Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egypt unveils tombs and sarcophagus in new excavation

Still Waters

Egypt on Thursday unveiled dozens of new archaeological discoveries, including two ancient tombs, at a Pharaonic necropolis just outside of the capital Cairo.

The artefacts, unearthed during a year-long excavation, were found beneath an ancient stone enclosure near the Saqqara pyramids and date back to the fifth and sixth dynasties of the Old Kingdom, spanning from roughly 2500 B.C to 2100 B.C., the excavation team said.

One of the uncovered tombs belonged to a priest from the fifth dynasty known as Khnumdjedef, while the other tomb belonged to an official named Meri, a palace official who held the title of “the keeper of the secrets,” the team said. Other major findings from the excavation include statues, amulets, and a well-preserved sarcophagus.

Egypt's most renowned archaeologist and director of the excavation, Zahi Hawass, personally unveiled the new discoveries from the stone enclosure, known as Gisr al-Mudir.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/egypt-unveils-tombs-sarcophagus-excavation-142059002.html

Includes a slideshow of 14 images

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Here is the layout on the north Saqqara plateau, Gisr al Mudir shown in red:

1089923738_Screenshot2023-01-26at12-45-45Fig.1.PlanofSaqqarashowingthegreatenclosure(Gisrel-Mudir).png.3472fbdc3a7bc9bd251459c1984af8ce.png

It's not surprising these tombs were found there, only surprising it took so long to dig them up.  Perhaps it was done in a hurry so that Dr. Hawass can save face from his (mis)pronouncement last September that he had the DNA results from Nefertiti's purported mummy...a statement which turned out to be less than truthful.  /s

Edited by Wistman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Archaeologists say they have found a gold leaf-covered mummy sealed inside a sarcophagus that had not been opened for 4,300 years.

A golden opportunity to discover amazing new insights, or another excuse to bash Zahi Hawass?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64415816

"Critics have accused Egypt's government of prioritising media-grabbing finds over hard academic research in order to attract more tourism."  Is that really fair?  At least they're not just making stuff up and blaming aliens or vanished civilizations.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Archeologists may have uncovered the oldest and "most complete" mummy ever found in Egypt during a recent excavation at a site in Saqqara, about 20 miles from Cairo. Dr. Zahi Hawass, the country's former antiquities minister, and his team discovered the mummy, which was covered in gold leaf, inside a large rectangular limestone sarcophagus at the bottom of a 50-foot shaft, he said in a statement. The remains belonged to a man named Heka-shepes. "The sarcophagus was found sealed with mortar, just as the ancient Egyptians had left it 4,300 years ago," Dr. Hawass said on Facebook Thursday.

"This mummy may be the oldest and most complete mummy found in Egypt to date."  The discovery was part of a "group of Old Kingdom tombs," which included resting places belonging to Khnum-djed-ef, "a priest in the pyramid complex of Unas," and "Meri, who was an official in the royal palace," according to the statement. Another tomb was found that also belonged to a priest and contained "nine beautiful statues." The priest was likely named Messi, Dr. Hawass said, based a "false door that was found near the statues."

4,300-Year-Old Mummy Covered in Gold Is Among the Dazzling Discoveries Made at Egyptian Site (msn.com)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow.  Exciting that they are still finding such complete records of that time period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, and-then said:

Wow.  Exciting that they are still finding such complete records of that time period.

Actually, it seems they have only begun to scratch the surface. :tu:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/26/2023 at 9:50 AM, Wistman said:

Here is the layout on the north Saqqara plateau, Gisr al Mudir shown in red:

1089923738_Screenshot2023-01-26at12-45-45Fig.1.PlanofSaqqarashowingthegreatenclosure(Gisrel-Mudir).png.3472fbdc3a7bc9bd251459c1984af8ce.png

It's not surprising these tombs were found there, only surprising it took so long to dig them up.  Perhaps it was done in a hurry so that Dr. Hawass can save face from his (mis)pronouncement last September that he had the DNA results from Nefertiti's purported mummy...a statement which turned out to be less than truthful.  /s

Of long interest has been the dating of Gisr el-Mudir which some argue the 2nd Dynasty ( I disagree and think the evidence is far to slim), some say 3rd or later. Some, like Colin Reader, believe Gisr el-Mudir is the Men-Netjeret spoken of in the Palermo Stone (I disagree). Anhoo, interesting that Gisr el-Mudir  contains a late OK cemetery which may give clues as to when it was constructed.           

