Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

When a gun saves a life

Myles

10 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Lol. Well now that the English troll has had his off the deep end rant with his obsession over our guns, whatyda all say we get back to posting some more "When a gun saves a life, yeah.

Now I know these are last years news, but hey, they're some good ones.

‘Good gal with a gun’: Woman with pistol kills gunman at party

'Saving countless lives.' Armed bystander praised for intervening in Greenwood mall shooting

How about that. Well that's my contribution to this thread. Lol.

If your referring to me I'm not English and you are the troll. Hopefully sober today. Gets hard to follow when you rant like a fool. 

https://www.gunviolencearchive.org/reports/child-injured-killed

Five pages and it's only February. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Gunn said:

Lol. Well now that the English troll has had his off the deep end rant with his obsession over our guns, whatyda all say we get back to posting some more "When a gun saves a life, yeah.

Now I know these are last years news, but hey, they're some good ones.

‘Good gal with a gun’: Woman with pistol kills gunman at party

'Saving countless lives.' Armed bystander praised for intervening in Greenwood mall shooting

How about that. Well that's my contribution to this thread. Lol.

First off, I'm not a troll, unless you class somebody with an opposing opinion and a much more structured argument, with supporting evidence to back it up, a troll.

Secondly, I'm not English. That should be apparent from my location details. Then again, I wouldn't expect someone with such closed-minded views, living in their own little bubble, to know any better. You're obviously one of "those" Americans who think Scotland and Wales are quaint little parts of England and not separate countries in their own right.

Edited by Jaded1
  • Thanks 1

A San Antonio homeowner defended several adults and multiple small children in his home in December by confronting an intruder with his handgun.

San Antonio police say the homeowner heard someone attempting to break into the side window of his home around 6 p.m. earlier this month, prompting him to grab his gun to confront the intruder. The homeowner fired two shots, striking the intruder in the chest.

Louisiana mom and Air Force veteran was sitting in gridlocked traffic on the interstate with her 2-year-old son in February when an intruder attempted to enter her vehicle, prompting her to pull out a gun.

"You shouldn't have to navigate your own city like a war zone. It's un-American," Charise Taylor, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan, told WDSU. "The crime is out of control, and it's terrifying. At this point, having to use the same tactics in an American city that you use in Iraq and Afghanistan simply to navigate through the city, it's scary, and I'm not the only mom feeling this way."

An armed Florida man stepped up to defend a pregnant woman who was being assaulted by the father of her unborn child in a Publix parking lot.

According to the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office, 27-year-old Cole Joseph Danisment began brutally assaulting the mother of his unborn child, who was 14 weeks pregnant at the time, after an argument in the pharmacy parking lot in December. Danishment began punching her in the face several times and continued the attack by stomping on her head after she had fallen to the ground.

A Chandler, Arizona, man was called a "good Samaritan" by police after he halted a shooting in the parking lot of an Amazon facility and likely prevented further bloodshed

Police say 29-year-old Jacob Murphy pulled into the employee parking lot of an Amazon facility in December, jumped out of his car and began opening fire on employees in the lot. Murphy did not work at the Amazon facility but reportedly had "jealousy issues" with his girlfriend, who worked at the facility.

According to police, Murphy set out to find a male employee of the facility that he only knew by his first name. But when he attempted to enter the building, he was confronted by an employee who thought it was "strange" Murphy was attempting to gain access to the facility. An argument between Murphy and the employee unfolded before Murphy fired multiple shots.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/foiled-five-times-armed-citizens-fought-back-against-attackers-2022

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Myles said:

It's not you that has an unsecured southern border that allows the cartels to do violent business in the country. 

It's not you who has skyrocketing crime and an administration who believes in being soft on crime.

Tell you what, Myles, if you ever want to see a living example as to what you've been talking about all this time, all you gotta do is look at what happened to South Africa all these years after they started their draconian gun control campaigns. Yep, one by one until citizens were reduced to only allowed to having a pistol. 9 out of 10 criminals agree with and love South Africa's gun control laws and now have free reign over it's citizens there..Lol.

Check this out. It shows exactly the end result of gun control in that country and one awful raw  truth that obsessive gun control nuts don't at all mention or want to talk about.

More than 200 000 South Africans object to proposed gun law changes

Scapegoating Gun Owners in South Africa

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Gunn said:

Tell you what, Myles, if you ever want to see a living example as to what you've been talking about all this time, all you gotta do is look at what happened to South Africa all these years after they started their draconian gun control campaigns. Yep, one by one until citizens were reduced to only allowed to having a pistol. 9 out of 10 criminals agree with and love South Africa's gun control laws and now have free reign over it's citizens there..Lol.

Check this out. It shows exactly the end result of gun control in that country and one awful raw  truth that obsessive gun control nuts don't at all mention or want to talk about.

More than 200 000 South Africans object to proposed gun law changes

Scapegoating Gun Owners in South Africa

Yes, until the US government gets crime under control citizens are forced to protect themselves with guns.   That is what I choose to do.   I don't have a carry permit, so mine are just for protecting my home and family.   Hopefully I never have to use them.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Yes, until the US government gets crime under control citizens are forced to protect themselves with guns.   That is what I choose to do.   I don't have a carry permit, so mine are just for protecting my home and family.   Hopefully I never have to use them.  

Hi Myles

I do have to wonder what the crime stats are in the rural area that you live in that make you so nervous.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Myles

I do have to wonder what the crime stats are in the rural area that you live in that make you so nervous.

Not too bad.  Most criminals know that rural areas are inhabited with people that have guns.  

