was done by some of the more radical citizens of unknown heritage. Seems like Turkey is blowing the situation out of proportion to me and using it as an excuse to exclude Sweden from joining NATO.

Turkey was already objecting I think.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Turkey was already objecting I think.

Hi OverSword

Yes they were but had said recently that they would allow it but now seems like they are looking for excuses 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi OverSword

Yes they were but had said recently that they would allow it but now seems like they are looking for excuses 

I think Finland will make it but not Sweden. Finland should make it's own, independent bid to join NATO.

Turkey's real issues seem to be with Sweden in particular.

Edited by Occult1