Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tyre Nichols: five Memphis ex-police officers charged with murder

pellinore

Five former police officers have been charged with murder over the death of a black driver who was allegedly beaten up after a traffic stop.

Tyre Nichols, 29, died in hospital three days after the confrontation in the city of Memphis, Tennessee, on 7 January.

Bodycam footage of the altercation is expected to be released on Friday evening.

Tyre Nichols killing: US braced for release of 'sickening' footage of officers 'beating up driver' who later died | US News | Sky News

Edited by pellinore
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

• The title was changed to Tyre Nichols: five Memphis ex-police officers charged with murder

At least these local officials had the good sense to do the right thing.

Say what you want, but without pressure from BLM movement, I wonder if we would’ve ever seen any real change in how bad cops were handled in the U.S..

The folks that I went to high school with, who later became cops were the misfits, the picked on, and the bad apples. They’ve been waiting their whole lives for payback. All of them had some kind of chip on their shoulder.

I tried to befriend one of these guys, and did my best to unscrew that messed up mind of his, but it was impossible, because he was so severely damaged by life experiences.

We desperately need some form psychological testing for this job, and let’s find out how badly damaged they are, before we hire them.

You’ve got to have some love in your heart to be a good peace officer, and there are lots of really good cops, but for too long, the overall culture prevented them from helping get rid of the bad ones.

My most recent traffic stop was a female state trooper,  who was a top-notch professional. When I looked into her background, after the stop, I could see why. She was an animal rights, advocate, and a good human being. I hope and pray that she is well paid, because these jobs matter.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have to be downtown tomorrow so hopefully this won't turn into another big race based riot.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Raptor Witness said:

The folks that I went to high school with, who later became cops were the misfits, the picked on, and the bad apples. They’ve been waiting their whole lives for payback. All of them had some kind of chip on their shoulder.

My most recent traffic stop was a female state trooper,  who was a top-notch professional. When I looked into her background, after the stop, I could see why. She was an animal rights, advocate, and a good human being. I hope and pray that she is well paid, because these jobs matter.

It is similar in the UK, especially in the cities. We have been told by the police themselves that we can expect two or three court cases a week in the coming year as they vet themselves. Officers actually raping and murdering women and being multiple rapists are rare, but there shouldn't be one case. The culture is toxic so that even though fellow officers suspect what is going on, they are subject to bullying of they try to raise it with their seniors.

• Thanks 1

"The folks that I went to high school with, who later became cops were the misfits, the picked on, and the bad apples. They’ve been waiting their whole lives for payback. All of them had some kind of chip on their shoulder. "

Tend to agree with you on that one. I've known several police officers & apart from one who is now in his 70s, all were flawed characters.

• Like 1

I know the body cam footage will be released today and from what I hear it's brutal.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, itsnotoutthere said:

I doubt that somehow, black lives apparently only matter when it's a white cop.

This is only a narrative perpetuated by those who wish to demean the BLM Movement as a whole. The movement is and has ALWAYS been about the SYSTEMIC Racism within our police and judicial systems. What you're spouting is just a reverberation of the dog whistle you heard and hopefully didn't notice. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Robotic Jew said:

This is only a narrative perpetuated by those who wish to demean the BLM Movement as a whole. The movement is and has ALWAYS been about the SYSTEMIC Racism within our police and judicial systems. What you're spouting is just a reverberation of the dog whistle you heard and hopefully didn't notice. 

https://news.yahoo.com/real-takeaway-black-lives-matter-075830245.html

• Like 3

“Why traffic stops can be so dangerous for Black Americans like Tyre Nichols”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/23574206/tyre-nichols-traffic-stop-deaths-footage

The actions of the police aside, the “danger” comes from fleeing, resisting and fighting with the police. The narrative the “traffic stops are dangerous for black Americans” perpetuates an irrational fear that can lead to the exact behavior that is at the root of so many of these incidents, 

• Like 6

The Videos was just released a few minutes ago...  Won't post it but...