But I live on 8 acres of property and would be a good target.  

1 minute ago, Myles said:

Not too bad.  Most criminals know that rural areas are inhabited with people that have guns.  

But I live on 8 acres of property and would be a good target.  

Hi Myles

Why do you think you would be a good target? I am just curious having grown up in a high crime city who in one year had 2 home invasions and 3 break and enters.

I know I was targeted because people knew I paid for materials and wages cash and generally keep a couple of thousand around all the time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Myles

Why do you think you would be a good target? I am just curious having grown up in a high crime city who in one year had 2 home invasions and 3 break and enters.

I know I was targeted because people knew I paid for materials and wages cash and generally keep a couple of thousand around all the time.

I agree with his assessment.  I live in the city and don't feel the need to own a gun because there plenty of help and witnesses right on the other side of the wall.  If you are more isolated then you are more likely to be the victim of a home invasion if your home is somewhat isolated with your neighbors.  If I lived in a more rural setting I would but a gun for sure.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I agree with his assessment.  I live in the city and don't feel the need to own a gun because there plenty of help and witnesses right on the other side of the wall.  If you are more isolated then you are more likely to be the victim of a home invasion if your home is somewhat isolated with your neighbors.  If I lived in a more rural setting I would but a gun for sure.

Hi OverSword

I am not criticizing him and just curious as I don’t own a firearm nor have I felt a need for one. I lived in a high crime city and had home invasions twice within months of each other and chased them out both times and they got nothing.

Neighbours don’t mean much the guy across the street was a crack dealer and several other houses on the block were not much better so never spoke to any of them ever.

I realize that I grew up different  than you and Myles so our responses will be different I just find it interesting as to what people perceive as a threat.

19 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

14 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Interesting that two people live in a city and have different views.   Huh, must be because they are both human.   Also, may have something to do with the different cities you all live in (or neighborhoods).   Also, @jmccr8, don't you think it is that people knew you and how you do business as being more of an influence on the crimes you have experienced than that you live in a city?

And I am different from @Myles view, as I felt safer when I lived out in the boonies than I did when I lived in the city.   Now I live in a suburb of a city that is in a state that is predominately rural  (within the city limits - population about 550,000).  My daughter lives in a small town outside of Wilmington, DE and there is more crime in Wilmington (population about 71,000) than in Albuqueque.   Weird huh?  And I am told that most of the violent crime is all in one neighborhood in Wilmington, where in Albuquerque all crimes happen all over the city (equal opportunity city :) )

• Like 1

Hi Desertrat

Yes people knew I kept cash at home and on my person and anyone that really knew me knew that I was a scrapper and an independent. I haven’t hidden that I sold pot in those days which was not what I did for a living as I have worked as a contractor for many decades.

Basically the home invasions and break and enters was because of the customers of the crack dealer across the street. If he would not have owned the house I would have thrown bricks through his windows every night until he moved out. I did know his suppliers though and spoke with them and after a visit from them he was told to mind his ps and qs and if there were anymore incidents that they would not interfere in any action I took.

I knew a lot of people and several groups tried to recruit me because of it hoping to get a client base which I would not do. This is not the medium to discuss some things but have had my fights and challenges to stay independent until I quit selling pot. I have never been scared of people or dying for the most part waking up tomorrow was not a big deal for me if I did I did and if I didn’t so be it.

Edited by jmccr8
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Myles

Mostly because if my house is targeted, no one will witness it.   The cops will not be there immediately either if we call them.  

Just now, Myles said:

Mostly because if my house is targeted, no one will witness it.   The cops will not be there immediately either if we call them.  

Hi Myles

Because I sold pot and knew a lot of people some less savoury than others there was no point in calling the police because they wouldn’t come unless it was to arrest me. I had to be my own back all the time from both sides of the law.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Desertrat56 said:

And I am different from @Myles view, as I felt safer when I lived out in the boonies than I did when I lived in the city.   Now I live in a suburb of a city that is in a state that is predominately rural  (within the city limits - population about 550,000).  My daughter lives in a small town outside of Wilmington, DE and there is more crime in Wilmington (population about 71,000) than in Albuqueque.   Weird huh?  And I am told that most of the violent crime is all in one neighborhood in Wilmington, where in Albuquerque all crimes happen all over the city (equal opportunity city :) )

I wouldn't say I don't feel safe but I am not taking any chances with my home and family.  Having guns and knowing that criminals know that most people in rural areas have guns gives me some piece of mind.  

When I lived in the big city, not really a bad part of the city, I felt about the same.  I didn't have a gun but felt like I was looked after by neighbors and other people.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't say I don't feel safe but I am not taking any chances with my home and family.  Having guns and knowing that criminals know that most people in rural areas have guns gives me some piece of mind.  

When I lived in the big city, not really a bad part of the city, I felt about the same.  I didn't have a gun but felt like I was looked after by neighbors and other people.  

That's the way I feel, the neighbors are helpful and even the guy next door who used to have a chop shop and still sells meth sometimes is a good neighbor.   He doesn't want  anyone in the neighborhood mad at him and I suspect he may be an informant for the police because they leave him alone even though they know what he is doing.   He no longer has the chop shop in his garage.  I think he moved it somewhere else.   He comes from a family of criminals and his uncle, who owns the house has been in and out of prison for a lot of things.   His son just go put in prison, named after the uncle and also take after him apparently.   But it is known that if any of us need something and he can help he will, and has.  And after  an incident the druggie customers are told not to use my driveway to turn around.

Edited by Desertrat56
  • Like 2