Edited by Thanos5150
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

Of long interest has been the dating of Gisr el-Mudir which some argue the 2nd Dynasty ( I disagree and think the evidence is far to slim), some say 3rd or later. Some, like Colin Reader, believe Gisr el-Mudir is the Men-Netjeret spoken of in the Palermo Stone (I disagree). Anhoo, interesting that Gisr el-Mudir  contains a late OK cemetery which may give clues as to when it was constructed.           

The site is begging for a thorough examination, and let me say you're right the dative attribution is based on meager evidence.  I can't help but think the new clearance there will yield better understanding.  The walls are constructed so bewilderingly uneven and it's purpose is confounding, yet its scale and positioning on the plateau makes it undeniably important.  And, just to say, I understand your unwillingness to ascribe the place to Khasekhemwy; the extant construction doesn't compare well with his other works, etc.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Thanos5150 said:

Another candidate for Men-Netjeret I had, one I think I favor more at this point, is the M1-M3 core of Djoser's stepped pyramid at Saqqara. 

....Mastabas are rectangular and the core of Djoser (M1) is a square [the only one known of its kind] and is debated whether it was ever intended to be a mastaba. Stadelmann suggest this was the nucleus of a planned pyramid, I disagree, but regardless there is no doubt it was built first.... 

A bit of a tangent, but it is worth quoting more:

In the early stages (M1 to M3) the structure had the form of a mastaba before alterations (P1 to P2) were made to create its step pyramidal form.[22] In the first stage (M1), the mastaba had a square plan 63 m (207 ft; 120 cu) in length that rose to a height of 8.4 m (28 ft; 16 cu).[2][23] This was built from a core of limestone blocks arranged in horizontal beds and bound with yellow or red clay. A 2.6 m (9 ft; 5 cu) thick casing of fine white Tura limestone was applied to the core arranged in the same horizontal manner.

For reference:

a7b734b4f70e659b4714d941468a8cbc.jpg

What this means is that M1, the square not-a-mastaba-core referred to earlier, was cased in a thick layer of fine Tura limestone which makes it highly likely this was the original finished structure.

Then a second layer of casing was added to enlarge the structure which would M2/M3. To quote above again in this context:

The alteration from mastaba to pyramid came with a shift in construction.[18] The builders used larger and better quality, roughly dressed limestone blocks – but instead of horizontal beds, they built successive inclined accretion layers 2–3 m (6.6–9.8 ft) thick.[16][34] These leaned on each other from opposite ends providing greater stability preventing a collapse.

It is worth noting again:

Found within the bowels of the pyramid, at its oldest structure, were over 40,000 stone vessels mostly dating from the 1st and 2nd Dynasties including those of Khasekhemwy. A 2nd Dynasty necropolis was found at south Saqqara including a seal which bears Khasekhemwy's name which all but assures he was contemporaneous with the necropolis which we should keep in mind it is also at Saqqara where the greatest 1st Dynasty tombs are found, curious perhaps cenotaphs to their Umm al-Qa'ab counterparts or vise versa. Regardless, the presence of the 1st and 2nd Dynasties at Saqqara is clear leaving me to wonder if "Mn-n rt", the "stone building" credited to Khasekhemwy, may in fact be one of the earlier layers of the Saqqara pyramid which was later converted by Netjerikhet (Djoser) to a stepped pyramid.

Which in light of the above it would appear if so this structure would have been M1-M3.

• Like 3