Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New geosciences study shows Triassic fossils that reveal origins of living amphibians

Still Waters

A team of paleontologists from Virginia Tech and the U.S. Petrified Forest National Park, among others, have discovered the first "unmistakable" Triassic-era caecilian fossil—the oldest-known caecilian fossils—thus extending the record of this small, burrowing mammal by roughly 35 million years. The find also fills a gap of at least 87 million years in the known historical fossil record of the amphibian-like creature.

The fossil was first co-discovered by Ben Kligman, a doctoral student in the Department of Geosciences, part of the Virginia Tech College of Science, at Arizona's Petrified Forest National Park during a dig in 2019. Named by Kligman as Funcusvermis gilmorei, the fossil extends the history of caecilians 35 million years back to Triassic Period, roughly 250 million to 200 million years ago.

https://phys.org/news/2023-01-geosciences-triassic-fossils-reveal-amphibians.html

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-05646-5

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Origins of living amphibians, hmm makes me wonder if there were origins of non-living amphibians.

Extinct you mean?  I think there are orders that didn't make the cut and faded away.

Just now, Tatetopa said:

Extinct you mean?  I think there are orders that didn't make the cut and faded away.

Hi Tate

No I just thought it was worded odd as all amphibians would have had to been alive to have had an origin.

• Like 1