Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UFO researchers hunt for photographer behind famous UFO image

UM-Bot

It is either a doctored image (i.e hoaxed) or was some sort of experimental military aircraft.

I am going with hoax on this one.

SO.... From the link in the OP Link...

According to reports, on August 4, 1990, two young men, who were working at a hotel in Pitlochry, were taking a stroll on the A9 to Calvine near the Cairngorms when they saw a huge diamond-shaped object, about 100 feet long, hovering silently in the sky above them.

Minutes later an RAF Tornado fighter jet circled the object and one of the hotel workers on the ground below took his camera out and snapped a few pictures before the object shot vertically upwards and disappeared into the night sky.

So, the dude was like, "Huh, a weird diamond shaped thing flying up there.". And then a RAF jet came by and he was like, "Damn! NOW I need to get a picture of this!!". The diamond wasn't photo worthy by itself, but with a jet in the picture... NOW it's a event worth a picture.

Also, this pic was taken at Night? Seems like a daytime picture to me. I don't remember many 1990 cameras that fit in a pocket that took this good of pictures at night.

If I was to guess, I'd say it was simply a large home made balloon, with the diamond shape being due to the interior frame holding the skin in place.

The fact it appears to be straight facing the side, is a bit suspicious also.

A copy of one of the images captured in Calvine back in 1990

Edited by DieChecker

According to reports, on August 4, 1990, two young men, who were working at a hotel in Pitlochry, were taking a stroll on the A9 to Calvine near the Cairngorms when they saw a huge diamond-shaped object, about 100 feet long, hovering silently in the sky above them.

So we assumedly know the where, the when, and where they worked. Figure out which hotel/inn it was and figure out who worked there 30 years ago. 1990 isn't like it was 1925 or something. There's got to be records going back 30 years.

EDIT:

So I went to Pitlochry on Google Maps and entered Hotels. I thought, well how many could there be....

All of the red dots are hotels, or B&Bs.

Ok, so NOT such an easy task...

image.thumb.png.d04ca1947456cde91e0e6c3ecad6c845.png

Edited by DieChecker
  • Haha 1

i always thought that someone took a photo of an RC plane flying over a lake, while there's a hill in the background. The underside of the "diamond" is the hills' reflection on the water surface....

Edited by Cupid Stunt

Could this be early military testing of the radar deflecting properties of angled airframe structures/designs (See for example, the later F-117)? The angled “ufo” could be a tethered, metallized, rigid-framed balloon with the jet flying by to take radar imaging test data. The size of the two could just be perspective—the balloon being closer to the photographer. The oddly slightly asymmetrical shape could test different angle/shape performance with radar painting from different directions. The little “tail” could be an intentional radar corner cube reflector for positioning/targeting purposes of the test data. One could even imagine that after the test, the balloon was released and quickly went up out of sight.
Of course, the big question if the above is true: Why would they be testing in a location within possible view of the public?

Edited by Phlogiston
missing text

Lots of problems with this pic. the back story and provanance are heresay and its very crappy quality i would say this is an actual unidentified flying object except it hasnt been proven to me its really in the pic and floating or flying. And then if it is that still doesnt prove its prosaic.

The softness and graininess of the object suggests that the photo is a film composite.

As usual, although the photographer "took a few snaps", we've only seen one photo because making more than one fake photo would have been too much work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Its kind of the ufo version of the mansie champ lake monster pic, it looks totally out of place in the context of the pic its not 100% proven not to be shopped and even then it just seems off to me. In the end these pics prove nothing.

• 2 weeks later...