Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tyre Nichols: five Memphis ex-police officers charged with murder

pellinore

9 minutes ago, DieChecker said:

Ah, but budgetary constraints

And quotas so they can't always hire the most qualified.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Michelle said:

And quotas so they can't always hire the most qualified.

Often true. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Because your entire hypothesis has been statistically disproven

I didn't present any hypothesis.

I asked you a simple question. You can't answer it. Or more likely won't because it involves considering an alternative point of view.

Edited by Setton
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, acidhead said:

The media tries so hard to divide everybody over skin color it's sickening.

GOOD NEWS on that front. 
The fact the the officers are being charged, and charged so promptly, is a sign of systemic racism according to the usual suspects. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

GOOD NEWS on that front. 
The fact the the officers are being charged, and charged so promptly, is a sign of systemic racism according to the usual suspects. 

Guy here at work says it's racism.

Because if they were white the videos wouldn't have been released. Or would have been better suppressed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

GOOD NEWS on that front. 

The reason the officers were immediately dealt with is because this has to be the most clearcut, egregious example of extreme police brutality people have ever seen.

It was VERY CLEAR what the officers were doing to that poor man, then they started spitballing about how they were going to get away with it. They hit him so hard they broke a baton on his face. Holy ****. They were holding his hands back while the officers took turns beating him. They were giving him confusing commands to make it sound like he was resisting arrest. 

I've never seen anything like it and I hope to never see it again. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, susieice said:

They can't justify his being stopped. I'm not sure if it suggests anything but he wasn't driving recklessly. I guess we'll have to wait for the officers to say why they stopped him ….

The police routinely prey upon certain people and groups, and when it goes bad, we find out that the crime stoppers are sometimes, criminals themselves. 

You couldn’t pay me to live in Memphis, TN. I’ve always gotten a bad vibe there, but I couldn’t put my finger on why. I don’t even like stopping there for gas. 

The last time I drove through there, and I had to stop for gas, and I tried to get as close to the Saint Jude Hospital, as I could, but that was a bad neighborhood too.

I’ve never been to Graceland, because I have no desire to visit Memphis.

I think somebody has already said it.  Due process is mentioned twice in the Constitution.  Nobody will lose life or liberty without due process of law. Equal justice for all citizens and due process are kind of the glue that holds the whole thing together. I

f police can inflict corporal punishment or death without due process, then the rest of the Constitutional guarantees become worthless paper.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Leaving color out of it….how many video clips have you seen ..when a suspect was determined to be unarmed ..and NOT A THREAT… but still, a cop keeps twisting the guys arm behind his back and SCREAMING  ,STOP RESISTING!    When someone has you in a PAINFUL hold..you move INVOLUNTARILY!    Cops need to back off and use their heads instead of ,senseless, brute force.    They should behave like PEACE OFFICERS…not gangbngers!  They are to maintain Law and Order.. any suspect is, by law, presumed innocent, until Proven guilty in a court of law.       Even if a cop says he saw the suspect do something…. He is not the judge or jury.  How long does the senseless violence continue?   Are we Soft on Crime if we act according to LAW?   The whole DEFUND THE POLICE! hysteric is a misinterpretation.  We the People want CHANGE .. not legalized chaos.        Sorry to ramble.. it’s a mess that needs to be cleaned up. !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, lightly said:

Leaving color out of it….how many video clips have you seen ..when a suspect was determined to be unarmed ..and NOT A THREAT… but still, a cop keeps twisting the guys arm behind his back and SCREAMING  ,STOP RESISTING!    When someone has you in a PAINFUL hold..you move INVOLUNTARILY!    Cops need to back off and use their heads instead of ,senseless, brute force.    They should behave like PEACE OFFICERS…not gangbngers!  They are to maintain Law and Order.. any suspect is, by law, presumed innocent, until Proven guilty in a court of law.       Even if a cop says he saw the suspect do something…. He is not the judge or jury.  How long does the senseless violence continue?   Are we Soft on Crime if we act according to LAW?   The whole DEFUND THE POLICE! hysteric is a misinterpretation.  We the People want CHANGE .. not legalized chaos.        Sorry to ramble.. it’s a mess that needs to be cleaned up. !

It also doubles as bodycam audio, that's where the confusing commands come in; they are literally looking for excuses to beat the hell out of you. 

As US citizens, many also need to lose the "they should have just obeyed!" sentiment that's become so common. 

• Like 4

Yup.   Legally, we are supposed to obey a command from an officer of the law,  BUT… no one can be expected to act responsibly when they are getting the hell beat out of them for no good reason!     

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, lightly said:

Hasn’t it been established in multiple court cases that the police in America do not have a duty to “protect” or to maintain order?