Riots in 3-2-1

Edited by acidhead
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, acidhead said:

Riots in 3-2-1

Just got an alert from building management (at work) notifying there are (riots) protests scheduled for this evening and to be safe on the way out of the building.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Just got an alert from building management (at work) notifying there are (riots) protests scheduled for this evening and to be safe on the way out of the building.

idiots love any excuse for a riot

• Like 1

Well it seems like the police department did as it should have done. Took action, explained why, then  released the video.  Certainly better than a cover up it would seem.

• Like 5

I heard the Mom over the radio this morning telling people to please be peaceful and not destroy their community.

So if riots do happen it's people who don't care about the death 

• Like 5

They are fighting in Times Square. I'm watching it on News Nation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, acidhead said:

Riots in 3-2-1

Holy moly that is a doozy……..

I was watching and thinking, “see, if he hadn’t fought with the police this wouldn’t be happening. Then, at a certain point, I was like “even if he fought the police, that shouldn’t be happening

He was in two altercations with the police (bad idea). My theory is the worst beat down happened when an officer assaulted in the first altercation caught up to the chase (suspect and other officers) and took revenge on the already subdued suspect. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is what I saw from Times Square. This is from CBS New York. I watched some live feed and I don't see anything violent happening. 

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is live from Memphis and it's a loud protest but I haven't see any rioting.

• Like 2

I saw some footage from NYC of a police car being smashed but that’s all I’ve seen so far. 

The first video I saw of the beating was from a traffic camera. I just watched one from a body cam…… yikes

Edited by el midgetron
  • Like 4

I saw this earlier in the morning. She believes the stop itself was questionable because they can't find any surveillance video that showed reckless driving that prompted the stop. I heard from another news report that Memphis has streetlight cameras on many of it's streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJRjg3EOXAQ

Sorry. It won't embed. It's the Memphis Police Chief talking on Good Morning America this morning. She has a lot to say.

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

I saw some footage from NYC of a police car being smashed but that’s all I’ve seen so far. 

The first video I saw of the beating was from a traffic camera. I just watched one from a body cam…… yikes

That's what I saw too. I just posted that Memphis has a lot of traffic cameras that are mounted on streetlights and can be moved remotely by headquarters. They were watching the officers using that also. In the video I just posted with the Police Chief she says she questions the stop because they can't find any of the reckless driving that caused the stop on any of the street cameras on the roads Nichols was on.

• Like 5

Opinion: The police who killed Tyre Nichols were Black. But they might still have been driven by racism

“The 29-year-old Black man died earlier this month after a police traffic stop and violent arrest in Memphis, Tennessee.”

“By all accounts, Nichols was a good guy: a 145-pound skateboarder, an Instagram photographer, a Starbucks aficionado. Learning that your child’s life was senselessly stolen from him is every Black parent’s nightmare.”

“Black people are not immune to anti-Black messages 

One of the sad facts about anti-Black racism is that Black people ourselves are not immune to its pernicious effects. Society’s message that Black people are inferior, unworthy and dangerous is pervasive. Over many decades, numerous experiments have shown that these ideas can infiltrate Black minds as well as White. Self-hatred is a real thing.”

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/27/opinions/tyre-nichols-memphis-police-department-jones/index.html

…………………

GIANT PILE OF **** 

These kinds of things everyone can agree on. They are clear and unifying. What does the establishment do? It tries to use the same thing to divide us,……..

Edited by el midgetron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, el midgetron said:

GIANT PILE OF **** 

These kinds of things everyone can agree on. They are clear and unifying. What does the establishment do? It tries to use the same thing to divide us,……..

Question everybody should be asking themselves is Why does the establishment continue to divide everyone? What purpose does it serve? I believe most individuals on this forum deep down know why but feel, as I do, powerless to do anything about it.  Some will never see through it and will continue to allow themselves to be led like obediently trained dogs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1