• Like 3

Hasn’t it been established in multiple court cases that the police in America do not have a duty to “protect” or to maintain order?

I never heard that…every cop car and badge I’ve ever seen says “To Protect and Serve”   image.thumb.jpeg.8308d319efbd94b1164d6c07b07ab009.jpeg

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

https://www.nyc.gov/site/nypd/about/about-nypd/mission.page

The mission of the New York City Police Department is to enhance the quality of life in New York City by working in partnership with the community to enforce the law, preserve peace, protect the people, reduce fear, and maintain order.

Edited by lightly
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, lightly said:

I never heard that…every cop car and badge I’ve ever seen says “To Protect and Serve”   image.thumb.jpeg.8308d319efbd94b1164d6c07b07ab009.jpeg

That's just free speech

image.png.b69a74abacf774ee57a53d06ac2506ef.png

MISSION
The Memphis Police Department’s goal is to create and maintain an overall environment for public safety. Our vision is for Memphis to be recognized for zero tolerance for crime as well as its compassion and responsiveness to the needs, rights, and expectations of all its citizens. The Memphis Police Department continues to make great progress in providing safe environments for the citizens of Memphis while developing strong partnerships within the community.

https://memphispolice.org/about/

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, lightly said:

https://www.nyc.gov/site/nypd/about/about-nypd/mission.page

The mission of the New York City Police Department is to enhance the quality of life in New York City by working in partnership with the community to enforce the law, preserve peace, protect the people, reduce fear, and maintain order.

I think this one came up again at Uvalde.  I believe @Sir Wearer of Hatsis correct.  There have been a couple of lawsuits over this.  Sorry, I remember reading the references but can't find one ATM. They do not have to put their  lives at risk to save citizens.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Memphis has disbanded the Scorpion Unit.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/memphis-police-disband-unit-fatally-beat-tyre-nichols-96745738

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The Memphis police chief disbanded the city's so-called Scorpion unit on Saturday, citing a “cloud of dishonor” from newly released video that showed some of its officers beating Tyre Nichols to death after stopping the Black motorist.

Police Director Cerelyn “CJ” Davis acted a day after the harrowing video emerged, saying she listened to Nichols' relatives, community leaders and uninvolved officers in making the decision. Her announcement came as the nation and the city struggled to come to grips with the violence of the officers, who are also Black. The video renewed doubts about why fatal encounters with law enforcement keep happening despite repeated calls for change.

Protestors marching though downtown Memphis cheered when they heard the unit had been dissolved. One protestor said over a bullhorn that “the unit that killed Tyre has been permanently disbanded.”

Referring to “the heinous actions of a few” that dishonored the unit, Davis contradicted an earlier statement that she would keep the unit. She said it was imperative that the department “take proactive steps in the healing process.”

“It is in the best interest of all to permanently deactivate the Scorpion unit,” she said in a statement. She said the officers currently assigned to it agreed “unreservedly.”

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, lightly said:

Leaving color out of it….how many video clips have you seen ..when a suspect was determined to be unarmed ..and NOT A THREAT… but still, a cop keeps twisting the guys arm behind his back and SCREAMING  ,STOP RESISTING!

It’s a lie for the cameras. The police sometimes lie, so they can get away with murder.

I just watched the tape, or at least part of it, and I was appalled.

I lost!more faith in the justice system, after seeing this. They called their special task force unit, the “Scorpions.”  A fitting name for a special unit of cop killers. Now they are the maggot squad. Whoever let them name themselves, this, is part of the problem, and should be terminated also.

I predict that some people will take up arms against the police, because of this video. I fear it will inspire a new wave of sovereign citizens.

Edited by Raptor Witness
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Setton said:

I didn't present any hypothesis.

I asked you a simple question. You can't answer it. Or more likely won't because it involves considering an alternative point of view.

I can answer the question. The guy is an idiot with an uninformed opinion. 

22 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I can answer the question. The guy is an idiot with an uninformed opinion. 

That doesn't answer the question. The question was whether his statement is sexist or not.

Yes or no.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Setton said:

That doesn't answer the question. The question was whether his statement is sexist or not.

Yes or no.

Okay, since his opinion is uninformed based on sex then I suppose it is. My intuition tells me he is a yes man more than sexist, agreeing with these uninformed females in a misguided attempt to have sex with them which probably won’t work because they will have sex with stronger men who are brave and honest so ultimately this guy will become a bitter lonely incel immersed in mysogeny. 

Edited by OverSword

2 hours ago, OverSword said:

Okay, since his opinion is uninformed based on sex then I suppose it is. 

Ok, that was the only bit that was relevant but whatever you need to visualise it!

So, if, as we've agreed, a man can be sexist towards other men, is it possible for a black person be racist towards other black people?

Still just talking hypotheticals at this point.

• Like 3